Obama will unilaterally attack Syria Thursday

Seems Assad is a big pussy. Looks like he doesn't even have the balls to bomb his own people, or that seems to be what Al-Qaeda thinks, else what's the point of human shields? Plus... beheading spree!

Seems Assad is a big pussy. Looks like he doesn't even have the balls to bomb his own people, or that seems to be what Al-Qaeda thinks, else what's the point of human shields? Plus... beheading spree!
Or maybe the al-Qaeda whackos make such great headlines with their atrocities that the entire Syrian opposition is painted with the same brush. This has been Assad's strategy since the early summer of 2013, to refocus his forces against the "good guys" of the FSA and let the al-Qaeda wackos fill the front pages with horror. It worked. But I wouldn't give Assad the credit for thinking that up. I'd credit that to Putin. Assad doesn't really control his country anyway, he's bought and paid for.

What sickens me the most is that it's people like you who are doing Assad's dirty work. Personally, the blood that's in those beheading videos is the same blood on your hands. I see you as an accomplice because he needs people like you to spread the lies to provide the cover for the murders. It thoroughly disgusts me to be honest.

Or maybe the al-Qaeda whackos make such great headlines with their atrocities that the entire Syrian opposition is painted with the same brush.
I have said multiple times that they don't represent the opposition, but nor do most of the people with guns. The opposition was a political movement, not a military one but lots of bad asses moved in on the opportunity and took it over. Al-Qaeda, as you have admitted, are the guys that know how to fight and have the mania for it, so they tend to push aside the less radical groups. Plus they are well funded, for a while openly by the US and its allies and now still by Saudi Arabia.
What sickens me the most is that it's people like you who are doing Assad's dirty work. Personally, the blood that's in those beheading videos is the same blood on your hands. I see you as an accomplice because he needs people like you to spread the lies to provide the cover for the murders. It thoroughly disgusts me to be honest.
That's not a rational response. That's a plea to emotions, ad hominem and guilt by association. Plus it's bollocks. I don't know why you hate Assad so much you are willing to kill thousands of Syrians. You certainly didn't hate Saddam that much - but you've changed.

When Obama mentioned costs, I assumed Syria might have been one of them. But what this article talks about is something that would have required months of planning and still months more to execute. That's unlikely to be a direct response to Ukraine. No, the US should be equally bold as are the Russians at least in terms of flexing their muscle. I still think an air campaign would quickly wipe out Assad's forces and that's something Obama needs to start talking about again. That will make it a little clearer what the cost of Ukraine will look like.

When Obama mentioned costs, I assumed Syria might have been one of them. But what this article talks about is something that would have required months of planning and still months more to execute.
So did Ukraine. That's been in play for over a year.
That's unlikely to be a direct response to Ukraine. No, the US should be equally bold as are the Russians at least in terms of flexing their muscle. I still think an air campaign would quickly wipe out Assad's forces
Russia has bases in Crimea for hundreds of years. So that means they have suddenly invaded? Russia is just standing it's ground, not waging an airwar on Panama or anything.
and that's something Obama needs to start talking about again. That will make it a little clearer what the cost of Ukraine will look like.
The cost to the US tax payer and to the people of Syria and Ukraine. You're such a fan of military solutions I presume you'll be signing up soon.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

So did Ukraine. That's been in play for over a year.
Funny, I suspected the same thing. Russia's response was far too swift and well orchestrated to have been a last minute thing as Putin likes to pretend.

Russia has bases in Crimea for hundreds of years. So that means they have suddenly invaded? Russia is just standing it's ground, not waging an airwar on Panama or anything.
You see this is what infuriates me about you. The bases in Crimea are not the issue. The issue is what's happening outside of those bases. It's the Ukrainian military that has been encircled and has had electricity and food re-supplies discontinued. It is the Ukrainian navy that has been blockaded. Your two pronged attack is to make it look like the Ukrainians are a bunch of nazis (not even neo-nazis, the prefix has been formally dropped from all Russian official propaganda, they're just nazis) rampaging around causing all sorts of mayhem and destruction against the good Russians in the Crimea - which so far appears to be completely bogus, and that the Russian military has played no role at all in the internal affairs of Ukraine including the Crimea - also very hard to believe. You do however post a very vague video of a small group of unidentified armed men who are of course identified as Blackwater operatives (which btw, one can clearly see in one of the photos at least one of the men is equipped with an ak47, I would have expected M4s. Mercs? Maybe, but probably former Ukrainian spetznaz but they seemed too disorganized even for that) - all while completely ignoring the thousands of unidentified armed men driving around in Russian military vehicles and equipped with state of the art Russian weaponry. American militias must be so jealous.

