Latest Xbox 3 rumors

Did you ever see Microsoft's Image Steering?

It's also too bad 3D TVs didn't have a uniform standard. Different manufacture's glasses are incompatible with other manufacture's. Had the same standard been used it'd guarantee I can bring my glasses over to my friend's house. And yes they do make 3D Plasma. Panasonic VT25 series. Though this series doesn't change 2D to 3D it only does 3D for 3D source material. I consider that a bit of a negative. 2D to 3D isn't as good but it is a nice option to have. The plus of Plasma is it doesn't have the motion blur effects of LCD/LED.

KZHNnMl.gif

Cheap standardized glasses from the beginning might have saved 3DTV. Now it's an uphill battle.
Well, there ARE universal glasses but because they have to pack every known technology into them cheap is a bit much to ask for. Mind you, there seem to be people who would spend a hundred bucks for ear buds - so why should glasses be cheaper? *Shrug*

And they ALL SUCK!!! WASD and mouse 4 ever!!!
My buddy is one of those guys who plays Battlefield 3 on the PS3 religiously. He's spent hundreds of hours playing and he's one of the most efficient killing machines I've seen (always ranks in the top 2 on any level - I love being in his squad). I'm pretty good too, but I can't match his marksmanship. But the real reason isn't because he had much more time on the game than I did, it's because he cheats. This is what he uses:

splitfish-fragfx-20070625042852350-000.jpg

The mouse for aiming and the analog stick for movement. That is actually better than a keyboard+mouse combo and gives you a massive advantage when going up against guys with a dualshock3. Still, I quite relished the time I lured his tank next to a big rock I was hiding behind and then jumped out and slammed an RPG7 in the backside of his M1A1. That was a nice revenge kill.

The splitfish controller above is great for cheating, but some PS3 games actually use this as a controller:

sharpshooter.jpg

The gun is basically a holder for the two PS3 Move controllers, but it works beautifully. You aim by aiming. And yes, it works nice. I played the entire Resistance 2 with this and I really loved it (actually the game is so-so but the controls worked great). The only downside is that only Sony made games really support this, games like BF3 made by EA/DICE don't. This thing made sniping actually fun (I typically hate playing sniper with a dualshock).

Speaking of 3D... The next Gen should come with a 3D interface. The higher resolution Kinect or EyeToy should be able to sufficently detect enough movement to enable those 'Minority Report' type of displays. Now, not everyone will want this so they'll still need something 2D. 3D Interfaces haven't really surfaced on anything yet. It could be a nice hook for the enthusiast market. Plus, we know Microsoft has used the Xbox 360 as a testing grounds for their ideas so... 3D Minority Report GUI time.

Codes are a PitA. Microsoft, mostly, has cards with Memberships and Live points which one must enter this 25 digit code. I always get something wrong the first time and just try to reenter it all. Purchasing on line with credit cards is possible. But, then one misses out on other sales at Stores. For example, I got 2 years of Xbox Live for $10 each when Target closed out their Membership cards between generations. If there's an EyeToy or Kinect with each console they should have cards with codes on them. Show the 'eye' the card and the stuff is entered. Microsoft used this a bit for Kinectimals - one could buy a stuffed animal with a code that'd put your animal into the game. It's a surprise they didn't expand upon that idea so all items worked with a simple scan of the code.

The PS4 will be announced in a few hours, but here's a leaked image on the PS4 controller.

ps4_controller_photo.jpg

It's hard to see, but just north of the analogue sticks is a touchpad. Curious to see what it's for.

Supposedly the front face has a white bar that works as the replacement for the blue balls controller. You can see a bit of the white front on the top of the controller pictured above. The Dual Shock is a good workable controller. Hopefully, we'll not see Sony trying to claim rumble is 'last gen'.

The PS3 had various features that were cut from the console - dual HDMI output for two TV support for 2 player games, 4 Ethernet Jacks to be a Ethernet hub, Card readers, backwards compatibility, SACD, Linux... I hope Sony is able to ship what they announce and keep it for the PS4 generation. ... One thing I saw was that the #4 has bad mojo associated with the Japanese culture (I suppose like 13) so they might go with a different name.

Didn't work for me? On Forbes Stream.

Listed of hardware so far
-Super Charged PC Architecture
-x86 APU
- On chip GPU w/ 2 Teraflops of power
- 8GB Memory
- HDD built in.
-- No mention of Blu-Ray? Perhaps it's coming.

Controller was very similar to the above image.

Seems to be built around social sharing, one can let their friends play their character remotely. Lots of talk of using the PS Vita for remote play.

As for Backwards Compatibility -- "someday, we could put PSOne, 2, 3 games onto PS4" so it appears won't be there day 1.

Square Enix - Luminous Demo showed. I thought I'd seen this before - June 2012 Luminous

Other streams may or may not have been gameplay. Having seen the Sony videos they always seem to show the pre-rendered trailer over gameplay. For example, Killzone was shown and looked awesome. Though in the PS3 past it looked great too, but it was pre-rendered trailers and not the actual gameplay. I'm sure the interwebs will argue for months about what was real time and what was not.

One thing not shown was the actual console. They must be saving that for E3?

Really bad compression on this, but it's the Havoc demo that impressed me the most.

One thing not shown was the actual console. They must be saving that for E3?

Call me cynical, but I'd say they're saving that for when they have one...

