Georgia, the Olympics, the US armada and Iran

Today's developments:

Putin blames US for Georgia role

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the US of provoking the conflict in Georgia, possibly for domestic election purposes.

Mr Putin told CNN US citizens were "in the area" during the conflict over South Ossetia and were "taking direct orders from their leaders".

He said his defence officials had told him the provocation was to benefit one of the US presidential candidates.

Quite laughable. It seems Putin has been reading Whyzzat.com! :-D I guess he thought the internet conspiracy theorists needed some help here. However, the article gets really interesting at the very bottom:

Earlier on Thursday Russia failed to get strong backing from its Asian allies over the Georgia conflict.

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), comprising Russia, China and Central Asian nations, met in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and spoke of its deep concern.

The group did not follow Russia in recognising the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

It seems Russia's closest allies didn't really dig what Russia did in S. Ossetia either. However, it doesn't look like Russia cares a whole lot and seems to be going out of it's way to up the ante:

Amid the rising tension, Russia announced on Thursday it had successfully tested its long-range Topol ballistic missile from a launch site in Kamchatka in the far east of the country.

Russia says the rocket is capable of penetrating the proposed US missile defence.

Russians are good chess players, and the rook just traded places with the king. Welcome to the new Cold War.

- Mike

Today's developments:

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the US of provoking the conflict in Georgia, possibly for domestic election purposes.

Mr Putin told CNN US citizens were "in the area" during the conflict over South Ossetia and were "taking direct orders from their leaders".

He said his defence officials had told him the provocation was to benefit one of the US presidential candidates.

Quite laughable. It seems Putin has been reading Whyzzat.com! :-D I guess he thought the internet conspiracy theorists needed some help here. However, the article gets really interesting at the very bottom:

Earlier on Thursday Russia failed to get strong backing from its Asian allies over the Georgia conflict.

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), comprising Russia, China and Central Asian nations, met in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and spoke of its deep concern.

The group did not follow Russia in recognising the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

It seems Russia's closest allies didn't really dig what Russia did in S. Ossetia either. However, it doesn't look like Russia cares a whole lot and seems to be going out of it's way to up the ante:

Amid the rising tension, Russia announced on Thursday it had successfully tested its long-range Topol ballistic missile from a launch site in Kamchatka in the far east of the country.

Russia says the rocket is capable of penetrating the proposed US missile defence.

Russians are good chess players, and the rook just traded places with the king. Welcome to the new Cold War.

- Mike

Today's developments:

- Mike

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

To be fair Glaucus, some nations do support Russia. Such bastions of freedom like Syria and Europe's last dictatorship, Belarus (I recall Iran has muttered support too, but I can't find a link). And even then, only after some pressure was applied to Belarus.

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

To be fair Glaucus, some nations do support Russia. Such bastions of freedom like Syria and Europe's last dictatorship, Belarus (I recall Iran has muttered support too, but I can't find a link). And even then, only after some pressure was applied to Belarus.

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

Glaucus said:
Today's developments:

the article states that only 36% would oppose NATO in a referendum,

More than three times as many who said they'd go the other way, which backs up my point that, on the most recent polling evidence I can find, the majority of the population don't share the leadership's desire to join NATO. If you wanted to be really pedantic you could argue 89% of them don't. (I never said a majority appeared to be against joining, just not in favour.)

I just speculated that in this case they are in tune with the majority - and I still stand by that speculation until I see evidence to counter that.

hmmm.... Is this speculation based upon anything other than your feelings? I only ask because you have produced no evidence (inconclusive polling or otherwise) to support it. I'd put it to you that there is nothing to even imply your speculation is correct. If there is, please post some of it as I'm happy to be corrected here. I only posted my comment based on polling I could find.

More than three times as many who said they'd go the other way, which backs up my point that, on the most recent polling evidence I can find, the majority of the population don't share the leadership's desire to join NATO. If you wanted to be really pedantic you could argue 89% of them don't. (I never said a majority appeared to be against joining, just not in favour.)

I just speculated that in this case they are in tune with the majority - and I still stand by that speculation until I see evidence to counter that.

hmmm.... Is this speculation based upon anything other than your feelings? I only ask because you have produced no evidence (inconclusive polling or otherwise) to support it. I'd put it to you that there is nothing to even imply your speculation is correct. If there is, please post some of it as I'm happy to be corrected here. I only posted my comment based on polling I could find.

Georgia admits to dropping cluster bombs on Ossetia.
OSCE report points finger at Georgia for S. Ossetia crisis
and US military trained Georgian commandos.
The US military provided combat training to 80 Georgian special forces commandos only months prior to Georgia’s army assault in South Ossetia in August.

The revelation, based on recruitment documents and interviews with US military trainers obtained by the Financial Times, could add fuel to accusations by Vlad imir Putin, Russian prime minister, last month that the US had “orchestrated” the war in the Georgian enclave.

The US military provided combat training to 80 Georgian special forces commandos only months prior to Georgia’s army assault in South Ossetia in August.

The revelation, based on recruitment documents and interviews with US military trainers obtained by the Financial Times, could add fuel to accusations by Vlad imir Putin, Russian prime minister, last month that the US had “orchestrated” the war in the Georgian enclave.

Back