This is what I'd expect from a Putin propagandist, not from someone who tries to pass himself off as fair and objective. It's impossible to take you seriously when you spend so much effort to uncover the slightest bit of dirt for one side while at the same time ignoring far worse transgressions from the other. But you're even worse than that, you also spend a huge amount of effort running interference for one side as well, propagating lies and when all else fails cast as much doubt to murky up the waters as best you can.

What's worse is you also like to identify with lefty politics which really doesn't do any liberal minded person any favors. It's because of people like you that the Occupy movement was often accused of being an extension of Russian anti-Americanism. You're more a hindrance than a help, your extreme views scare people and that's the main reason it's important for the non-extremists to distance themselves from people like you. I'm also rather disappointed that I'm the only one that has taken up the task to challenge you, I can't be the only one who finds your extreme views a detriment. Although I guess, it's a pretty tiny group here and I imagine that few have the amount of time that you do to come up with proper counter arguments.

If Assad wins Yabroud, Assad will win the war in Syria

Syrian aircraft continue to pound the Sunni rebel stronghold of Yabroud

Obama and Kerry drew a “red line”on Syria

Assad has split the rebels into warring factions. He still has the majority of his chemical weapons. He is still in power, and with negotiations stalled, it’s unlikely he’ll be removed.

In short, he’s won.

SmartDiplomacy™ at work!!

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for Nobel Peace Prize for his intervention in Syria, because he “actively promotes settlement of all conflicts arising on the planet.”

:thumbs up: Kum bye Yah!

Hmmm... went to the page and, well, it looks like there's going to be a lot of murder on display and I'm eating lunch at the moment so I didn't watch it.
Yes ... but the perpetrators are so joyful.

This thread was started on August 28th, 2013. That would have made Thursday August the 29th. In fact the attack was not planned for August 29th but for September 2nd which was a Monday. That's just one of the little titbits in Seymour Hersh's latest unreported report "The Red Line and the Rat Line".

Among the tastey nibblets:

Why did Obama delay and then relent on Syria when he was not shy about rushing into Libya? The answer lies in a clash between those in the administration who were committed to enforcing the red line, and military leaders who thought that going to war was both unjustified and potentially disastrous.

British intelligence had obtained a sample of the sarin used in the 21 August attack and analysis demonstrated that the gas used didn’t match the batches known to exist in the Syrian army’s chemical weapons arsenal. The message that the case against Syria wouldn’t hold up was quickly relayed to the US joint chiefs of staff.

Prime Minister Recep Erdoğan was known to be supporting the al-Nusra Front, a jihadist faction among the rebel opposition, as well as other Islamist rebel groups. ‘We knew there were some in the Turkish government,’ a former senior US intelligence official, who has access to current intelligence, told me, ‘who believed they could get Assad’s nuts in a vice by dabbling with a sarin attack inside Syria – and forcing Obama to make good on his red line threat.’

In its final report in December, the mission said that at least 19 civilians and one Syrian soldier were among the fatalities, along with scores of injured. It had no mandate to assign responsibility for the attack, but the person with knowledge of the UN’s activities said: ‘Investigators interviewed the people who were there, including the doctors who treated the victims. It was clear that the rebels used the gas. It did not come out in public because no one wanted to know.’

In the aftermath of the 21 August attack Obama ordered the Pentagon to draw up targets for bombing. Early in the process, the former intelligence official said, ‘the White House rejected 35 target sets provided by the joint chiefs of staff as being insufficiently “painful” to the Assad regime.’
(The strike was obviously too small to be the incredibly minute strike that Biden promised).

