The Dead Celeb thread, 2021 & 2022 edition

Bob Saget's Death Might Not Have Been Accidental

The world was shocked and saddened by Bob Saget's death on January 9 at the age of 65. Last week, results of the autopsy showed that the beloved actor died from a brain bleed caused by him hitting his head and going to sleep, unaware of how severe an injury he sustained. While the cause of his head injury wasn't known, investigators surmised he slipped and hit his head on something like the headboard of the bed, ruling his death an accident. However, after reviewing the details of his autopsy report, some experts disagree. In fact, they think the injury was so significant it might've even been caused by foul play.

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent, neurosurgeon Dr. Sanjay Gupta, described the injury as "not a simple bump on the head," explaining how various bones in Saget's skull were fractured, in the front and in the back of his add, noting, "It takes a lot of force to do that." Gupta said the injuries are consistent with someone who might have fallen down the stairs or was unrestrained in a car accident.

Other health experts concur, with the chair in neurosurgery at Houston Methodist Hospital telling the New York Times, "This is something I find with someone with a baseball bat to the head, or who has fallen from 20 or 30 feet." He also pointed out that even thick parts of the skull were fractured and added that the injuries would be accompanied by "significant pain."

Some are even questioning how much investigation was done into just how Bob was injured. Former Assistant US Attorney Richard Signorelli tweeted, "No wrongdoing found. Something doesn't makes sense given his severe head injuries," while trauma physician Dr. Megan Ranney stated, "Hi. ICYMI: This is not a 'slip & fall.' This is not a minor concussion. This is MAJOR head trauma. My condolences to Saget's friends & family. I hope that they get answers as to what really happened." She did later add, "PS: this doesn't mean it was INTENTIONAL trauma either. But this is more than just 'I whacked my head on the kitchen cabinet.'"

• Sad
Reactions: adz
Down here in Fort Lauderdale FL we used to have an Entenmann’s store back in the 1980s. Yup, a whole store called Entenmann’s and sold nothing but Entenmann’s. I used to walk to that store routinely. It was cheaper than in the grocery store. To this day major grocery chains like Publix carriers it. RIP.

Charles Entenmann, who helped franchise Long Island family bakery, dead at 92

Charles Entenmann, who propelled his family’s New York bakery into a national brand, died in Florida last month at the age of 92.

Entenmann, his brothers and mother expanded the Bay Shore business across the region and eventually the country, following the 1951 death of his father, William Entenmann, a German immigrant who opened the bakery in Brooklyn in 1898, according to its website.

His family sold its cakes-and-cookies enterprise for $233 million in 1978, which is more than a billion dollars in today’s money, Newsday reported. Entenmann’s still operates under new ownership, but closed its Bay Shore plant in 2014, the article said.

Entenmann, a Korean War veteran, was a supporter and advocate for the Great South Bay YMCA, and funded research to improve water quality and habitats in the bay, which separates his hometown from Fire Island, according to his obituary.

“He never wanted the accolades, the publicity; and when he gave, he gave with all his heart and with complete faith and trust in you,” Anne Brigis, a longtime YMCA executive, told the paper.

Entenmann's cookies and cinnamon swirl bunsThe company started with his father, a German immigrant who opened the bakery in Brooklyn in 1898.Anne Wermiel/NY Post
“He treated everybody with respect. It didn’t matter if you were a janitor at the bakery or a custodian at the Y or senior leadership.”

It's happening any time today :(

WWE LEGEND SCOTT HALL: FAMILY TO 'DISCONTINUE LIFE SUPPORT'... Kevin Nash Mourns

The family of Scott Hall -- the wrestling legend who was one of the famous founding members of the NWO -- will "discontinue" his life support on Monday ... his good friend Kevin Nash announced.

Nash, who wrestled with Hall in the WCW and helped form the NWO with the 63-year-old in the late 1990s, said doctors will end Hall's life support "once his family is in place" later Monday.

"I'm going to lose the one person on this planet I've spent more of my life with than anyone else," Nash wrote on his social media page late Sunday night.

Scott's on life support. Once his family is in place they will discontinue life support. I'm going to lose the one person on this planet I've spent more of my life with than anyone else. My heart is broken and I'm so very {bleep} sad. I love Scott with all my heart but now I have to prepare my life without him in the present. I've been blessed to have a friend that took me at face value and I him. When we jumped to WCW we didn't care who liked or hated us. We had each other and with the smooth Barry Bloom we changed wrestling both in content and pay for those......alot that disliked us. We were the "Outsiders " but we had each other. Scott always felt he wasn't worthy of the afterlife. Well God please have some gold plated toothpicks for my brother. My life was enriched with his take on life. He wasn't perfect but as he always said "The last perfect person to walk the planet they nailed to a cross " As we prepare for life without him just remember there goes a great guy you ain't going to see another one like him again. See Ya down the road Scott. I couldn't love a human being any more than I do you

9ca5563992df4445a13147d88629ea8e.jpg

my main reason for including William Hurt here is because he was in the Sci Fi Channel's "Frank Herbert's Dune", a series I did some of the visual effects for (which won an Emmy Award).

