Obama will unilaterally attack Syria Thursday

Afghanistan just wasn't bloody enough. Taking out Saddam even if it was all on a false pretext was one way for them to strike back. It's really no different than the moral justification used by Islamic terrorists who attack innocent civilians - they know they had nothing to do with any of their problems but they don't care to draw that distinction.

Really no different?
I don't imagine you've really thought that through (either that or you're taking the pish).

Really no different?
I don't imagine you've really thought that through (either that or you're taking the pish).
Well, please explain what I missed here. Perhaps I just didn't write what I meant properly (English has never been my strong point).

Bk0MSJBIAAAkaQU.jpg

So he get's invited as a guest on Fox News ...

The filing deadline — Thursday, April 10th, at 5:00 p.m. — passed has now passed without any forms being submitted by Dickinson to run for office ...

:lol:

What's worse is you also like to identify with lefty politics which really doesn't do any liberal minded person any favors. It's because of people like you that the Occupy movement was often accused of being an extension of Russian anti-Americanism. You're more a hindrance than a help, your extreme views scare people and that's the main reason it's important for the non-extremists to distance themselves from people like you.

The reason Occupy was dismantled, and dismantled in a coordinated way with multiple jurisdictions and homeland security and other local and federal agencies, is because it was a focus for legitimate complaints in the US and could have caused some actual political turmoil for the owners. The Tea Party movement was coopted quite easily by the Republicans but the Dems, who thought they should be natural partners to coopt the left failed because ... Occupy recognized that the Dems could never be anything but gnat's hair more left of right than the Republican party. However, at no time did Dmitry Medvedev fly into Zuccoti Park and stand before the assembled declaring Russia's support for Occupy's right to be addressed nor did Russia tell all the other countries of the world not to interfere with their blatant (five billion dollar) support of Occupy.

This is the pattern of overthrow (including colour revolutions) that we see over and over again. Country's economically destabilized (sanctions on some pretext) and/or politically destabilized (massive funding of NGOs), legitimate complaints of the people co-opted, then, even if the government capitulates, the unleashing of thugs, often local extremist groups or organized crime, insertion of new chosen leaders into power and none of the original grievances of the people addressed - because the people are only useful as a lever. Once used, no-one cares. Wherever this happens, the IMF steps in, public resources are sold off and people are impoverished. If the plan doesn't work out then the final step is to go in with bombs and bust the country up so badly the people will accept any new rulers just for some peace. Same old same old back through history.

And how do you get basically decent human beings to go to war to kill other people they have really nothing to do with? You have to terrify them or appeal to their better instincts. Tell them that the other guys are insane, that they don't operate on reason (no matter how long they've been successfully building a country without invading all their neighbours) or you tell people that we have to go help people who are being oppressed. Basically lies. Because once we get over there to help people, we end up helping them like we helped the people of Iraq. Iraq is still immensely violent and unstable. The new (god) government of Iraq is still killing its own people (as in Fallujah again). The infrastructure which was built under Saddam and which served the people still isn't up to the standard it was before we blew it all up to save the Iraqis.

Whenever you buy into the "necessity" of a war, you are part of the problem of war. So long as leaders can find suckers who will support wars then we will also have suckers who fight them. If only it were the people who actually wanted the war that would fight them, then the problem would solve itself soon enough.

Knowing their view point is kinda interesting in that you know what they want you to think. Sure. But passing it off to others as truth and claiming they're as reliable as any other news source is highly questionable to put it nicely. Btw, we also knew this guy's point of view as well:

07-minister.jpg
That's an extreme example and that doesn't make it unfair to bring up - it quickly became apparent that there were American forces in Baghdad. On the other hand, the Iraqis said they had no WMD. Now, which of those was the bigger fundamental issue do you think? And who was right?

