Georgia, the Olympics, the US armada and Iran

Robert said:
Glaucus said:
the Ukraine is seriously concerned about Russia's long term plans.

Hardly surprising, given the Ukranian government's (although apparently not the Ukrainian population's) desire to join NATO.
I really don't know much about what the average Ukrainian thinks of NATO, but it does appear that the population is split between the West and Russia - with the pro-West being a majority. And that makes historic sense. The Ukrainian suffered under Soviet rule, but at the same time many Russians moved into the area. If the majority of Ukrainians really want to severe the ties with Russia, NATO is their best chance at that. The Ukrainian Russians will probably protest this, with much support and encouragement from Russia I'm sure. I certainly don't buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

No doubt any such move will have the hypocrites out in force again, with their ludicrous cries of "unacceptable," etc.
Maybe, but it does seem like a well planned escalation of the cold war here. Btw, notice that many of the nations in the SCO, and those planning to join, have some of the worst human rights records with dubious forms of government?

Interesting restraint for a so-called 'free democracy'.
I think it sounds reasonable considering the situation.

Well, of course and this is exactly one of the points some of us have been trying to make above the hypocritical din of Georgia-good-Russia-bad rhetoric coming from almost all the major news outlets and US/UK governments.
The Kosovo Albanians were encouraged by Western support and when the KLA made attacks on Serbs, the Serbs attacked back and that gave NATO the "moral" authority to attack the Serbs. Here, Russia armed and encouraged the South Ossetians to attack the Georgians, which they did. They drew in the Georgians in much the same way as the KLA drew in the Serbs, and the Georgian attack drew in Russia much how the Serbs drew in NATO. I opposed the NATO attack on Serbia as I oppose the Russian attack on Georgia. Kosovo was a win for the West, S. Ossetia a win for Russia. One may argue that Russia was driven to make their move with NATO expansion and the missile defense shield in Europe, but I can not believe that the US was directly behind this war. Whether Georgia is good or evil is secondary to me as there's a much bigger picture here.

- Mike

Robert said:
Glaucus said:

Hardly surprising, given the Ukranian government's (although apparently not the Ukrainian population's) desire to join NATO.
I really don't know much about what the average Ukrainian thinks of NATO, but it does appear that the population is split between the West and Russia - with the pro-West being a majority. And that makes historic sense. The Ukrainian suffered under Soviet rule, but at the same time many Russians moved into the area. If the majority of Ukrainians really want to severe the ties with Russia, NATO is their best chance at that. The Ukrainian Russians will probably protest this, with much support and encouragement from Russia I'm sure. I certainly don't buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

No doubt any such move will have the hypocrites out in force again, with their ludicrous cries of "unacceptable," etc.
Maybe, but it does seem like a well planned escalation of the cold war here. Btw, notice that many of the nations in the SCO, and those planning to join, have some of the worst human rights records with dubious forms of government?

Well, of course and this is exactly one of the points some of us have been trying to make above the hypocritical din of Georgia-good-Russia-bad rhetoric coming from almost all the major news outlets and US/UK governments.
The Kosovo Albanians were encouraged by Western support and when the KLA made attacks on Serbs, the Serbs attacked back and that gave NATO the "moral" authority to attack the Serbs. Here, Russia armed and encouraged the South Ossetians to attack the Georgians, which they did. They drew in the Georgians in much the same way as the KLA drew in the Serbs, and the Georgian attack drew in Russia much how the Serbs drew in NATO. I opposed the NATO attack on Serbia as I oppose the Russian attack on Georgia. Kosovo was a win for the West, S. Ossetia a win for Russia. One may argue that Russia was driven to make their move with NATO expansion and the missile defense shield in Europe, but I can not believe that the US was directly behind this war. Whether Georgia is good or evil is secondary to me as there's a much bigger picture here.

- Mike

Robert said:
Glaucus said:

- Mike

Robert said:
Glaucus said:

- Mike

Robert said:
Glaucus said:

- Mike

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

I really don't know much about what the average Ukrainian thinks of NATO, [..] I certainly don't buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

Don't take my word for it:
Only 11.1% of Ukrainians polled in a survey published on Monday said they supported the country's drive to join NATO, while almost 36% said they would vote against the plans if a referendum were held.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/libra ... osti01.htm

I'm aware this is just a poll, which is why I used the word 'apparently'.
On the other hand I see nothing to tell me otherwise and I for one do buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

I also wonder what makes you think they wouldn't act against the wishes of the majority. My government does it regularly, Iraq being the most obvious example.