The new target list was meant to ‘completely eradicate any military capabilities Assad had’, the former intelligence official said. The core targets included electric power grids, oil and gas depots,[...]
In other words, all the usual civilian targets, same as in Kosovo, same as in Iraq, same as in Libya and yes, it IS a war crime. But preventing the civilians from having anything moved by an electric pump including gasoline, diesel and clean water and crippling waste disposal and hospitals would just be to teach Assad not to gas people he didn't gas, right?

By the last days of August the president had given the Joint Chiefs a fixed deadline for the launch. ‘H hour was to begin no later than Monday morning [2 September], a massive assault to neutralise Assad,’

And on and on... and if you read far enough there is also stuff on Benghazi in there.

One main criticism of Hersh is that he makes liberal use of anonymous sources. We're just supposed to believe him when he claims he has insiders at all levels of government, and not just in the US but other nations as well. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately we live in a world where naming sources gets them jailed. On the other hand, the main stream press and our own governments use similarly vague and unnamed sources and sometimes refuse even to divulge any information that an independant might attempt to verify because of national security. Either you believe the US shadow government, or you believe the terrorists.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Unfortunately we live in a world where naming sources gets them jailed.
Perhaps, but I tend to refrain from posting articles that make such liberal use of unnamed sources. The problem is that when reading such articles it's easy to believe that the author found the source, but it's quite often that the source found the author. There are many people and governments with their own agendas that can easily feed false facts to a sympathetic author.

I don't think it's that black and white. If you were to just read a single "normal" website such as the Daily Beast or Slate.com you'd find opposing articles posted at the same time on the same site and the comments section full of people on either side of the debate - and in my opinion that's a good sign of a well balanced news site. I remember back in 1993 al-Jazeera was being described by right wing hawks as an illegitimate news source during the build up to the invasion, but from my perspective it seemed that al-Jazeera wasn't only hated by right wing American hawks but by many Arab governments and Muslim extremists as well. That's how you know a news agency is close to the truth, when everyone hates it.

Sites like Fox News, Alex Jones, RT.com, etc are a lot more slanted and tend to preach to the choir. These seem to be the sites you tend to get your sources from but really you're just validating your own political views. You know, I came to the conclusions I came to in 2003 simply by reading mainstream news sources. I didn't need or want wacko conspiracy theorists to "open my eyes". When was the last time a Republican was outraged by what was shown elusively on Fox? When was the last time Putin upset with RT.com coverage? I think we both know the answer to that but only one of us seems to take that into account.

I don't think it's that black and white. If you were to just read a single "normal" website such as the Daily Beast or Slate.com you'd find opposing articles posted at the same time on the same site and the comments section full of people on either side of the debate - [...]
Sites like Fox News, Alex Jones, RT.com, etc are a lot more slanted and tend to preach to the choir. These seem to be the sites you tend to get your sources from but really [...]

I get more from Slate, Daily Beast, Washington Post, BBC, Al-Jezeera, CBS, MSNBC, CBC, The Guardian, and the Financial Times than I do from Fox and Alex. RT I'll admit to. RT is great - you know their view point. On the other hand, you really should know the view point from which the others post too. In that respect, Fox and Alex can also be informative but the signal to noise ratio is a bit marginal.

You know, I came to the conclusions I came to in 2003 simply by reading mainstream news sources.
That is exactly what I was beginning to suspect. It wasn't that you had any moral theory that you were working from or that you had a grasp of the workings of empire (same for thousands of years now) but that you live in Canada and the Canadian media carried very different coverage from the US coverage. Tigger thought what Tigger thought because he formed his world view from the (specially selected) information in his media. The information given lead him to the conclusions he, quite logically, drew. The PR industry doesn't tell you what to think, they shape the facts so you reach the right conclusion.

Over the last decade, and especially with Harper at the helm, our entire media has fallen much more in line with the US agenda. When I used to compare Canadian news to US news back in the lead up to Gulf War II, watching US news was like going to crazy land. Now both sides of the border are much more similar. Even the CBC has been shifted Harperwards with the PMs appointment of Lacroix as CEO of CBC. Remember, the position of many of the US commentators regarding the invasion of Iraq was completely logical because they knew that Saddam was behind 9/11, that Saddam had kicked the UN inspectors out and that he had weapons of mass destruction and was, for sure, working on a nuclear bomb with which to attack the US and would have it in months or maybe even already had it. Of course they needed to attack. It was a matter of national security. We lived outside of that bubble. We knew it was crap. The bubble is bigger now. Now you are in it.

