Trayvon Martin killing: The media -vs- reality

I hope the trial is fair and he is not railroaded for political gain.
I sort of agree. Your post seems to indicate political gain is only 1 sided. Unfortunately political gain can play in either direction. That being said --- I hope the trial is fair and the trail and outcome is not influenced in either direction for any reasons of political gain.

How long has it been since the incident? He's just being arrested now? A press conference is called to announce the charges? I smell politics. I hope that I'm wrong.
Yeah it likely is politics. The Police Chief is playing the politics of oops my group messed that up - how do I best cover my ass.

The trial may be fair, but the outcome is likely to be not a good one. And that's mostly because Florida law is horrible. Regardless of what the verdict is, the only real solution here is to fix the laws which are absolutely insane.

George Zimmerman’s 2nd-Degree Murder Charge Fixes Nothing

But Florida law remains unique. Unlike Texas law, for example, which does not permit deadly force to be used by someone who provokes hostile action, Florida allows someone to use deadly force even if his conduct somehow created the very threat to which his lethal force responds. So if, as Zimmerman claims, Martin walked toward him and asked why he was following him, and Zimmerman reasonably felt threatened by that question, Florida gives him permission to shoot, even though his very conduct provoked Martin's question.

That’s not the end of it: Florida law also permits the use of lethal force by someone whose own welfare is not directly threatened. It even permits the use of lethal force where the only threat is to property—including property not owned by the person using the force.
It seems to me that Florida law makes it a little too easy to blow people away for trivial reasons. If the above quote is correct, then Zimmerman will likely get off. But if he does get off, it suddenly becomes easy to get away with murder in Florida. All you have to do is remember to provoke your target into threatening you in anyway, and once that happens you have green light to blow them away. Good times!

The trial may be fair, but the outcome is likely to be not a good one. And that's mostly because Florida law is horrible. Regardless of what the verdict is, the only real solution here is to fix the laws which are absolutely insane.
Admittedly I only have a surface understanding and haven't dug into this issue as far as I should but my present understanding is the murder rate, and murder without conviction rate in Florida is up in the time since the 'Stand Your Ground' laws came into effect.

It seems to me that Florida law makes it a little too easy to blow people away for trivial reasons. If the above quote is correct, then Zimmerman will likely get off. But if he does get off, it suddenly becomes easy to get away with murder in Florida. All you have to do is remember to provoke your target into threatening you in anyway, and once that happens you have green light to blow them away. Good times!
DING DING DING
We Have a WINNER!

This entire weird mental viewpoint is one reason I would never live in FL. People are insane over their.

and some people still think living in New York is somehow "dangerous". Aside from about 10 years in LA I've lived in NY my entire life and have NEVER felt afraid.
And, yes, I've been in the Bronx, in certain 'questionable' neighborhoods in Brooklyn/Queens and Manhattan over the years. What you need is Street Smarts. Learn to evaluate people INSTANTLY and know when to avoid them.
You don't need to walk around with a gun. That's just false security. my brain is the best weapon I have.

As to what happens in this case, who knows. All I wanted was for the courts to process this case. I watched the OJ trial when I lived in LA and so I saw the evidence and came to MY conclusion after the lawyers made their closing remarks. At least the truth came out. THAT is really what counts.
No matter where OJ goes now (well, he's in jail now. But I mean when he was out and about), he will feel the eyes of the public on him. Many of us KNOW he's guilty.

As long as the truth comes out in this trial, I'll be satisfied.

That's not a law that's a flaw. Seriously that's practically legalisation of murder! But on the plus side, if a woman feels threatened enough by that strange thing growing in her tummy she can as well grab a gun and shoot it. Maybe a bit painful and messy but you have your proof that it was self-defence and not just an abortion!

But on the plus side, if a woman feels threatened enough by that strange thing growing in her tummy she can as well grab a gun and shoot it.
:lol:

I could see that happening in FL. They are crazy over there!

This reminds me of South Park. In one of their early episodes the hunter dude and his 'nam injured hunting buddy argued that one can shoot anything as long as you first scream 'They're coming right for me!' I think they should redo the spot - use Florida instead of the Forest - but keep the audio track unchanged.

"... Zimmerman confronted Martin..."

Horsefeathers!
How can you believe anything in an Affidavit when Whyzzat says otherwise?

We have two posters on this thread who claim to KNOW it was the other way around.
They can prove it.
Sure, the so-called "proof" they presented when pressed was anything but, to the point of being way beyond dubious and well into the realms of dishonest.

However, they are completely convinced so they MUST know something we don't, right?

Right?

right.

the additional facts I am looking forward to hearing about are from the medical examiner. Did he find any evidence of Martin having any other recent injuries? Someone interviewed the undertaker (for Martin) and he claims to not have found any abrasions on Martins hands. I'd like to hear from the medical examiner if he found any evidence of Any kind on Martin's body

oop!!!

George Zimmerman's Bond Revoked

Prosecutors had filed a motion today to revoke his bond, accusing Zimmerman of "deceiving" the court about his finances and his possession of a second passport, which he apparently acquired two weeks after the shooting.
Say it's not so!!!
In recordings of conversations released today during a court hearing, Zimmerman and his wife, Shelly Zimmerman, cryptically talk about his second passport in a safety deposit box they shared.

Although one of his passports was due to expire in May, prosecutors said today, Zimmerman applied for a second passport, informing the State Department that the original had been lost lost or stolen.
shock, horror :eek:

In some of the phone calls between the two, she is at a credit union that was linked to his PayPal account and speaking to a teller. The prosecution said that despite being in jail, Zimmerman was "intimately involved in the deposit and transfer of money into various accounts."

In the conversations, prosecutors say, Zimmerman and his wife speak in code -- reducing the amounts in their financial accounts by a factor of 1,000. Prosecutors said the couple knew that their jailhouse conversations were likely being recorded.
:eek:
The new documents show that Zimmerman had $135,000 in his bank account the day before his bail hearing -- in which he declared himself financially indigent.
shit! I'd love to be 'financially indigent' just like that!!

no thanks, I already lived through THAT one. In fact I was in LA and near the 405 (like blocks away) when OJ was "speeding" down it. and NO I did not run out and look. but that motherfu*ker was on the TV news literally all freaking day.

oy vey :rolleyes:

zimmerman will plead "insanity" from the medication, his retired judge dad will pull some strings and get him off again, right in front of god and everyone... :(

1339587371466.jpg

omg!!! why in the name of gawd is he not asking for the death penalty.... just... omg!!! she looks like she could open a can of bitch on you, you'd never get a lid on.... poor guy...:confused:

there is an agg batt somewhere in that womans past... omg! theyre both violent!!!

metalman, i just cant believe ur defending this... im embarrassed for you now... you really should stop... they are both hop head pill junkies... holy christ how did we ever let that fawkin fool have a gun?.... why did he get away with crimes of actual violence? against cops??? really???

Back