Has Q chucked it?

Qanon on reddit that your OP is about.
The OP isn't about Reddit. Most Q stuff was kicked off of Reddit months ago, and I never frequented it anyway. The OP post was allegedly from 8kun, which I don't frequent either.
Despite knowing about Qanon for a couple of years, I only started to pay more attention to it a few months ago. The reason for that was it started to affect people I know. First it was a friend of a friend, then and old school pal, then a girl I was at sound engineering college with, and so on, and this manifests itself mostly via Facebook. They're down the rabbit hole to varying degrees but I'd say somewhere between 15 and 20 of my contacts on FB regularly post Q inspired nonsense.
For example, only one of them openly believes hundreds of the "deep state" have been executed and replaced by clones, a couple of the others claim 5G towers are spreading Covid19 on behalf of Bill Gates, whilst another is only really going as far as saying Trump's instructions to wear a mask are actually code to do the opposite.
However, one thing all of the new converts on my radar have in common is that they all fall into the "new age hippie" sphere to some degree or other, which is fascinating in and of itself. I've known every one of them for at least a decade - some for almost all of my life - yet most of them began posting this nonsense within the last few months.

However, one thing all of the new converts on my radar have in common is that they all fall into the "new age hippie" sphere to some degree or other, which is fascinating in and of itself.
Well, a large percentage of anti-vaxxers are "new age hippies." To me, it seems almost logical that many of the same people would also believe conspiracy theories suggesting that 5G cell towers spread corona virus or that Bill Gates plans to deploy mind control technologies by vaccinating billions of people. These theories do overlap in many ways.

Well, a large percentage of anti-vaxxers are "new age hippies." To me, it seems almost logical that many of the same people would also believe conspiracy theories suggesting that 5G cell towers spread corona virus or that Bill Gates plans to deploy mind control technologies by vaccinating billions of people. These theories do overlap in many ways.
Indeed, although most of these people I know were not anti-vaxers, at least not publicly (they all are now), and the jump from there to some of the more outlandish theories isn't so clear either. I'm also interested in what happened to suddenly convert them or bring it out of the woodwork now. It might be as simple as "lockdown fever" but I suspect there's a little more to it.

I wonder how much of it is astroturfing though. The whole "flat earth movement" started on a single tongue & cheek website in the mid-late 90s. I'd be willing to bet most who promote the idea are still "taking the piss", but are happy to have truly stupid people believe it. There are genuine health concerns regarding 5G, from even the most mainstream of mainstream science. But if you create a culture of mocking any even bringing up the idea of health problems, you shut down all discourse over it. Growing up we all saw this when UFOs or extraterrestrial life was brought up. Only in the last few years we know the disinformation and mockery was policy, and that the US military was constantly studying the UFO phenomenon.

Indeed, although most of these people I know were not anti-vaxers, at least not publicly (they all are now), and the jump from there to some of the more outlandish theories isn't so clear either. I'm also interested in what happened to suddenly convert them or bring it out of the woodwork now. It might be as simple as "lockdown fever" but I suspect there's a little more to it.
What were their views on Brexit? After decades of being used as a scapegoat for anything going wrong in the UK, the EU is not very convincing fall guy anymore in 2020 so some Brexit supporters had to find new issues at which to direct their deep-seated anger.

What were their views on Brexit?
I'd have to check back but, from memory, none of them were particularly noisy about it in either direction.

I'd have to check back but, from memory, none of them were particularly noisy about it in either direction.
Social media has seen a sharp increase in use during the pandemic. Many people simply have more time on their hands to post - and read - stupid stuff on the internet these days.

Social media has seen a sharp increase in use during the pandemic. Many people simply have more time on their hands to post - and read - stupid stuff on the internet these days.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant by "lockdown fever". It's just that I don't think it's the only factor.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by "lockdown fever". It's just that I don't think it's the only factor.
Ah, I thought you were referring to the overall decline in mental health during the pandemic (due financial and other stressors), which is certainly also a factor.

