Georgia, the Olympics, the US armada and Iran

FluffyMcDeath

Reaction score
So, we have a lot going on all of a sudden.

We've got the cold war that's been playing between the US and Russia in Georgia suddenly turning hot. This is a bit of a distraction for the Russians but doesn't seriously tie them down, and it is all part of the pipeline game that they need to play so I'm sure they're not crying over being in there. It happens under cover of the Olympics which may or may not curtail coverage.

Interestingly it seems to be having a consequence for the US in Iraq even though it is a small contingent but the 2000 Georgian troops are being airlifted home to fight in Georgia. Even though it's a small force fair bit of logistical resources goes into the move and they'll have to be covered.

The Chinese as hosts of the Olympics have the worlds attention on them and so it would not be a good time to go doing anything militarily like taking Taiwan when most of the US fleet seems to be headed for the Gulf to set up a blockade "to discourage Iran's nuclear ambitions" or more likely to establish the adversarial conditions to get a war on.

With Russia distracted by Georgia perhaps there's some calculation that they will not be able to stand with Iran.

Some very interesting moves being made.

We've got the cold war that's been playing between the US and Russia in Georgia suddenly turning hot. This is a bit of a distraction for the Russians but doesn't seriously tie them down, and it is all part of the pipeline game that they need to play so I'm sure they're not crying over being in there. It happens under cover of the Olympics which may or may not curtail coverage.

Interestingly it seems to be having a consequence for the US in Iraq even though it is a small contingent but the 2000 Georgian troops are being airlifted home to fight in Georgia. Even though it's a small force fair bit of logistical resources goes into the move and they'll have to be covered.

The Chinese as hosts of the Olympics have the worlds attention on them and so it would not be a good time to go doing anything militarily like taking Taiwan when most of the US fleet seems to be headed for the Gulf to set up a blockade "to discourage Iran's nuclear ambitions" or more likely to establish the adversarial conditions to get a war on.

With Russia distracted by Georgia perhaps there's some calculation that they will not be able to stand with Iran.

Many here don't like to think that the US plays any geopolitical games to control access to and control over commodities. Would those people feel that the accusation would carry weightif Russia was doing it?

Meanwhile the US has flown 800 Georgians back home from Iraq and are sending weapons too!

Many here don't like to think that the US plays any geopolitical games to control access to and control over commodities. Would those people feel that the accusation would carry weightif Russia was doing it?

Meanwhile the US has flown 800 Georgians back home from Iraq and are sending weapons too!

Didn't really say what type of weapons. Surface to air missiles would be nice. I wonder if the CIA expected this move or where they caught off guard (I'm guessing the latter). I think we're starting to see a Russia that's growing more confident and less worried about the Western powers. It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

- Mike

Didn't really say what type of weapons. Surface to air missiles would be nice. I wonder if the CIA expected this move or where they caught off guard (I'm guessing the latter). I think we're starting to see a Russia that's growing more confident and less worried about the Western powers. It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

- Mike

- Mike

- Mike

- Mike

- Mike

Glaucus said:
It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

I'm of the normal opinion of "why is this any of our (The US') bleeping business?"

Glaucus said:
It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

I'm of the normal opinion of "why is this any of our (The US') bleeping business?"

Back