RT is great - you know their view point.
Knowing their view point is kinda interesting in that you know what they want you to think. Sure. But passing it off to others as truth and claiming they're as reliable as any other news source is highly questionable to put it nicely. Btw, we also knew this guy's point of view as well:

07-minister.jpg

That is exactly what I was beginning to suspect. It wasn't that you had any moral theory that you were working from or that you had a grasp of the workings of empire (same for thousands of years now) but that you live in Canada and the Canadian media carried very different coverage from the US coverage.
Ya, I live in Canada but also have ties to Greece. Greeks tend to have a good memory of what it was like living under Ottoman oppression. My grandparents fought the Turks, the Nazis and the Communists and my parents fled the junta. My dad grew up in refugee camps in extreme poverty. If you really think I know nothing at all about empires or moral theory then that's just your elitism shining through.

Tigger thought what Tigger thought because he formed his world view from the (specially selected) information in his media. The information given lead him to the conclusions he, quite logically, drew. The PR industry doesn't tell you what to think, they shape the facts so you reach the right conclusion.
But it's much more than that. Many Americans wanted blood after 9/11, and that's a fairly normal human thing actually. Afghanistan just wasn't bloody enough. Taking out Saddam even if it was all on a false pretext was one way for them to strike back. It's really no different than the moral justification used by Islamic terrorists who attack innocent civilians - they know they had nothing to do with any of their problems but they don't care to draw that distinction. Really, after 9/11 it was a bad time to be a Muslim and it still is. It's why they're protesting the mosque being built at ground zero, because Muslims brought down the towers not just 19 members of al-Qaeda. Did the media play a role in this, yes, but only to the extent of confirmation biases applies. People seek out the opinions they want and there's always someone out there willing to peddle it. But that doesn't mean that every media source is equally slanted. In the lead up to 9/11, yes, the Canadian media was nothing like the US media, but also at the time most of the "new media" were providing perspectives not at all in line with the GWB administration. If you remember, there was also this guy names Hans Blix and he received coverage in the US as well from sites like Slate. And there was also guys like Chris Htichens who argued for the invasion on humanitarian grounds. The thing about the mainstream US media is that they read the writing on the wall and stopped wondering if there will be an invasion and started talking about how the invasion will go down. At that point it was just about getting in on another great ratings generating war (in-bed journalism). But like I said before, it really didn't matter if Saddam was a threat or not, blood needed to be spilled and his was the only viable option. And to this day most Americans who consider the Iraq war a disaster think of the almost 5,000 Western combat deaths, not the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who died. I think that shows there's a lot more to it than just a few false pretexts here - Americans just don't care.

Over the last decade, and especially with Harper at the helm, our entire media has fallen much more in line with the US agenda. When I used to compare Canadian news to US news back in the lead up to Gulf War II, watching US news was like going to crazy land.
Yes, but that would naturally be a time of great contrast. And in fact I could argue that back then the CBC was influenced to push the official government line of Jean Chretien. The fact that Canadian news media contrasted US media isn't necessarily because Canadian media was uninfluenced. But I hear what you're saying and my opinion of the CBC is actually quite high. Neil Macdonald, Don Murray and the fearless Adrienne Arsenault are legendary and still reporting in the field today (and yes I miss Joe Schlesinger). Those three I trust and I'd have a hard time believing they'd switch over to Harper's dark side.

We lived outside of that bubble. We knew it was crap. The bubble is bigger now. Now you are in it.
Yes, I know that's how you see me. That I've changed. I don't think people change so much, even you. My perception of you however has changed. I thought you stood for the moral good but I see now that you're more agenda driven. You'll tolerate mass death so long as the Zionist Imperialist Capitalists are hurt in one way or another. That's why you expressed initial joy at the world trade center attacks. Sure you may have felt bad afterwords, but the fact that your mind thought first of the downfall of a symbol of capitalism and then of the human suffering speaks volumes about how you think. That's when I realized you and I are different and the fact that we ever agreed on something was just a fluke.

Back