John V. Roach, former Tandy CEO, TCU board chair and early PC pioneer, dead at 83

Fort Worth business legend and TCU alumnus John Vinson Roach II died early Sunday.

He was 83.

After joining the Fort Worth-based Tandy Corp. in 1967, he rose through the ranks and helped turn it into a personal computer behemoth in the late 1970s. At 42, he was named Tandy’s president in 1981 and later CEO from 1983 to 1998.

He joined Tandy as a data processing manager and helped lead the company as a pioneer in the microcomputer industry.

“At that time, neither the concept nor the thought of a personal computer had even been conceived,” Roach said in a TCU Honors biography.

Roach was integral in foreseeing how personal computing could change the future for the business and consumers. In 1977, Tandy introduced one of the first retail home computers, the TRS-80. Tandy hired eventual Microsoft co-founders Bill Gates and Paul Allen to write the software code for the TRS-80.

• Sad
Reactions: adz

John Clayton, longtime NFL reporter and radio host, dies at 67

John Clayton, whose list of contacts in the NFL was matched only by his attention to detail and dedication to his craft, died Friday in Washington after a brief illness, his family said.

He was 67.

Clayton, nicknamed "The Professor," was one of the country's foremost NFL insiders in a five-decade career that included over 20 years with ESPN. Clayton's pursuit of news and information was done with such fervor that, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen said, "Anyone paying attention walked away a little more educated.''

"Long before he became an ESPN icon, John might have been the best news-breaking team beat reporter of his generation, the type who could sit on a story for months and then break it before others had any clue what was going on,'' said The Athletic's Mike Sando, a longtime friend of Clayton's. "He was that good. On a personal level, John was incredibly generous to me when I succeeded him as the Seahawks beat reporter at the Tacoma News Tribune many years ago. I owe so much to John and will miss him terribly.''

John Clayton was one of the last good things at ESPN until he got laid off in 2017. He had strong insight into the NFL and stuck to sports. While he was generally straight laced on his shows, he had no problem proving he had a sense of humor and was a real person. RIP.

275887187_7144732495596812_5957363301269481504_n.jpg

Estelle Harris, Seinfeld Star and Toy Story's Mrs. Potato Head, Dies at 93

Born Estelle Nussbaum on April 4, 1928, Harris got her start in acting in the 1980s with a role in the film Once Upon a Time in America along with a bit recurring part on Night Court. She has also appeared in various films over the years, such as Perfect Alibi, The West Side Waltz, Chairman of the Board, The Odd Couple II, Playing Mona Lisa, Movin' In, CBGB, and Promoted. The veteran actress also starred as a series regular in the show The Pinocchio Shop with her other TV appearances including Married... with Children, Law & Order, Star Trek: Voyager, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, iCarly, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Harris also played Grandmama Addams in the TV movie Addams Family Reunion.

One of Harris' best-known roles of all would be on Seinfeld as Mrs. Costanza, wife of Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller) and mother of George (Jason Alexander). Her character, coincidentally named Estelle, appeared in 27 total episodes during the 1990s. In light of the news, Alexander has taken to Twitter to post a message paying tribute to his TV mother.

There were some early rumblings of the Dolphins drafting him. Obviously they went with Tua instead. Football or no football, 24 is way to young to go.

Dwayne Haskins struck by car and killed

Dwayne Haskins, a former Ohio State star quarterback who was a first-round draft pick in Washington and most recently played in Pittsburgh, has died at the age of 24.

Haskins was killed when he was hit by a car early this morning in South Florida, his agent told Adam Schefter.

At Ohio State, Haskins started just one season but instantly became one of the best players in college football, setting Big Ten records and finishing third in Heisman Trophy voting in 2018.

On the strength of that fantastic season, Washington chose Haskins with the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. But he struggled through an up-and-down rookie season and was released during his second season in 2020.

The Steelers picked him up in 2021, and although he never got on the field for them in the regular season, they said this year that he would have an opportunity to compete for a starting job. Haskins was in Florida this week getting in offseason work with several other Steelers skill position players.

Back