Is Obama trying to spark a nuclear WW3?

How much deterrence does North Korea need? North Korea is perhaps the most militarized nation on earth. They have a million+ man ACTIVE army sitting on the Border with the South and are contractually backed by the 2 million+ man army just to the North. They also have over 8 million men in reserve. Within minutes they can level most of Seoul with just conventional weapons alone. They also have in their possession a full supply of biological and chemical weapons, which in some ways are more scary than nukes. I really don't believe anyone sees North Korea as vulnerable to attack here, that's pretty crazy if you ask me. Deterrence is definitely not why North Korea wants the bomb.

Within minutes they could flatten Seoul, within a few more they would not exist at all - because someone can evaporate them without fear of reprisal - unless NK has a nuclear weapon and a way to get it halfway around the world.

If that was your intention then yes.
Well, I didn't see it as a trap when I responded. Does that still count?

The US is not a "they", it is an it. It is composed of individuals (most of whom have almost no influence on what it, as a collective, does), but it acts as a who - like Apple does or BP.
Apple employees didn't vote for Steve Jobs or to sue Samsung. Many anti-US terrorist groups have justified their targeting of US civilians because they view their democracy as the people mandating policy. True or not, that is how they have described it. Anyway, I understand you distinguish between government policy and civilian intent, and when I said "they" I meant the US government.

You don't need to stand with anyone else, if you support decriminalization then you are already an enemy of the state because the state has decided that criminalization is what it stands for, so you stand against it. Of course, so long as you don't actually DO anything about it, it's OK, but you are still a subversive because you hold an opinion contrary to that of the rulers.
Well, you lost me there Fluffy. Maybe you should define what an enemy of the state is because it must be different from how I think of it. Supporting decriminalization isn't even illegal all on it's own, not sure how one becomes an enemy of the state from just supporting that concept. Maybe you should also define "support".

That sounds irrational to me. The author undermined his own headline in the article - although it's possible he never wrote the headline as often that's the editor's job. "Crazy" never appears in the article itself.
Israel has a similar strategy (but a different relationship to the Super Power) that is, they have nukes and act like a mad dog if anyone so much as looks at them funny. In fact, Israel has even said as much as that it has missiles that could hit any capital in Europe and it's a poorly guarded secret

Within minutes they could flatten Seoul, within a few more they would not exist at all - because someone can evaporate them without fear of reprisal - unless NK has a nuclear weapon and a way to get it halfway around the world.
You make the assumption that the US would resort to nukes even if the North used nothing but conventional weapons. I'm not convinced to be honest. I think the US would be rather nervous about using nukes that close to China. It's just too much shit hitting the fan here. A conventional response would likely be enough to stop the North as they did in the 1950s.

Still, I firmly believe that no one on Earth actually wants a war or even thinks someone would start one intentionally. And that goes for North Korea. I think having China's backing is more than enough to guarantee their safety from any aggressive attack. No, North Korea is doing all this for other reasons that have nothing to do with fear of an imminent attack.

You make the assumption that the US would resort to nukes even if the North used nothing but conventional weapons.
I don't necessarily think that they would but - all options would be on the table. They'll never say they won't. However, if NK did try to preemptively nuke the US then the US could immediately respond without having to go to the UN or anything. It would be messy and quick and we'd all have to deal with the fallout afterwards.
If NK does something conventional then the US has already demonstrated its willingness to respond conventionally.
NK isn't in a position to start something - the best they can do is muster a strong response that would deter an attack. The NK nuke is for deterrence. They know that and the US knows that. Everybody knows that if they go first they are dead. They just want the US to know that if they are attacked they are ready to counter and willing to counter like a mad dog. It's not a coincidence that they get vocal during joint SK/US exercises.

The NK nuke is for deterrence.
Sorry, I'm just not convinced. To me the North Korea + China combo completely mirrors South Korea + US. Neither side is likely to start anything because both are backed by heavy hitters. If anything, North Korea has the advantage as China is right next door. A nuclear North Korea is an attempt to alter this balance and give themselves an advantage. What will likely happen is that eventually South Korea will end up building their own nuclear arsenal as well.

A nuclear North Korea is an attempt to alter this balance and give themselves an advantage.
They .... can't .... use .... it. Not as a first strike weapon. It is the Samson option, it is a poison pill - it is the finger you give while you die. It can only raise the cost to your enemy, not change the fact of your ultimate defeat. It is something you use if you are already beaten, just to spoil the party for the other chap. It constrains the US ability to act. That is in fact what makes it so dangerous to the US, not Kim using it unprovoked.