DvWQGdnX4AEKsXv
EeMXlM-X0AA70FN

And the question on everyone's lips is: does it have a basement?
:lol:

Apparently, mere increased use of social media makes you less informed:

Those who rely on social media for news are less likely to get the facts right about the coronavirus and politics and more likely to hear some unproven claims

Even as Americans who primarily turn to social media for political news are less aware and knowledgeable about a wide range of events and issues in the news, they are more likely than other Americans to have heard about a number of false or unproven claims.

One specific example is exposure to the conspiracy theory that powerful people intentionally planned the COVID-19 pandemic, which gained attention with the spread of a conspiracy video on social media. About a quarter of U.S. adults who get most of their news through social media (26%) say they have heard “a lot” about this conspiracy theory, and about eight-in-ten (81%) have heard at least “a little” – a higher share than among those who turn to any of the other six platforms for their political news.

I think there's more to it than being informed. Most of the Q converts I know are aware of the main alternatives to their narratives but refuse to accept them. Conversely, I'm aware of most the claims the Qanon crowd peddle, and even find much of it fascinating, but that doesn't mean I believe any of it.

That "Plandemic" video is a hoot. As is the other Q favourite series "Fall of Cabal" (if you want to see just how crazy the crazy can get, watch the last episode first. It's about 18 minutes of utter bampottery). I've seen them both and still find it incredible that ordinarily sensible people could watch them, be taken in by them and then have audacity to plaster "do you own research" all over social media, when even the most rudimentary research clearly demonstrates these videos to be steaming piles of shitey lies.

Apparently, mere increased use of social media makes you less informed:

As opposed to those who are informed by the mainstream Liberal Media? ;)

116352009_136632941448800_4202222165510569646_n.jpg

LUNATIC OPENS FIRE ON A MOTHER AND SON BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T SOCIALLY DISTANCING

"The guy came and started shooting," a witness said. "The son and the mom were, like, crying, and they were scared."

According to a police report, the man was enraged that a mother and child were not social distancing. Detectives said the mother and son angered the man enough for him to allegedly fire gunshots into the lobby's floor.

Police allege the shooter "continued to scream commands to social distance while holding the firearm and subsequently fired several shots."

As opposed to those who are informed by any news outlets that follow basic journalistic principles as well as laws.

And this is the problem right here. No sources. No information about the sample size, etc. Absolutely no context that would allow a critical thinker to evaluate whether the results of this poll should be taken seriously or not.

Of course, simple-minded people still gobble it up and enjoy the poisonous fruits of confirmation bias. This is exactly why social media is a bad news source.

Since you are such a huge believer in astroturfing and disinformation campaigns, I am sure you will agree that this must clearly have been a false flag operation to discredit social distancing and mask wearing.

Of course, simple-minded people still gobble it up and enjoy the poisonous fruits of confirmation bias. This is exactly why social media is a bad news source.

Rather simple minded people don't understand the significance of a ;) at the end of a sentence.

116352009_136632941448800_4202222165510569646_n.jpg

To be fair, just asking those same people the population of the US would get you some pretty entertaining answers, I'm sure.

To be fair, just asking those same people the population of the US would get you some pretty entertaining answers, I'm sure.

My reply was half in jest.That "poll" has zero citations. I'm sure there is some truth to it, like a Babylon Bee article.

As I mentioned I don't follow Qanon so have no opinion one way or another. That said, I occasionally see something on the fringes and it raises an eyebrow. Not a lot of details out on this yet and i don't know her, but the initial smell is pretty bad.

VIDEO: Millie Weaver and Husband Arrested, Reportedly Indicted by Grand Jury

A reporter for Info Wars, Millie Weaver, who was expected to post a shocking video today, was arrested at her home with her husband, in front of her crying children.

The arresting officer appeared to tell Weaver that she was being arrested for being indicted by a “Grand Jury for burglary”. This is unconfirmed at this time.

Apparently she was wrapping up a documentary about deep state corruption, with both parties responsible.

We'll see what comes of this, as long as her and her husband don't get suicided.

Back