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

I really don't know much about what the average Ukrainian thinks of NATO, [..] I certainly don't buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

Only 11.1% of Ukrainians polled in a survey published on Monday said they supported the country's drive to join NATO, while almost 36% said they would vote against the plans if a referendum were held.

On the other hand I see nothing to tell me otherwise and I for one do buy the idea that the Ukrainian leadership is acting against the wishes of the majority in this case.

I also wonder what makes you think they wouldn't act against the wishes of the majority. My government does it regularly, Iraq being the most obvious example.

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

Glaucus said:
Robert said:
Glaucus said:

Robert said:
Not necessarily. From your own article we have:

Ukraine's Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said previously that a decision on whether Ukraine should take up any future NATO offer to join the alliance would only be taken after a nationwide referendum.

Also, the survey was conducted many months ago. Things might have changed since the S. Ossetian war. But despite that, the article states that only 36% would oppose NATO in a referendum, which leaves 63% unaccounted for. I'd imagine that Russia helped the fence-sitters make a quick decision this past month.

I never said the Ukrainian would never act against the majorities wishes. I just speculated that in this case they are in tune with the majority - and I still stand by that speculation until I see evidence to counter that.

And one reason why some Ukrainians may not want to join NATO:

Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, has threatened to re-target nuclear missiles toward Ukraine if it joins the Western military alliance.

It may not be for hate of the West that some wish to stay out of NATO. It may be fear of Russia and how it will retaliate.

- Mike

Robert said:

Ukraine's Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said previously that a decision on whether Ukraine should take up any future NATO offer to join the alliance would only be taken after a nationwide referendum.

Also, the survey was conducted many months ago. Things might have changed since the S. Ossetian war. But despite that, the article states that only 36% would oppose NATO in a referendum, which leaves 63% unaccounted for. I'd imagine that Russia helped the fence-sitters make a quick decision this past month.

I never said the Ukrainian would never act against the majorities wishes. I just speculated that in this case they are in tune with the majority - and I still stand by that speculation until I see evidence to counter that.

Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, has threatened to re-target nuclear missiles toward Ukraine if it joins the Western military alliance.

It may not be for hate of the West that some wish to stay out of NATO. It may be fear of Russia and how it will retaliate.

- Mike

Robert said:

- Mike

Robert said:

- Mike

Robert said:

- Mike

Robert said:

- Mike

Today's developments:

Putin blames US for Georgia role

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the US of provoking the conflict in Georgia, possibly for domestic election purposes.

Mr Putin told CNN US citizens were "in the area" during the conflict over South Ossetia and were "taking direct orders from their leaders".

He said his defence officials had told him the provocation was to benefit one of the US presidential candidates.

Quite laughable. It seems Putin has been reading Whyzzat.com! :-D I guess he thought the internet conspiracy theorists needed some help here. However, the article gets really interesting at the very bottom:

Earlier on Thursday Russia failed to get strong backing from its Asian allies over the Georgia conflict.

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), comprising Russia, China and Central Asian nations, met in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and spoke of its deep concern.

The group did not follow Russia in recognising the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

It seems Russia's closest allies didn't really dig what Russia did in S. Ossetia either. However, it doesn't look like Russia cares a whole lot and seems to be going out of it's way to up the ante:

Amid the rising tension, Russia announced on Thursday it had successfully tested its long-range Topol ballistic missile from a launch site in Kamchatka in the far east of the country.

Russia says the rocket is capable of penetrating the proposed US missile defence.

Russians are good chess players, and the rook just traded places with the king. Welcome to the new Cold War.

- Mike

Today's developments:

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the US of provoking the conflict in Georgia, possibly for domestic election purposes.

Mr Putin told CNN US citizens were "in the area" during the conflict over South Ossetia and were "taking direct orders from their leaders".

He said his defence officials had told him the provocation was to benefit one of the US presidential candidates.

Quite laughable. It seems Putin has been reading Whyzzat.com! :-D I guess he thought the internet conspiracy theorists needed some help here. However, the article gets really interesting at the very bottom:

Earlier on Thursday Russia failed to get strong backing from its Asian allies over the Georgia conflict.

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), comprising Russia, China and Central Asian nations, met in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and spoke of its deep concern.

The group did not follow Russia in recognising the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

It seems Russia's closest allies didn't really dig what Russia did in S. Ossetia either. However, it doesn't look like Russia cares a whole lot and seems to be going out of it's way to up the ante:

Amid the rising tension, Russia announced on Thursday it had successfully tested its long-range Topol ballistic missile from a launch site in Kamchatka in the far east of the country.

Russia says the rocket is capable of penetrating the proposed US missile defence.

Russians are good chess players, and the rook just traded places with the king. Welcome to the new Cold War.

- Mike

Today's developments:

- Mike

Back