Elon Musk watch (was Elon Muskrat watch)

Musk ran a poll about reinstating Trump, which Trump encouraged his Truth followers to vote in. Musk then trumpeted Trump's return* to Twitter, only for Trump to patch him.

*completely contradicting himself, of course:
FgLVl7eVEAI2CWy.png
And there's the game. Just because he owns it, doesn't mean he can do what he wants. So what really runs twitter?

You mean ... sabotage?
I've no idea if any of that has gone on at Twitter, mainly due to the tracks that would be difficult to hide for anyone indulging in it. That said, if there's a feeling of unfair treatment then the temptation will undoubtedly be there for some. It's not something I would be doing these days but when I was around 18/19, I once indulged in a spot of audio cable jiggery-pokery in a bar I'd been DJ-ing in, after new owners took over who were, frankly, arseholes. There was no major harm done but I did get to enjoy an hour or so of confused chaos, rounded off with them paying me to fix my own mess. It's petty but it happens.

Unless aimed squarely and exclusively at the army of gullible ditto-heads who idolise him, surely he doesn't believe that anyone really believes that he believes that anyone will believe this fanciful nonsense?
And there's definitely a punchline somewhere in the story of Mars deserting Musk.
Mars started suspending advertising activities on Twitter in late September when we learned of some significant brand safety and suitability incidents that impacted our brand.

Unless aimed squarely and exclusively at the army of gullible ditto-heads who idolise him, surely he doesn't believe that anyone really believes that he believes that anyone will believe this fanciful nonsense?
And there's definitely a punchline somewhere in the story of Mars deserting Musk.
I don't care why he cancelled it - so long as it's cancelled. The activists are a good group to blame though because everybody hates them (or will when something they lie gets hit) and they are a cancer on anything "social". They are a minority, they are extremists and they think they have the right to hound anyone who blasphemes. I look forward to the day they all quit twitter in protest.

What are we talking about here? What is it you think he has cancelled and why are you so delighted about it?
Content moderation council.
That sort of thing always attracts activists, intolerant busybodies, fundamentalist religions and totalitarian state actors. Normal people have better uses for their time than trying to stop other people from saying things.

Content moderation council.
In order for something to be cancelled, it has to have existed in some form in the first place, even if just a plan. I'm not sure that's the case here. The only evidence it was ever planned is Musk said so. With his recent record of Tweeting nonsense, contradicting himself, apparently forgetting what he said yesterday, deleting swathes of his own ramblings, etc, Musk having claimed something is not much better than no evidence at all.
I think it's just as likely that he said that in the hope of keeping some advertisers and either forgot he said it or was lying from the start and never had any intention doing what he said. Either way, his explanation for this apparent U-turn is clearly a lie and that probably doesn't sit so well with some of the people he wants to spend money on Twitter.
Normal people have better uses for their time than trying to stop other people from saying things.
Such a simplistic and idealistic view of "trying to stop other people from saying things" ignores the reality of trying to run a successful social media platform. Can you point me to an example of a successful yet completely free and open social media platform that isn't the current incarnation of 8kun? If not, why not? (hint, it's not simply because everyone except 'Q' loves busybody-riddled moderation councils)

Last edited:
If this is true there's a bit of me (the unsympathetic, nazi bit of me :D) thinking you have to be a special kind of stupid to go back to a place that's just fired you and take its claims that you're "critical talent" seriously.
FiXp68DUYAEOIYa

If this is true there's a bit of me (the unsympathetic, nazi bit of me :D) thinking you have to be a special kind of stupid to go back to a place that's just fired you and take its claims that you're "critical talent" seriously.
FiXp68DUYAEOIYa
Considering the huge number of recent layoffs from non-twitter tech companies it looks like he can kiss that H1B visa goodbye. America needed cheap foreign talent to keep the wages down when tech was booming. Not so much now it's busting.

In order for something to be cancelled, it has to have existed in some form in the first place, even if just a plan. I'm not sure that's the case here. The only evidence it was ever planned is Musk said so. With his recent record of Tweeting nonsense, contradicting himself, apparently forgetting what he said yesterday, deleting swathes of his own ramblings, etc, Musk having claimed something is not much better than no evidence at all.
I think it's just as likely that he said that in the hope of keeping some advertisers and either forgot he said it or was lying from the start and never had any intention doing what he said. Either way, his explanation for this apparent U-turn is clearly a lie and that probably doesn't sit so well with some of the people he wants to spend money on Twitter.

Such a simplistic and idealistic view of "trying to stop other people from saying things" ignores the reality of trying to run a successful social media platform. Can you point me to an example of a successful yet completely free and open social media platform that isn't the current incarnation of 8kun? If not, why not? (hint, it's not simply because everyone except 'Q' loves busybody-riddled moderation councils)
Advertisers care about audiences with money and an interest in the product. That's it. But activists know that they can make a PR stink for corporations using guilt by association. If it wasn't for the activists, advertisers would be putting their money where it makes the best returns. That's been a strategy of activists groups for more than a decade now - perhaps longer. I can't remember when I first became aware of it. There are thousands of activists like these people https://www.npr.org/2022/06/09/1103...on-tries-to-drain-fox-news-of-online-advertis who use social leverage like a force multiplier to punch way above their popularity weight.

Wil Wheaton continues to be butt-hurt about not being as popular as ... just about anybody else.
wow, his point just went right over your head

and Wheaton is doing just fine, thank you

Back