The Whyzzat Star Wars thread

Ouch! That's going to leave a mark.

They mean <$10M opening weekend, that's a typo. Also when they say collapse second week, they mean collapse. It may not even get a second week. Last Jedi had a 90% drop in China it's second week and was gone. This may get pulled after one week. China doesn't play around with SJW politics.

I’ve got tickets to the 1145am showing on Friday. My thoughts afterwards but I’m really not sure what to expect from this film. We’ll see.

As for a previous comment, the new Star Trek (Abrams,etc...) is dead to me.

Regards,
Ltstanfo
Howdy stranger! :pint:

636501595633307728-Brewster-Accident.jpg

The shills are trying to spin it the best they can. After the last several months of telling us it was going to break all sort of records opening weekend, it starts with hardly a whimper.

'Star Wars' Box Office: 'Solo' Starts Slow With Just $14M On Thursday

Solo: A Star Wars Story earned $14.1 million in Thursday previews last night. Yes, it is essentially half of what Rogue One: A Star Wars Story made ($29m) in its Thursday previews and a heck of a lot less than Force Awakens ($57m) and Last Jedi ($45m) earned in their Thursday preview grosses.

-cut shill spin spin spin spin-

At the moment, if Solo plays like a Disney Star Wars movie, we’re looking at an opening weekend between $64m Fri-Sun/$77m Fri-Mon

-cut shill spin spin spin spin-

I know both Robert and Ltstanfo at least have stated they are going to see Solo. I'd like to hear reactions from them and anyone else who went. If you liked it, so be it.

Besides the online commentators I had a close friend tell me today he hated the movie outright. This was a bit surprising since he's not a hardcore Star Wars fan by any stretch of the imagination and even liked The Last Jedi. Hearing him say this made me think of a comment I've seen repeated online which now rings true. With Disney Star Wars, everyone has a breaking point. I enjoyed Force Awakens and Rogue One when I first saw them. They had a lot of flaws for sure, but I was able to look past those flaws. Last Jedi to me was that straw. It just came off as an awful effort top to bottom. Before seeing Last Jedi I defended Force Awakens and Rogue One and couldn't quite understand why some people were making such a big deal of the flaws. After seeing Last Jedi, the flaws in Force Awakens were no longer trivial. To me TLJ ruined Force Awakens to a point. It seems my friend's breaking point was Solo. He compared it to 'The Village' which he knows is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Here is a non-fanboy, casual movie goer who is not a "angry basement dwelling middle aged white male" Lucasfilm is blaming, that is probably done with Disney Lucasfilm.

The shills continue to shill. While Solo is outright bombing at the box office, they are trying to spin it as still positive.

Solo Flies in Lower Than Expected with $148.3M Worldwide Debut

While Disney's Solo: A Star Wars Story was the only movie opening in wide release at the box office over the four-day holiday weekend, it still managed to underperform with the three-day estimates coming in this morning. We had projected that Solo: A Star Wars Story would take in around $110 million over the three-day weekend, but it came in far under that, taking in an estimated $83.3 million domestic and an additional $65 million internationally for a global three-day tally of $148.3 million. Now the four-day holiday projections for Solo: A Star Wars Story have been updated with the movie now poised to take in $101 million over the four-day holiday weekend.

The shill who wrote this goes on to speculate that franchise fatigue could be the culprit, while ignoring the elephant in the room. At least the person at garbage tier Movieweb who runs the Facebook page slightly acknowledges it when posting this link.

That big #Solo boycott looks like it may have dinged the #boxoffice right out of the gate...

It is now looking like my own projection of $390M in it's total box office run was far too high. The whole first week will be will be well under $200M, and the second week drop off will certainly be 70% or more. It will be completely out of theaters in 3 to 4 weeks max. Very, very conservatively Disney needs it to pull in $700M to turn a penny profit. That's not happening. Their head is going to be handed to them with hundreds of millions in losses.

