Another mass shooting

That this absurdity is even taken seriously enough that people feel the need to respond in this way is truly depressing.
It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but in 1996 there was a mass shooting in a primary school in Dunblane (~25 miles from here). There hasn't been a school shooting in Scotland in the 26 years since.
Is this because we decided to give guns to teachers?
No. It's because by the following year we had "trampled all over every law abiding citizen's rights" and made it almost impossible for anyone to legally own a firearm of any description.
Were there protests by gun fans? Of course there were. From a personal perspective, my uncle owned a hand gun which he had to give up and he was pretty angry about it at the time. However, gun violence is now rare in Scotland and it doesn't take a genius to see one of the reasons why is that there are hardly any guns in the country.

That this absurdity is even taken seriously enough that people feel the need to respond in this way is truly depressing.
It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but in 1996 there was a mass shooting in a primary school in Dunblane (~25 miles from here). There hasn't been a school shooting in Scotland in the 26 years since.
Is this because we decided to give guns to teachers?
No. It's because by the following year we had "trampled all over every law abiding citizen's rights" and made it almost impossible for anyone to legally own a firearm of any description.
Were there protests by gun fans? Of course there were. From a personal perspective, my uncle owned a hand gun which he had to give up and he was pretty angry about it at the time. However, gun violence is now rare in Scotland and it doesn't take a genius to see one of the reasons why is that there are hardly any guns in the country.
indeed.....and children are paying attention

How do we stop this from happening again is not on either side's mind. "How do we use this to push our agenda ?" is the rule, which is why you get the defensive response.

I don't agree it is cut and dry 50/50 across the parties. Sure you can find a stupid soundbite here or there from the right, but on the left it is a long standing part of their party platform to "never let a good crisis go to waste".

How do we stop this from happening again is not on either side's mind. "How do we use this to push our agenda ?" is the rule, which is why you get the defensive response.
which is why I posted that link to the SCIENCE book and study which indicates exactly WHO is at risk for being killers/suiciders and why.
Knowledge is power.

If people want more common sense laws/procedures related to gun sales they are certainly free to do so, but I'd rather spend time focusing on the people who really will end up doing that sort of violence.

unsurprisingly, the media tends to NOT discuss solutions:

“These behaviors are observable. Someone can notice if their nephew or neighbor is starting to wear fatigues and carry a gun,” said Mary Ellen O’Toole, a retired FBI agent, profiler and the director of George Mason University’s forensic science program.

Some warning signs researchers like O’Toole have identified, such as a change in dress, carrying a gun, and talking about violence online, are behaviors many community gun violence prevention workers have long been on the lookout for in the young Black and Latino people they work with.
Community gun violence prevention programs have existed across the US for decades. Many of them have an established track record of intervening in retaliatory violence throughout neighborhoods by building long-term relationships with the people most likely to be shot or shoot someone else.

While there are significant differences between the dynamics of high-profile mass shootings and community gun violence, community violence prevention workers say their programs’ successful models may have something to offer those who want to stop a future mass casualty event.

These problems can only be solved at the local level.

O’Toole, the retired FBI agent, has researched mass shootings for decades, pulling apart the days, months and even years of a shooter’s life to understand what could have led to their horrific act, ever since 13 people were shot and killed at Columbine high school in Colorado in 1999.

Echoing the community violence prevention workers, she said, “the point of calling out warning behaviors is so that we can pull together resources and make some kind of intervention, but they can’t just be a one-time fix.” And as has been seen with tough-on-crime responses to gun violence, interventions that involve only law enforcement don’t get to the root of the problem, she added.

Similarly, she warned, the types of descriptions politicians so often fall back on after mass shootings – describing the gunman as “evil” – can only lead to draconian responses.

“We shouldn’t put on our 14th-century hat in the way we frame these events,” O’Toole said. “These aren’t monsters, they are human beings that are hateful, see others as objects and have radicalized themselves to become a mass shooter who will go down in infamy.”

Last edited:
side note:

I can TOTALLY see my Mother doing this. She and my Grandmother were FIERCE. My Mother didn't like arguments. She never raised her voice. But she knew what was right and what was wrong. If she saw something wrong she did something about it. No long discussions.

posting this only for the data

Ted Cruz was on UK Ch4 news a minute ago.
Ch4: Are you going to support restrictions on guns?
TC: You have an accent. Where are you from?
Ch4: UK
TC: You have different laws and don't have a 2nd amendment.
Ch4: We also don't have many mass shootings.
TC: Well, statistically, historically, if you look across the world, some countries are worse than the US.

Such an outstandingly idiotic response that I think I'm in love with Ted Cruz but I might just be on the rebound from Trump.
:D

oh, cruz is a moron of gigantic proportions.
"You have an accent." is cracking me up LOL

Most of you here probably sniffed this out, which is why its only me posting about it. The media is doing everything in its power to frame him as a white "Trump supporter", while being as vague as possible. He's no Trump supporter, he's Antifa.

Fake News Media Tries To Paint July 4th Parade Shooter As MAGA​

Most of you here probably sniffed this out, which is why its only me posting about it.
:lol:

Your country has an average of more than one shooting every single fücking day. It's effectively impossible to keep up with them all but I sometimes post about particular shootings if they grab my attention and I have time. I haven't followed this one so have no idea what went on. Maybe it was antifa, maybe it wasn't. However, your track record of calling these things isn't particularly impressive. The reason it's only you posting about this one is that it's only you who sees everything through the prism of liberal v conservative. Your barely veiled glee whenever a shooter turns out to be black, muslim or democrat is evident throughout this thread and this falls into the same category.

Your barely veiled glee whenever a shooter turns out to be black, muslim or democrat is evident throughout this thread

You mean the 99 out of 100 times it happens to be one of those? I point out lies where apparently you'd prefer those lies stand, like the media claiming this guy was MAGA.

Back