Trayvon Martin killing: The media -vs- reality

Honestly, I think African Americans have shown amazing restraint overall. If this was in any other country there would have been massive riots in the streets numbering in the tens or even hundreds of thousands.

Ignoring the protesters and focusing on the vandals has been going on forever. The Seattle G7 (I think it was only 7 back then) was one near the time it was becoming obvious to me. Thousands of peaceful protesters were ignored for a small rabble of window breakers. It seemed like you couldn't get a protest in the news if someone didn't set fire to something.
Modern protests have worked very hard at keeping the trouble makers out - though protesters have been roughed up and temporarily arrested en masse for such things as not getting on the sidewalk fast enough when asked by police to not doing anything at all.

Honestly, I think African Americans have shown amazing restraint overall.

I'm not sure many other countries would have made such a fuss over the trial. I'm sure many governments would have made some phone calls to let on that such coverage didn't serve the "national interest". I'm still not sure why the media thought this was such a big deal - at least O.J. was pre-famous.

I'm not sure many other countries would have made such a fuss over the trial. I'm sure many governments would have made some phone calls to let on that such coverage didn't serve the "national interest".
But there have been massive riots in many European capitals when things like this happen. The details are slightly different, but so what. Paris burned, London burned, Athens burned....

I'm still not sure why the media thought this was such a big deal - at least O.J. was pre-famous.
Because you have a deeply rooted cynical view of everything perhaps?

Honestly, I think African Americans have shown amazing restraint overall. If this was in any other country there would have been massive riots in the streets numbering in the tens or even hundreds of thousands.
and Trayvon Martin's father and mother have been the epitome of calm dignified mourning.

What they have had to live through is horrendous. ALL they ever asked for was justice. not retribution not violence, just justice.

Zimmerman is punting the gun:

He said he was selling the gun partly to raise funds to fight "Hillary Clinton's anti-firearm rhetoric".

The Martin family would not "comment on the actions of that person", they said.

The one-day online auction opens at 11:00 EDT (15:00 GMT) on Thursday. The opening bidding price for the 9mm pistol is set at $5,000 (£3,464).

On the auction site, Mr Zimmerman refers to the gun as an "American icon", and says it was recently returned to him by the US Department of Justice.

from what I've heard the original web site declined to be part of this auction/travesty

the best thing about this is that zimmerman won't be murdering anyone else with that gun

Anywhere between $200 - $300 USD..

$300 gun fetches $140,000 because why?
Because it was used to kill an unarmed teenager?

Previously unremarkable man receives considerable financial windfall because why?
Because he killed an unarmed teenager and then sold the lethal weapon?

What a depressing indictment of society.

$300 gun fetches $140,000 because why?
Because it was used to kill an unarmed teenager?

Previously unremarkable man receives considerable financial windfall because why?
Because he killed an unarmed teenager and then sold the lethal weapon?

What a depressing indictment of society.
Not saying I agree with the sale (I don't), I'm just answering the question about the pricing...

As for the auction, "worth" is established by what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, even though the act was deplorable, the weapon itself is now a part of history, much like the weapon that killed Lincoln, or the rifle that killed Kennedy. All disgusting acts. The difference being that two are in museums, one was sold on the open market by a questionable jackass who wanted to get paid for his part in the whole drama...

Interestingly, if the money were donated to, for example, youth violence protection charities, I'd have no problem with the sale. I'd see that as him trying to make up for his actions in some small way, but to sell it to "combat Hillary Clinton's anti-gun stance" is bullshit.

Not saying I agree with the sale (I don't), I'm just answering the question about the pricing...

As for the auction, "worth" is established by what someone is willing to pay for it. In this case, even though the act was deplorable, the weapon itself is now a part of history, much like the weapon that killed Lincoln, or the rifle that killed Kennedy. All disgusting acts. The difference being that two are in museums, one was sold on the open market by a questionable jackass who wanted to get paid for his part in the whole drama...

Interestingly, if the money were donated to, for example, youth violence protection charities, I'd have no problem with the sale. I'd see that as him trying to make up for his actions in some small way, but to sell it to "combat Hillary Clinton's anti-gun stance" is bullshit.

I don't disagree with any of that but I still find it depressing.

Back