The honest reviewers I have seen state that it is actually better than The last Jedi, but that is not saying much. Being better than a complete zero does not make it good. Disney Lucasfilm in their own words hate the fans and don't want the fans' money. What an astounding business model. If there was ever a perfect example of the destruction caused by the elitist Hollywood SJW bubble, the Star Wars franchise is it. I've said it before and will say it again, if Kathleen Kennedy and the cucks under her survive to make Episode 9, they will be fired right after it's run. Star Wars as a movie franchise will go dormant for years and then likely be entirely rebooted. AKA, Star Wars is dead and SJWs killed it.

This is actually an amazing video. Kathleen Kennedy clearly thinks Spaceballs is Star Wars canon.

I’ve got tickets to the 1145am showing on Friday. My thoughts afterwards but I’m really not sure what to expect from this film. We’ll see.

As for a previous comment, the new Star Trek (Abrams,etc...) is dead to me.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

So I saw the Solo movie and quite honestly.... it is.... ok. It is better than the Last Jedi but I’m not doing anyone favors by saying that. Sure... lots of great CGI and mindless action but there are plot/story holes large enough to drive a bus through... maybe even the Millenium Falcon. ;-)

I do agree with critics that Ron Howard probably “saved” the film but it took everything he had to make the product in release. I give it a 5 out of 10 and advise paying for a matinee ticket only. A full price ticket would leave me feeling underwhelmed. Your mileage may vary.

Deadpool 2 onnthe other hand is a work of dark comedy genius! :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

The rewriting of Star Wars continues. Garbage tier sites like Movieweb don't put out stories such as this without Disney's request.

Were Lobot and Lando Lovers in Empire Strikes Back?

Star-Wars-Empire-Strikes-Back-Lando-Lobot-Lovers.jpg

Lobot's story in the Star Wars universe had been a mystery for a long time before the Lando comic series came out in 2015. And to a certain extent, so had the story of Lando Calrissian. But, Solo: A Star Wars Storyhas shed some more light into the life of Lando, which highlights his pansexual and fluid lifestyle in certain scenes. Donald Glover, who plays the young Lando, along with screenwriters Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan have confirmed this aspect of Lando's personality, which brings up the question of whether or not he and Lobot were lovers in The Empire Strikes Back.

Groan... Everything has to be about sex with SJW Disney Lucasfilm.

Solo: A Marketing Disaster Story

After Scott Rhodie received a $77 ticket to watch Solo: A Star Wars Story three hours before anyone else in Australia, he was more than a little disappointed after he realised 400 of the 500-strong crowd were paid actors.

-

The day you cannot find Star Wars fans to turn up to an event is a bizarre day indeed. The 501st Legion would surely have turned up to see the movie early and take part in the event.

He goes on to say he loved the movie.

In other news, the movie is officially a huge bomb as predicted.

Solo: A Star Wars Story bombs at box office

By most measures, $103 million is a considerable sum of money. But for Disney, it spells a loss. This was the US box office takings for Solo: A Star Wars Story during the film's opening weekend, and, for a film that cost $250 million to make before marketing, it is much lower than expected.

A lot to unpack in this news.

Disney Stock Slips ‘Solo’ Miss, ‘Roseanne’ Exit

On a day of overall retreat for the major Wall Street stock indices, Disney shares ended the session down about 2.4%, closing at $99.69.

The disappointing opening of Solo: A Star Wars Story, which undershot estimates significantly over the weekend, also created a post-holiday hangover for shares. One comfort for Disney execs and shareholders is the fact that major media companies are much less vulnerable to the performance of individual shows or movies than they used to be.

As Soylo crashes and burns into an official box office bomb, Disney Lucasfilm employees continue with the narrative and continue to attack the fans.

The narrative has no teeth in case you aren't following this like I have. The people who supposedly would be thrilled are even angrier than the white male fanboys. If I get bored later I'll post some fun examples :-p

You will witness a train wreck next week when numbers are announced.

