The Whyzzat Star Wars thread

I know a couple people here didn't absolutely hate The Last Jedi as much as I did, but do ANY of you think it was worthy of an award?

FYI be warned Movieweb is a garbage tier movie news site.

Internet Savagely Reacts to Rian Johnson's Last Jedi Saturn Award Win

At last night's 2018 Saturn Awards, The Last Jedi writer and director Rian Johnson won the award for Best Writing. Since the release of The Last Jedi, a number of Star Wars fans on the Internet have crudely expressed their disdain towards the decisions Johnson made in the movie, so it's not too big of a surprise to know that many of the people on the Internet did not take Johnson's win very well.

Wow... Wow... Who were the nominees?

Best Film Screenplay:

Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole (Black Panther)
Hampton Fancher, Michael Green (Blade Runner 2049)
Jordan Peele (Get Out)
Scott Frank, James Mangold, Michael Green (Logan)
Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor (The Shape of Water)
Rian Johnson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)
Allan Heinberg, Zac Snyder, Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman)

If they were in any way honest, Logan would have won. It just goes to show where these award shows priorities go. Last Jedi has the worst screenplay of all nominies, yet wins for seemingly no reason other than politics or at best insider back slapping.

I know a couple people here didn't absolutely hate The Last Jedi as much as I did, but do ANY of you think it was worthy of an award?

FYI be warned Movieweb is a garbage tier movie news site.

Internet Savagely Reacts to Rian Johnson's Last Jedi Saturn Award Win

At last night's 2018 Saturn Awards, The Last Jedi writer and director Rian Johnson won the award for Best Writing. Since the release of The Last Jedi, a number of Star Wars fans on the Internet have crudely expressed their disdain towards the decisions Johnson made in the movie, so it's not too big of a surprise to know that many of the people on the Internet did not take Johnson's win very well.

Wow... Wow... Who were the nominees?

Best Film Screenplay:

Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole (Black Panther)
Hampton Fancher, Michael Green (Blade Runner 2049)
Jordan Peele (Get Out)
Scott Frank, James Mangold, Michael Green (Logan)
Rian Johnson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)
Allan Heinberg, Zac Snyder, Jason Fuchs (Wonder Woman)

If they were in any way honest, Logan would have won. It just goes to show where these award shows priorities go. Last Jedi has the worst screenplay of all nominies, yet wins for seemingly no reason other than politics or at best insider back slapping.

Yeah, really. What kind of crap list is that?

I agree that Last Jedi had a lot of really lazy writing, and worse screenplay.

Myself, I'm not sure about Logan winning... I wasn't the biggest fan of Logan. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it to be so rough. Especially coming off the "Days of Future Past" arc that I really liked.

But personally, I'd say from that list, I'd say Logan and Black Panther are the only two that should be on it. I went into Black Panther half expecting a race riot to break out, and by the end everyone was in agreement that it was a really good Marvel movie.

The rest range somewhere between "meh" and "barf."

Yeah, really. What kind of crap list is that?

Apparently Saturn Awards are for SciFi or Horror with some SciFi elements. I didn't seen enough 2017 movies in theater to think off the top of my head what else should be on the list.

I agree that Last Jedi had a lot of really lazy writing, and worse screenplay.

I agree completely. Some seem to be able to look past it, I could not.

Myself, I'm not sure about Logan winning... I wasn't the biggest fan of Logan. Maybe I just wasn't expecting it to be so rough. Especially coming off the "Days of Future Past" arc that I really liked.

I don't really watch comic book movies anymore. I burned out on them about a decade ago. I'm told the recent MCU is really good, I may check a few out. I watched Logan because I heard it was good and treated him like he was originally written. Wolverine is the reason I read comics as a kid. I know this is based on some "Old Man Logan" story line in the comics, but that is after I stopped reading comics. I enjoyed it because it does capture the themes of Wolverine from the way the original 70's through early 80's comics wrote him. Well, it took it to the next logical step, but depicted him as I would expect.

I want to add some commentary on this movie. I was extremely disappointed in this one. My hopes and expectations were pretty high. I was a fan of Guillermo del Toro before he was a household name. Pan's Labyrinth blew me away, I loved it. The Devil's Backbone was really good too. I even enjoyed the first Hellboy. The fact he was going back to what seemed like independent filming period pieces like the first 2 mentioned above excited me. The movie's first act was rock solid, I thought it was going to be an amazing film. About half way through cracks were forming. The 3rd act was overall an abomination. The cringe was real. The final scene was OK, but by that point I was so far taken out of the movie it was little consolation. What a shame.

-Edit- Even still, it is heads and shoulders over The Last Jedi. It is not even close.