There's a lot of talk about experiences, and a lot of pretty pictures, but very little to make me think this thing is anywhere near ready. I'd guess they just wanted to announce something before Microsoft. Though, with the trail-off this will cause in PS3 sales... It looks to me like that is a race to announce something is a lot like a race to see who will shoot themselves in the foot first. I'm not sure it's a race I'd want to win.

I guess we'll see if Sony proves me wrong in a few months, though.

I'd have to believe if they are shipping for 2013 Holidays they have the console in production? Or at least close enough they could have showed the exterior shell.

In the past what we do see is once a console is announced sales slow down. This happened with the Wii in the nearly 2 year wait for the WiiU. This is far closer, under a year. Though I think not only PS3 but Xbox360 sales will slow. Clearly the next gen is upon us.

The specs of the PS4 sound fairly comparable to a current $600 PC. And this system will make gaming ports easier. $450-$500 and Sony probably will do well. We haven't seen what Microsoft will offer. The rumors are the PS4 is more powerful but so was the PS3 and that came in 3rd. It'll be an interesting Christmas.

@Ilwrath, you're cynical. :D

I have no doubts they're on track. They've been working on the PS4 since the PS3 was released. My former workmate's brother used to work for the PS4 design team and that was going back at least 4 years now. He was the one who was in charge of selecting the next gen CPU. I had no insider info unfortunately, but did benefit from borrowing games from my workmate who got his games from his brother, free of charge of course (one of the perks of being on the Playstation team was free games).

Anyway, I don't think we're gonna see much in terms of lost sales for the current consoles. Anyone considering a console today is likely not a bleeding edge gamer. Bleeding edge gamers already have 3 or 4 consoles in their house and will likely buy all the next gen consoles when they're released. Right now those who buy a console are those who didn't want to spend the big bucks when they were first released. And that's likely what I'm gonna do when the PS4 comes out - wait a couple of years before I consider a purchase. Still, I'm more excited about the OUYA than the PS4.

I'd have to believe if they are shipping for 2013 Holidays they have the console in production? Or at least close enough they could have showed the exterior shell.

Yeah, exactly. Maybe not in production, yet... But I'd think they'd have to be close enough that there'd be a lot more leaks than a very shoddy looking pre-production dual-shock. And if you're announcing a product... Aren't you going to want to take a page from the late master, and simply walk out on stage holding it? Why all the smoke and mirrors if you really ARE that close?

In the past what we do see is once a console is announced sales slow down. This happened with the Wii in the nearly 2 year wait for the WiiU. This is far closer, under a year. Though I think not only PS3 but Xbox360 sales will slow. Clearly the next gen is upon us.

Oh, definitely. Sony's announcement is the opening shot in the upcoming war. But I really do have to question the schedule Sony is laying out. It just looks to me like they're being WAY too optimistic saying Holidays 2013. I gotta think it's a bluff... But the question is... Why? The announce then delay tactic didn't work terribly well for the PS3. Why run a repeat? Other than perhaps it's Sony's way of slowing down XBox360 sales, and trying to force Microsoft to show their hand...? Still, that seems like a half-baked scheme, at best.

Yeah, exactly. Maybe not in production, yet... But I'd think they'd have to be close enough that there'd be a lot more leaks than a very shoddy looking pre-production dual-shock. And if you're announcing a product... Aren't you going to want to take a page from the late master, and simply walk out on stage holding it? Why all the smoke and mirrors if you really ARE that close?
Let's not forget that Steve Jobs looked to Sony for inspiration. Sony obviously wants to generate some hype, but they also need to not only maintain it but build it up until the final release. Why show all your cards now? Best way to generate hype is to leave questions unanswered and let the rumor mills do your dirty work for you.

And they ALL SUCK!!! WASD and mouse 4 ever!!!
Yea I hear ya. But that isn't going to work in the living room. I try to find a wasd (well, as I have learned to operate the mouse left-handed, cursor keys)/mouse alternative that has the same precision AND is easy operatable in the living room.
So far, I found this:
The AlphaGrip:
alphagrip2.jpg

The iGUGU Gamecore
iGUGU-Gamecore-Controller.jpg

I'd love to play Starcraft 2 and Napoleon: Total War from the couch :D

Supposedly Sony was asked about this and they gave the 'save it for later' (aka E3) guess I postulated. IMO that's backwards. E3 is about gaming. So show the gaming off-E3 and show the chassis at E3? Huh? Seems backwards me. People do care more about the games. So shouldn't the games be the secret reveal?

Oh, definitely. Sony's announcement is the opening shot in the upcoming war. But I really do have to question the schedule Sony is laying out. It just looks to me like they're being WAY too optimistic saying Holidays 2013. I gotta think it's a bluff... But the question is... Why? The announce then delay tactic didn't work terribly well for the PS3. Why run a repeat? Other than perhaps it's Sony's way of slowing down XBox360 sales, and trying to force Microsoft to show their hand...? Still, that seems like a half-baked scheme, at best.
Seems Sony is repeating their PS3 launch mistakes? All these features is Sony really ready on Day-1? Or will this be another 'it'll come' like the PS3 was? The PS3 felt like Beta the first 18 months then it got solid. I hope they don't do that with the PS4. And yeah if Sony thinks they can position to force Microsoft is just poorly understood marketing. What I suspect is Sony will ship the PS4 in the USA for Xmas 2013. But, Europe and Japan will wait until after Xmas.

Back