George Zimmerman found not guilty

I saw that the other day. I figured it would end up in this thread sooner or later. :)
The interview reads that the jury saw insufficient evidence for conviction. Though it would appear, according to this jurer, that many on the jury had the gut feeling the killing was wrong.

zimmerman's father is just trying to save face

it's a pathetic attempt and it's not fooling anyone

ABC is misleading viewers using selective editing about what juror Maddy actually said and meant

William Saletan at Slate points out that the unedited interview shows something different. Maddy hesitates twice when answering Roberts’ question which contains the statement “George Zimmerman got away with murder.” Saletan points out “she looks as though she’s trying to reconcile the sentiment that’s been quoted to her—that Zimmerman ‘got away with murder’—with her own perspective. So she repeats the quote and adds words of her own, to convey what she thinks: that there’s a justice higher than the law, which Zimmerman will have to face ”

colorblind.png

Hahaha that is so true! MLK was a democrat and Republicans tried to block civil rights and were pro-slavery! Zimmerman chased down that boy because he saw that he was black, pinned him to the ground and blasted away while laughing. I'm so glad the cartoon got it right! We need new laws against white crackers!

After reading Fluffy's comments I decided to watch the piece. With your comments above I though it would be one sided. Unfortunately, I wasn't disappointed. The video talks LOTS about Martin's life before the incident and Zimmerman's a bit before the incident..

A Few Questions for Those Upset by the Zimmerman Verdict

34. According to Zimmerman's 2005 arrest report, this is what happened:

In July 2005 Zimmerman was at a college bar at UCF. While he was there undercover agents with the state ABT division were conducting a sting operation for underage drinking. An agent tried to arrest one of Zimmerman's friends, but Zimmerman, possibly not understanding what was happening, walked up to his friend and started trying to talk to him. The report says Zimmerman refused to leave and at some point he "pushed" the agent.

Zimmerman was arrested and charged with "resisting officer with violence" and "battery of law enforcement officer". Those charges were immediately reduced to "resisting officer without violence" and then dropped altogether when Zimmerman entered a "pre-trial diversion" program, which is common for first-time offenders. The program usually entails paying fines and taking classes for anger management, alcohol abuse, etc.

In his application to the citizens' police academy Zimmerman disputed the police report, insisting that the undercover agent never told him he was an officer. He wrote "I hold law enforcement officers in the highest reguard, as I hope to one day become one. I would never have touched a police officer."

Other than hearing that Zimmerman was "arrested for assaulting a police officer", did you ever hear any of these details or hear Zimmerman's claim about what happened?

@redrumloa,

You've been hanging out in ... interesting places to come across channels like that.

Mind you, I guess it fits in with the Saint George theme going on around here.

George == good, Trayvon == bad therefore George kills Trayvon == good.

Its the same formula by which America justifies its wars.

Actually I was looking for that PSA and not paying attention to the channel at all.

Here you go Fluffy, the original source at University of Minnesota.

With the tagline “It's hard to see racism when you're white,” the campaign will attempt to heighten attention to white privilege and encourage dialogue through posters, billboards, the campaign’s website, public workshops, guest speakers, community reads, films, and facilitated discussions.

You know that YOU were born white so YOU are a devil.

UMD is sponsoring activities on campus. Tim Wise, author of Dear White America: Letter to a New Minority, White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son, and other books, will be on our campus on February 16 for a lecture at 6:00 p.m., in the Kirby Ballroom. The event is free and open to the public and all are encouraged to participate. Also during that day, Wise will interact with students, faculty and staff at a series of group conversations.

Another opportunity to participate is to attend the film series that kicks off on Monday, January 30, with Mirrors of Privilege, Making Whiteness Visible. The film will be shown from noon-1:30 p.m., in the Griggs Center. Other films will be shown throughout Spring Semester. For a complete listing and for other events both on and off campus, visit: http://unfaircampaign.org. For more information about UMD's Campus Climate initiatives, see:http://www.d.umn.edu/chancellor/climate/.

The UnFair Campaign raises issues about how hard it is to see racism when one is not subjected to daily acts of discrimination and intolerance. The 14 Duluth community organizations understand that problems are ingrained in the fabric of our society, and advancing equity, diversity, and social justice requires persistence and long-term work.

"I am committed to stay the course and work with students, faculty, staff, and the community until we reach our goals," said Chancellor Black. "I look forward to participating with in the UnFair Campaign’s activities, both on and off campus."

u-ywca1.jpg

You know that YOU were born white so YOU are a devil.

YOU were born white but that doesn't stop YOU from talking like an idiot. Why don't you step back from your attempts at being humerously hyperbolic and just lay out your actual argument logically. What is your actual disagreement with the premise that whites receive better treatment in society generally than non-whites.

.. Zimmerman, possibly not understanding what was happening..refused to leave and at some point he "pushed" the agent. ... Those charges were immediately...when Zimmerman entered a "pre-trial diversion" program, which ... entails paying fines and taking classes for anger management
Thanks for the info. Strangely you seem focused at convicting Martin for his actions outside of that day and forgive Zimmerman for his. Your approach is inconsistent. It's nice to see you posting some of the details from another time when Zimmerman played cop and didn't get what was going on, while still deciding to take matters into his own hands.

There are lots of evidence to his cop-wannabe attitude. The self-appointed neighborhood watch, Zimmerman, on many incidents stalked various people because he suspected them of inappropriate actions that night. In reality, he was rarely if ever correct. Even in the case of Martin there was nothing here to indicate following was needed. Even the trained professionals agreed. They told Zimmerman there was no reason to continue following Martin. Martin clearly did not hold their opinion in high regard as he rejected it.

Any comments on Zimmerman's accused actions from his cousin's claim of sexual molestation or his leagal restraining orders from a one time fiancee?

If you want to consider prior history then what we have here is a cop wannabe with his own history of violence meeting up with a thugee wanna be with his own history of violence. In this case it was a disaster. Both people had the options to make better choices. (One was even asked by the group he highly respected to make a better choice.) Neither one did it. Culpability lies with both.

Back