Ready for the next Ice Age? Winter is coming.

Greenland may have already committed us to almost a foot of sea level rise

How long that takes to play out is unclear.

View from a survey flight over the Helheim/Kangerlussuaq region of Greenland.

While it's possible to halt global warming by halting our greenhouse gas emissions, sea level rise is a consequence that keeps on giving. Great ice sheets like Greenland and Antarctica have tremendous inertia—they're slow to melt but carry on melting even after the thermometer stabilizes. There are many reasons for this, including complex processes beneath glaciers that control their rate of downhill flow. And this complexity makes projecting ice loss over the coming century—and centuries—exceptionally challenging.

Greenland may have already committed us to almost a foot of sea level rise

How long that takes to play out is unclear.

While it's possible to halt global warming by halting our greenhouse gas emissions, sea level rise is a consequence that keeps on giving. Great ice sheets like Greenland and Antarctica have tremendous inertia—they're slow to melt but carry on melting even after the thermometer stabilizes. There are many reasons for this, including complex processes beneath glaciers that control their rate of downhill flow. And this complexity makes projecting ice loss over the coming century—and centuries—exceptionally challenging.
and Trans people will be disproportionately effected which is why the government of Canada just announced a $100M package to help the 2SLGBTQAI+ community.

Coldest wind chill ever recorded in continental US, say forecasters

Forecasters say the coldest wind chill ever has been recorded in the continental US as an Arctic cold snap freezes a swathe of North America.
The National Weather Service (NWS) said the icy gusts on Mount Washington in New Hampshire on Friday produced a wind chill of -108F (-77C).
Nearly 100 million people across the north-eastern US and Canada are shivering in the frigid blast.
Authorities warned frostbite could strike in less than 10 minutes.
Residents from Manitoba to Maine are being urged to limit their time outdoors until Saturday in the "once-in-a-generation" cold snap.
The NWS said the actual temperature on the summit of Mount Washington at 20:00 on Friday (01:00 GMT Saturday) was down to -46F - the coldest ever recorded there.

and Trans people will be disproportionately effected which is why the government of Canada just announced a $100M package to help the 2SLGBTQAI+ community.
Why do the midgets always get left out? Don’t forget or leave the midgets behind! They are people too!

This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It has never warmed this much, this quickly.
Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.
An important new study, published last week with little fanfare, highlights a worrying development.
Over the past 15 years, the Earth's accumulated heat has increased by 50%, with most of the extra going into the oceans.
This is having real world consequences - not only did the overall temperature of the oceans hit a new record in April this year, in some regions the difference from the long term was enormous.
In March, sea surface temperatures off the east coast of North America were as much as 13.8C higher than the 1981-2011 average.

Not caused by climate change but won't help matters.

As sea levels rise, the East Coast is also sinking

Coastal lands are subsiding and losing elevation, making rising seas all the worse.

Chesapeake Bay is subsiding up to 5 millimeters a year, greatly exacerbating sea-level rise. It's a growing problem up and down the Atlantic coast.

Enlarge / Chesapeake Bay is subsiding up to 5 millimeters a year, greatly exacerbating sea-level rise. It's a growing problem up and down the Atlantic coast.

Climate scientists already know that the East Coast of the United States could see around a foot of sea-level rise by 2050, which will be catastrophic on its own. But they are just beginning to thoroughly measure a “hidden vulnerability” that will make matters far worse: The coastline is also sinking. It’s a phenomenon known as subsidence, and it’s poised to make the rising ocean all the more dangerous, both for people and coastal ecosystems.
New research published in the journal Nature Communications finds that the Atlantic coast—home to more than a third of the US population—is dropping by several millimeters per year. In Charleston, South Carolina, and the Chesapeake Bay, it’s up to 5 millimeters (a fifth of an inch). In some areas of Delaware, it’s as much as twice that.

Five millimeters of annual sea-level rise along a stretch of coastline, plus 5 millimeters of subsidence there, is effectively 10 millimeters of relative sea-level rise. Atlantic coastal cities are already suffering from persistent flooding, and the deluge will only get worse as they sink while seas rise. Yet high-resolution subsidence data like this isn’t yet taken into account for coastal hazard assessments.

Our overheating world is likely to break a key temperature limit for the first time over the next few years, scientists predict.

Researchers say there's now a 66% chance we will pass the 1.5C global warming threshold between now and 2027.
The chances are rising due to emissions from human activities and a change in weather patterns expected this summer.
If the world passes the limit, scientists stress the breach, while worrying, will likely be temporary.
Waffle waffle blah blah blah. No wonder nothing gets done. Sure, we'll be over 1.5C ... but not in "that way". Carry on everybody.

Waffle waffle blah blah blah. No wonder nothing gets done. Sure, we'll be over 1.5C ... but not in "that way". Carry on everybody.
I joked about this many years ago (on here I think) but I'm genuinely caring less and less as I age. The joke back then was the I don't have any kids so why should I give a toss about the environment? The older I get, the more I find myself genuinely trending towards that position. I'm only a hop, skip and a jump away from a complete, "fück humanity, you've brought this on yourselves and you deserve what you get, and I'm going to burn the bejeezurs out of every fossil fuel I can to accelerate the process, and revel in the warmth of your probable demise, you wasteful, selfish idiots!"

The oceans have hit their hottest ever recorded temperature as they soak up warmth from climate change, with dire implications for our planet's health.
The average daily global sea surface temperature beat a 2016 record this week, according to the EU's climate change service Copernicus.
It reached 20.96C. That's far above the average for this time of year.
Oceans are a vital climate regulator. They soak up heat, produce half Earth's oxygen and drive weather patterns.
Warmer waters have less ability to absorb carbon dioxide, meaning more of that planet-warming gas will stay in the atmosphere. And it can also accelerate the melting of glaciers that flow into the ocean, leading to more sea level rise.

The flooding at the Burning Man festival is a conspiracy to make people believe in climate change, according to everyone's favourite mad-mental Q-anon congresswoman.
And she went on the reputable Alex Jones show to remind everyone of how seriously they should take her.

Back