So .... Gaza

Bt4IFq9CEAAh0no.jpg

Just thought I'd post this before metalman did. :)
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Hamas launches rockets beside reporter LOL

Last edited:
Hamas launches rockets beside reporter LOL
LOL indeed. Now let us LOL at what Israel is launching at Gaza.

If Hamas could do that to Israel they would have a negotiated settlement by now.

Israel, just as with any other corporation (states also being corporations) weighs it's options and makes calculations when it acts. That doesn't mean that the calculations are good, but they are done. This attack on Gaza has clearly gone on too long. While FIFA blunted the first part the devastation, flow of "telegenically dead" babies has broken through the most rigid media filters. Even US news organizations have had to admit that this is pretty much the international equivalent of the gang kicking of the blind one legged beggar who hasn't yet learned to keep his mouth respectfully shut concerning the local don.
This may be more costly that Operation Cast Lead was in terms of loss of global sympathy and yet, right now the US is resupplying Israel with weapons at US taxpayer expense despite being somewhat appalled. Israel will have some push back from populations of other countries in terms of divestment and boycott and rhetoric, but most of the leadership on the planet is beholden to the US and will largely toe the US line. Besides, Israel has done the US a favour by overshadowing the crimes the Ukrainian army is committing against its own people.
Mostly it is costly to Gazans who have lost relatives but mostly lost civilian infrastructure vital to supporting the lives of the people. Without power there is no water and there is no sewage treatment. Without an open border and access to supplies there is no health care, and without hospitals and government infrastructure there is no disease tracking and response coordination. Without police stations there is no law enforcement - and since Hamas is the government like the Baath party were the government in Iraq, civil Gaza is being almost completely dismantled.
Perhaps the ultimate pay-off that Israel is hoping for is that life will become so impossible for the people of Gaza, when they do finally negotiate a border to be opened then many of them will simply flee - but who will take them? Will Egypt allow them to flow in their direction?
And if not, then will the conditions lead to mass death from disease and starvation? I'm sure this would be regarded as an equally good final solution to the Palestinian question.

Last edited:
LOL indeed. Now let us LOL at what Israel is launching at Gaza.
If Hamas could do that to Israel they would have a negotiated settlement by now.

seems to be a LOT of secondary explosions, from underground locations

Last edited:
Criticizing Israel

As a liberal American Jew, my face reddened as I read frequent Slate contributor Shmuel Rosner’s New York Times op-ed last week, “Israel’s Fair-Weather Fans,” in which he expressed dismay at other liberal American Jews who have recently written columns critical of Israel. The reddening was about at least three things at once: I felt chastened, but also puzzled and frustrated. Rosner singled out three American Jewish commentators, Jonathan Chait, Ezra Klein, and Roger Cohen, and took them to task for saying, as he put it, “that the brutal war in Gaza has made them question their Zionism.”

Back