Latest Xbox 3 rumors

Yes, Sony did some crummy things. I was pretty upset when they removed Linux support (never had a ps2 so that didn't bother me as much, but I did have a "fat" ps3 that originally played ps2 games) and that changed how I thought of the PS3 and of Sony.
I have a fat PS3. It has a bum fan that sounds like a jet taking off if I use it for Blu-Rays. I wanted to replace it but I no longer have a PS2 for the PS2 games. The fan doesn't do that during games. Sony wouldn't repair for free and since nonP2 exists on newer console I never replaced. And it was more than amusing to see them remove Linux, which I was really excited for. They said because of potential hacks. Then a week later they were hacked, even without Linux.

Maybe it's a Canada thing? Doesn't the POTUS still use a BlackBerry?
Yes. And I think it should be against the law to route POTUS communications through a foreign nation. Even if I might like Winnipeg better than Mississippi. As for BlackBerry upgrades - I find most people just don't care. They announced a new phone and no one cared.

Anyway, as for the PS4 launch, I still think Sony played it right and it's the gaming press and community that has gone completely bonkers over the "no box" issue. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
A case is a case it's not a big deal. However, it may indicate they haven't hit production. Which means Holiday 2013 will likely be not worldwide but limited. I'm guessing North America only. The reason I think this is Sony designed the PS4 with a North American team and the USA is their major loss with the PS3. I think, Sony will think they already have Europe and Japan in the bag and therefore can wait those areas.

Personally, I'll go against Kyle here... I'm not willing to trust Sony that there's a system behind the curtain making it all work. I honestly don't think Sony showed that the PS4 is a real console, yet. All they actually showed was some recycled development code supposedly running on a slightly hacked PC hidden somewhere. And that's if there was actually code running, at all. Which, honestly, is probably unlikely, as it's just a marketing exercise, and they didn't let anyone play. The only thing the announcement actually did was confirm that they are planning on building a PS4 someday, with specs similar to the next XBox Microsoft hasn't announced, yet.
I think you're right that they used a slightly hacked PC. However, looking at the PS4 designs it seems to me it's a slightly hacked PC. And that seems to be the exciting thing for developers as they should be able to port to the PS4 by doing less work than they have to for the PS3. That may allow less expensive games and higher profits for software developers. So of course the development companies should be excited.

And yes marketing exercise is something Sony is good at. Sony tends to show the pre-rendered video trailers of games instead of actual gameplay. In their 2 hour presentation most of it was pre-rendered. I love the Final Fantasy games but Square showing a slightly redone 8 month old trailer was one of the low points for me. I'll gladly eat my words but I think most of the stuff they showed will come over the course of a couple of years and won't be available at launch.

What I see could be a win on day 1 for Microsoft is to have a solid defined backwards compatibility baked into the console. Personally, I don't want a PS3, PS4, Xbox360, and Xbox3 all on my TV stand. I'd prefer one of each. If Microsoft makes the Xbox3 run Xbox2 games on launch hardware, aka not in the cloud, I'll likely get an Xbox3 on launch. Then I'll wait to see what the PS4 develops into.

'Share Button' -- I don't get it. Is this any different than clicking the option button and uploading my saved Halo4 game? Do I need a button named share so it's just 1 function? Why not have a more flexible design where a future menu could hold more stuff. I suppose one can make 'Share' hold more stuff but isn't that a bit like clicking Start to Shutdown? The Share Button is not exciting.

All mobile platforms depend more and more on the cloud making us all vulnerable to those kinds of problems. BB in fact pioneered that and would of course be the ones to be first to deal with such issues. But messaging via SMS is likely to decline with time and more people will be using technologies like Skype, Google Talk, iMessage, etc. All of those have a central point of failure and I think it's kinda silly to classify BlackBerry's prior server outages as some kind fundamental flaw unique to BlackBerry.
Skype is not only a client-server but can establish peer-to-peer connections by passing a central controlling server. Skype is short for 'Sky peer-to peer'. The one thing I like about Skype is that it is the most multi-client - Linux, Win, iOS, Blackberry, WinPhone, Xbox, SmartTV, Symbian, MeeGo, PSP3K, and various other Wi-Fi equipment. Though it also tends to be largest and most resource consuming.

Doesn't Skype just use SIP? And how many people use it's p2p feature?

Replacement fans are easy to find on ebay. Just count the number of fan blades on yours before you place an order as that's how you differentiate (easily) between the fat and slim fans.

My fat PS3 fried itself. I had it "professionally" reflowed. It sprang back to life but now the fan is super loud. Not sure if it's a bad fan or, my belief, that the heatsink/fan was not properly mounted after the reflow. It's been sitting in my computer room on my todo list to take it apart and put it back together again. However, I made the mistake of just buying a slim PS3 and I haven't had the motivation to do much about it since. Bit of a waste....

Maybe it's a Canada thing? Doesn't the POTUS still use a BlackBerry? Ya most BB users want an upgrade, but that's mostly because BB hasn't released anything new in years. That's about to change. It is make or break for BB, if it doesn't sell really well they are likely to be bought up by a major player.

Yeah... Maybe they're still more popular in Canada. And I do think you're right that Obama still uses an actual Blackberry. But one thing that is definitely American is the habit (especially found in upper managers) of calling non-Blackberry corporate mail enabled phones "Blackberry". Much like we still run Xerox copies, even though it's a Konica-Minolta copier. If I had a dollar for every manager who's sworn they can't live without their Blackberry, and then promptly pulled out an iPhone to get my contact information... :/

Doesn't Skype just use SIP? And how many people use it's p2p feature?
Skype probably works along with SIP. But, Skype is it's own private protocol. And everyone uses it's P2P features. The easy example is the Directory is decentralized. It's built from other peers not from a central server.