I don't really watch comic book movies anymore. I burned out on them about a decade ago. I'm told the recent MCU is really good, I may check a few out. I watched Logan because I heard it was good and treated him like he was originally written. Wolverine is the reason I read comics as a kid. I know this is based on some "Old Man Logan" story line in the comics, but that is after I stopped reading comics. I enjoyed it because it does capture the themes of Wolverine from the way the original 70's through early 80's comics wrote him. Well, it took it to the next logical step, but depicted him as I would expect.

Yep, Old Man Logan and fossil Professor X. It was a good movie, and it certainly had it's roots in the comics. I just wasn't in the right mood for it that night, I think.

As for the current MCU... Yep, they're pretty good. I'm not sure they haven't jumped the shark with this Infinity War mess. Jury is still out on that. But, at the very least, I'd recommend the first Iron Man in this set, Captain America: First Avenger, and Captain America: Civil War. Those three are probably the three best superhero movies I've ever seen. And that is kind of saying something, because I never cared a bit about Captain America as a kid, and didn't pay much more attention to Iron Man, if I'm completely honest... But Robert Downey Jr. couldn't be a better Tony Stark. Absolutely perfect. Iron Man 2 and 3 don't cover much, but are still decent solely because of him.

No politics about Star Wars in this video, just an interesting fan theory that is probably true. He starts off with some parental advice at the beginning you may or may not want to skip since it is unrelated to Star Wars.

The theory sounds plausible to me. Shame Rian "Round Head" Johnson and Lucasfilm employees in general have alienated most of the fanbase to the point it doesn't matter what they do from here on out.

The jacket worn by Harrison Ford when he played Han Solo in Star Wars' The Empire Strikes Back is expected to fetch up to £1m at auction next month.
_102778736_hi048424978.jpg

Star Wars under Disney is DONE.

D O N E .

5e62pl.jpg

Get woke, go broke.

That Star Wars Resistance trailer has even worse ratio-ing now. Star Wars toy failure not only contributed to Toys-r-Us closing down, but also now the primary factor in Hasbro layoffs.

Going back to Last Jedi, this video apparently came out earlier this year in May after the Bluray release. I don't think it was posted here yet.

I agree with everything this guy says.

memba when we were told by t he shill media that infamous "Force Is Female" photo shoot was nothing more than a Nike marketing campaign?

Everything you showed there is just the anti Kennedy Star Wars fans with an agenda.

Walt Disney FORM 10-K For the Fiscal Year Ended September 29, 2018

Lower comparable retail store sales reflected decreased sales of Star Wars and Moana merchandise in the current year, partially offset by higher sales of Mickey and Minnie merchandise

--

Lower games revenue was due to the discontinuation of Infinity in fiscal year 2016 and decreased licensing revenue from Star Wars: Battlefront. The decrease at our merchandise licensing business was due to lower revenue in fiscal year 2017 from merchandise based on Star Wars and Frozen and an unfavorable FX Impact, partially offset by a benefit from licensee settlements and higher revenue from merchandise based on Cars. The decrease at our publishing business was primarily due to lower sales of licensed and self-published books based on Star Wars and Frozen and a decrease in sales of comic books based on Star Wars.

Disney are pond scum.

Star Wars 9 Boycott Called After Disney Highjacks Darth Vader Fan Film

Before making Vader Episode 1: Shards of the Past, the Star Wars Theory YouTube channel asked for permission from Lucasfilm. They were then given the green light to move forward, as long as they followed two guidelines: they couldn't crowdfund and they couldn't monetize the fan film on YouTube. Toos, who runs the popular channel, decided to fund the movie himself and strictly make it out of his love of Star Wars. The movie was put out on December 20th and has nearly 7 million views.

Earlier this week, Toos received a copyright strike from Warner/Chappel publishing, who are the publisher for the Walt Disney Music Company. Even though he hired a composer to make music that was based off of the work of John Williams, the publisher believes that it is too close to the "Imperial March" theme. They did not take down the video, instead, they monetized it themselves and have made over $80,000, according to Toos. This news has left a bad feeling for hardcore fans, who have enjoyed fan films for decades.

While a lot of Star Wars 9 boycotts are often started by people who hate Disneyand what they have done with the franchise, this new boycott comes from fans who are passionate about the way that Disney treats fans. George Lucas is/was a big supporter of fans creating their own takes on his stories, and Vader Episode 1: Shards of the Past could be one of the best ever made. Toos isn't bummed out that he wasn't able to monetize his movie, but the way that Disney has treated him has taken its toll.

After receiving the copyright strike, Toos revealed that Disney had reached out to him. However, it wasn't to offer support or even apologize, it was to basically threaten him against taking legal action against them. The theme that the movie uses is similar to John Williams' work, but it is not a direct rip-off, which means that Toos could actually have a case. But, the publisher threatened to have the entire Star Wars Theory YouTube channel taken down, which is how Toos makes his living.

Back