They .... can't .... use .... it. Not as a first strike weapon.
No, not if they are acting rationally. But it's still a political advantage in the sense that they have one more thing to brandish, and they will brandish it. And this type of behavior isn't good or healthy. China has issues with many surrounding nations, but it doesn't threaten pre-emptive nuclear war nor does it release YouTube videos depicting their "enemies" being incinerated in a huge ball of fire either. North Korea may not intend to follow through on those threats, but people generally don't appreciate being threatened. If I put a gun to your head you'd probably want to pound the crap out of me even if I later point out the gun was never loaded. You know, the situation would have been a lot different if North Korea quietly developed it's nuclear arsenal and never threatened all it's neighbors with flaming death.

But again, what troubles most people isn't what North Korea actually intends to do, but the fact that they seem to allow much of it to chance. Two heavily armed enemies that close to each other is likely to lead to war at some point. If not now, some time later. One stupid mistake from one or the other and we could have a war that no one wants. And if a war of stupidity does occur, I'd rather it not be nuclear.

No, not if they are acting rationally.
Right but your position remains that they're crazy and therefore have to be dealt with. After all, Saddam was crazy too and threatened the west with annihilation with WMD in 45 minutes. Amedinejhad is crazy and threatens to wipe Israel off the map. Etc. Etc.

I guess Kim should just be glad he hasn't been likened to Hitler because that's usually the last step before we start bombing.

Luckily we have Obama as the President. He'll actually bomb NK back. If GWBush was still in charge we'd be invading Vietnam.

Luckily we have Obama as President, otherwise we wouldn't know:
  • it was Jefferson's fault for attacking the Barbary states rather than Korea.
  • it was Roosevelt’s fault for declaring war on Japan rather than Korea
  • it was Roosevelt s fault for dropping the nuclear bomb on Japan rather than North Korea
  • it was Truman's fault for firing MacArthur rather than allow him to defeat North Korea
Obama: "< whatever the problem >, it's GWB's fault"

"Obama the Incompetent"

Well that's funny. I used the decoder ring Metalman sent me to decode his post, and this is what it decodes to:
Luckily we had GWB as President, otherwise we wouldn't know:
it was GWB who wasted trillions of dollars and thousands of lives in the Iraq war fiasco.
it was GWB who squandered all the good will the US received after the 9/11 attacks.
it was GWB who allowed Osama bin Ladden to allude capture for years.
it was GWB who allowed US foreign policy to be hijacked by a bunch of lunatics.

GWB: Created so many problems the next five presidencies will be devoted to cleaning up the mess.

"GWB the Incompetent"

So you've been speaking in code all along. Brilliant!

Well that's funny. I used the decoder ring Metalman sent me to decode

you must have used Obama's keyword in the decoder

here is the great Obama shooting baskets, where George Bush once shot baskets

"it's GWB's fault"

Obama: "< whatever the problem >, it's GWB's fault"
Do note I only blamed Bush for setting the precedence of attacking a nation that didn't attack us first. It's like the bully who beats up the little kid because that little kid looked at the bully funny. Obama has yet to actually take that action. I suspect Obama will attack the actual nation that attacked. Hitting back after being hit.

Well that's funny. I used the decoder ring Metalman sent me to decode his post, and this is what it decodes to:

So you've been speaking in code all along. Brilliant!
thanks! I think you finally figured out his problem

and here I just figured it was a serious mental illness :D

Luckily we have Obama as the President. He'll actually bomb NK back. If GWBush was still in charge we'd be invading Vietnam.
That's balls. Dubya would have bombed NK back immediately because that's what he would have to do. He worked int he same system Obama works in. That would be the required response. Dubya DID go after Afghanistan right away even though Afghanistan, as a state, did not attack the US and were open to negotiating the capture and deportation of Osama bin Laden. What the Bush administration then did (because Bush was second fiddle to Cheney really) was to invade Iraq, something that had long been on the agenda in various factions of the US which happened to be the faction that held sway in the White House - the neo-cons. The Baker faction was able to curb them after the fact but they managed at least one of the wars they had always wanted.

Bush would certainly not have invaded Vietnam because Vietnam has been brought into the fold already (signed on with the WTO) and unless they are thinking of leaving that arrangement they should be fine - plus the fact that their proven oil reserves have recently fallen off a cliff.
I suspect your statement was supposed to be humerous and I suspect that you got it from somewhere else - but it really is embarrassingly simplistic and jingoistic. It's just yelling "Our Prez is better than your Prez" tribalism with very little appreciation of the fact that it's still mostly the same government.

@Fluffy,

I think you took faethor's post a little more seriously than I think he intended. I read it as a demonstration of Bush logic (or lack there of) behind the invasion of Iraq as a response to 9/11 even though Iraq had no connection to 9/11. There's little reason to believe Bush would have actually invaded Vietnam or even wanted to. :rolleyes:

Also, it's doubtful that the current Obama administration would have invaded Iraq.

Do note I only blamed Bush for setting the precedence of attacking a nation that didn't attack us first.

Bull, Obama has attacked his own people.

Also, if/when North Korea nukes a US city, the blood will be on Obama's hands and the left's hands.

Back