Thanks for the PS3 advice. As the loud fan is Blu-Ray only based and not game based I don't care all that much. I have other Blu-Ray players available.

That's just another way of saying that the PS4 uses a specially modded Jaguar APU.
Yup. Microsoft hasn't announced yet either but it's likely they use a specially modded Jag APU too. Not unlike the Cell and Xenon were special mods of PowerPC architecture. Rumors on the special moding on the Jag for the Xbox3 is very Cell SPE-eque.

But one thing that is definitely American is the habit (especially found in upper managers) of calling non-Blackberry corporate mail enabled phones "Blackberry".
The grey hairs still call copying Xeroxing and think not only Faxing but digital watches are neat idea. They also ask for a Kleenex(R) instead of a tissue.

I must be entering the grey hairs. My wife hates it when I call it paging instead of texting. Yeah I know it's no longer SNPS (Simple Network Paging Services) but SMS (Simple Messaging Services).

Yet another console using an AMD APU. Looks like the consoles might save AMD!

As for there not being a ps3, that's a bold statement to make. They did demo a ps3 with dual hdmi and other fancy features. It was said that top dogs at Sony freaked out when they saw the cost of production vs the sale price and ordered a drastic cost reduction. Not sure what info you have that counters that but I have to say so far you're not very convincing.

I have a hard time buying the story that Sony had that console designed to the point that they were nearing ready to put it into production before anyone thought to check if management would sign off on the BOM? Or, in hindsight, does it look like it was a mock-up for marketing that was a lot rougher than we were lead to believe? Which seems more convincing?

Speaking of Kickstarter consoles. Anyone see the AROS based Indie Go Go?

I had heard a bit of it before, but never actually realized it was AROS based. Well, actually, AEROS based, I guess. So it's the linux kernel running, hosting the AROS kernel. Which makes for an interestingly confusing design platform. I should grab the newer AEROS ISO and give it a boot someday. I haven't checked in with AROS in a while. IndieGO has raised 40euros so far, though, so they've got a ways to go. :/

I have a hard time buying the story that Sony had that console designed to the point that they were nearing ready to put it into production before anyone thought to check if management would sign off on the BOM? Or, in hindsight, does it look like it was a mock-up for marketing that was a lot rougher than we were lead to believe? Which seems more convincing?
I see little benefit in marketing a product you don't have or can't sell. It certainly didn't help them. It's not like they were taking pre-orders and the game developers would know early on one way or the other.

The CELL chip that came with the PS3 had a disabled core. That's the sort of thing you see when one wants to minimize costs. Basically Sony ended up buying broken 8 core CPUs and selling them as 7 core CPUs in their PS3s. That's clearly a cost savings measure. From what I heard the cost of both bluray and the CELL processor didn't go down as quickly as they expected. I presume they thought the war between bluray and HD-DVD would be quicker (or perhaps, at the time of the PS3's initial design, weren't even aware of HD-DVD). The fact is they probably should have cut more costs as the initial $500 cost only gave the 360 more time to expand it's market lead. But perhaps Sony was too worried about cannibalizing the PS2 market so felt the need for high profile features to push the new model.

Nintendo's Feb, no good for the WiiU.

"In a research note to investors today, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said that he believes Nintendo sold just 80,000 WiiU units in February -- the same number of original Wii units that sold. What's worse, the Wii U's sales were about half of the 165,000 Playstation 3 units sold last month and far behind the Xbox 360's 225,000 unit sales, according to Pachter"

Looks like the PS4 announcement didn't help Nintendo, though it seemed to not have hurt them either. Though it would be hard to these hurt sales, the worst in 8 years for Nintendo. We'll see what excitement CES will bring.

The WiiU might do better once there's a few games made specifically for it.

Galactic Reign was published this week from Microsoft. It's their first fully cross platform continual 'universal' game. You can play on the Xbox, Win8 or Phone7/8. Why exciting? An example is probably best - play the game on the Xbox, turn off the Xbox then play on the Win8 Desktop and be at exactly the same place in the game. Or if you need to leave grab your phone and be at exactly the same place. (I do, as do many laws, recommend against driving and gaming.) Also, the game is fully cross connectable so Windows Phone 8 users can play against Xbox or PC users. You don't need to know what platform they're on. Just that they are playing the same game. That's all very cool for gaming.

As cool as Halo Waypoint and Call of Duty stat tracking with other devices is, this is a bit more exciting.

Are those separate licenses?
No and Yes...
NO: One can pay once on one platform. They can then use either of the other two platforms, picking up from where the game was left off, without any additional fees. Buying one time enables you to earn the achievements of the platform you bought the game for.

YES: Each platform has it's unique set of achievements. If you want to earn the Xbox Achievements and the Windows Phone Achievements and the Windows Desktop Achievements you do need to pay the fee for each platform.

Personally, it's not a whole lot of reason to buy the game again. But, we're early in the gaming generation that's universal across portable, desktop, and console platforms. There's lots of room to mature this model.

NVidia says they didn't want to be in the PS4 NVIDIA's senior VP of content and tech Tony Tamasi says NVIDIA weighed its options against other potential products the company would be working on -- rather than producing discreet tech for a single console manufacturer, thus being unable to use said tech elsewhere -- and decided against it. "We had to look at console business as an opportunity cost. If we say, did a console, what other piece of our business would we put on hold to chase after that?" he tells the game site.

16 Million PS4 to be sold this year ... Though is rumored from manufacturers not from Sony. It also includes the rumor that Pegatron and Foxconn that make the iPhone5 and iPad Mini will be making the 3rd gen Microsoft Xbox.

AMD reveals new product 3 new Jaguar Cores Of course Sony already announced the Jaguar Core is at the heart of their console. And AMD said they'd be making these chips available to others.

Back