But it's much more than that. Many Americans wanted blood after 9/11, and that's a fairly normal human thing actually. Afghanistan just wasn't bloody enough. Taking out Saddam even if it was all on a false pretext was one way for them to strike back.
So, basically, provided that the Americans were sufficiently emotionally riled up, even if it was by lies ... what? Made it OK to kill other people?

By the way, the lead up to the US invasion of Iraq saw some of the biggest anti-war marches ever, even in the US. For the most part the US media ignored them and if they bothered to report them would slash the estimates of the numbers.

Did the media play a role in this, yes, but only to the extent of confirmation biases applies. People seek out the opinions they want and there's always someone out there willing to peddle it. But that doesn't mean that every media source is equally slanted. [...] The thing about the mainstream US media is that they read the writing on the wall and stopped wondering if there will be an invasion and started talking about how the invasion will go down
Who's confirmation bias? Who decided that war was a done deal and just went with it? Even while people were protesting and even if Hans Blix was getting on the TV (briefly) he was being bashed constantly by talking heads for being a pussy and a simpleton letting the Iraqis push him around. If you said anything anti-war (Donahue) you were "let go". The whole direction of the main stream media (and the direction is always set from the top, because ... Donahue) was promoting a war on Iraq. After it got going, after it all fell apart, that's when they say: "Oops. Looks like we goofed", but nothing changes. Every news outlet has a choice about what to cover and what not to cover. You will see divisions in the MSM over gay rights, Christmas, the poor, but you cannot push a playing card between their positions on foreign policy. If the news organizations were simply reporting what was actually going on in the lead up to the Iraq war it would have been politically impossible to carry out.

Yes, I know that's how you see me. That I've changed. I don't think people change so much, even you. My perception of you however has changed. I thought you stood for the moral good but I see now that you're more agenda driven.
Still do.
Perhaps when Hitler died we should all have had a minute of silence, then produced many varied radio retrospectives of his life and accomplishments, of his love of art and dogs, conversations of those who knew and loved him, you know, because that's what we do with our warmongers ... When they die we like to say stupid stuff like, let's not think now about all the damage and harm such and such a leader did to thousands of innocent lives, because we should show them some respect in death.
Or perhaps we can just say good riddance because the war Hitler prosecuted killed vast numbers of people no matter how good Hitler thought the cause was.
Personally I don't care if it's one of our warmongers or one of theirs, I oppose them both. And equally I oppose those who like to try to start wars, usually by lies and subterfuge, because, like I said, that's the way you HAVE to start them.
The wars we fight are for the profit of a few. All of them. They are all wrong. And the US has fought more wars since the end of WWII than any other nation on earth. PNAC is more than just an acronym. It's a continuation of the US policy of the previous century, only doubled.

Researchers based atKing's College Londonreveal how social media is being harnessed by a network of radical preachers to inspire and guide British and other western Muslims waging jihad in Syria.

By examining tweets and Facebook postings used by certain rebels, people who follow the conflict from abroad and the two clerics, the academics say they have been able to provide a "unique and unfiltered window into the minds" of western and European foreign fighters in Syria.

The information allowed the analysts to identify a "set of new spiritual authorities" who have the largest followings. The report says they are the American-based cleric Ahmad Musa Jibril and the Australian preacher Musa Cerantonio. Both speak English and are based in the west.

Although there is no evidence to suggest these individuals are physically involved in facilitating the flow of foreign fighters to Syria, or that they are co-ordinating their activity with jihadist organisations, they are playing the role of cheerleaders. "It is clear that they are important figures whose political, moral and spiritual messages are considered attractive to a number of foreign fighters," the researchers conclude.

"Syria may be the first conflict in which a large number of western fighters have been documenting their involvement in conflict in real-time, and where – in turn – social media represents an essential source of information and inspiration to them," the report, a product of a year-long study, concludes.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rleaders-social-media-syria-london-university

Found this picture in the paper last November - thought it was interesting - but then forgot I had it on my phone.
FSA.jpg

Back