It is now looking like my own projection of $390M in it's total box office run was far too high. The whole first week will be will be well under $200M, and the second week drop off will certainly be 70% or more. It will be completely out of theaters in 3 to 4 weeks max. Very, very conservatively Disney needs it to pull in $700M to turn a penny profit. That's not happening. Their head is going to be handed to them with hundreds of millions in losses.

Not here, but everywhere else I've discussed this movie I was scoffed at when I made my prediction Solo would only hit $390M worldwide. The usual response was something along the lines of "you are on crack, it's a Star Wars movie so it will top $1B easy". Now? Simply topping $300M seems unlikely as it's about to be yanked from theaters.

‘Solo’ Fails at the Box Office and the Future of Star Wars in China

Solo: A Star Wars Story is the least successful Star Wars film ever. Unless a major revival (by some sheer magic) brings the film back to the attention of domestic and, especially, international audiences, Solo is set to plummet harder than any major Disney release since Tomorrowland. Doug Creutz, a media analyst for Cowen, reports (via deadline) that Solo is projected to only bring in $200 million total domestically.

Weekend Box Office: Solo Plummets, Newcomers Meh

Internationally, Solo: A Star Wars Story fell to #2 (behind a one Ryan Reynolds vehicle), grossing $30.3m from 54 markets. Overseas and global cumes are $115.4m and $264.39m, respectively

Wow. The film is starting to get pulled internationally due to plummeting sales, and it has only hit about $264M? Ouch, $300M is looking unlikely. Solo will be an epic bomb, but just how epic of a bomb is still being spun as not so bad by the shill media.

Solo: A Star Wars Story set to lose Disney upwards of $50 million

The first of the studio's Star Wars movies not to make a profit

Analysts have already declared Solo: A Star Wars Story a box office failure, the industry now assessing the monetary damage done to Disney and LucasFilm.

Considering the monumental success of The Force Awakens, Rogue One, and The Last Jedi, the thought that Solo could lose money was initially never even considered.

However, with a steep second-weekend decline at the box-office from an already disappointing opening weekend, one Wall Street analyst expects Solo to lose the studio an estimated $50 million.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, that figure looks to be on the light side. Sources tell the publication that number could be much closer to $80 million or higher, depending on how Disney deals with the movie’s home release.

This is all still spin. In reality, Solo will lose Disney Lucasfilm hundreds of millions, probably north of $300M. We'll probably need to wait until Disney's next quarterly filing with the SEC to see just how bad the loss at Lucasfilm division really was.

We the fans are sorry George Lucas! We gave you crap for Jar Jar, we gave you crap for tinkering with the originals in new box sets, and many of us even gave you crap for the prequels in general! None of this is as bad as the turd being laid by the hacks at Disney!

It's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll get to see the Solo flick in a local cinema as it is coming to the end of its run soon.

The main reason for this is somewhat unusual (at least for me) in that it is down to the weather here in Glasgow.
After a bitterly and unusually cold spring we've now had a solid six weeks of even more unusually warm, sunny conditions. This is really welcome here and I haven't been able to bring myself to sit in a dark cinema for a couple of hours when I can be outside enjoying the rare weather. The forecast for next weekend is rain but Solo only runs until Thursday.

This perhaps tells its own story, insofar as I would probably have forgone the good weather for earlier Star Wars movies.

It's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll get to see the Solo flick in a local cinema as it is coming to the end of its run soon.

The main reason for this is somewhat unusual (at least for me) in that it is down to the weather here in Glasgow.
After a bitterly and unusually cold spring we've now had a solid six weeks of even more unusually warm, sunny conditions. This is really welcome here and I haven't been able to bring myself to sit in a dark cinema for a couple of hours when I can be outside enjoying the rare weather. The forecast for next weekend is rain but Solo only runs until Thursday.

This perhaps tells its own story, insofar as I would probably have forgone the good weather for earlier Star Wars movies.

Don't worry, as big of a bomb this movie is, it will be available digitally very soon.

Back