The UK needs "Knife Control"

metalman

Reaction score
metalman said:
hot burglaries, burglaries where the victims are home:
In the USA the rate of hot burglaries is 13%
In the UK the rate of hot burglaries is now over 70%.

In the US criminals know that breaking in with people home is a good way to get shot.
Nah it all goes back to what George Bush said -- holding 3 jobs is uniquely American. -- Clearly having to work 3 jobs to make ends meet means people won't be home so chances are much better robberies happen when one isn't home. :lol:

We've all seen videos of the violence inherit in the system. The UK is a frightening place indeed.

metalman said:

In the US criminals know that breaking in with people home is a good way to get shot.
Nah it all goes back to what George Bush said -- holding 3 jobs is uniquely American. -- Clearly having to work 3 jobs to make ends meet means people won't be home so chances are much better robberies happen when one isn't home. :lol:

We've all seen videos of the violence inherit in the system. The UK is a frightening place indeed.

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

metalman said:

Knife violence is a problem in this country and the Scottish government are currently looking at ways of addressing the problem. Whether they come up with anything positive is another matter but longer sentences for possession is one of the aspects they're looking at.
I can walk into a local shop and buy swords or knives like any of these, which clearly have no legitimate purpose, no questions asked. I'd personally like to see some restrictions on this. Having said that, such a measure would only address a tiny part of the problem.

Great Britain banned private ownership of handguns in 1997.

I can only assume your argument is that, but for this decision, there would be a lot less violence which is, to be frank, complete and utter bollox.

Guns were restricted *because* of the violence caused by them, in case you overlooked that small but important detail.
Hungerford and Dunblane would have been far less violent if the murderers had been restricted to using knives. And if they'd been further restricted in the type of knives available to them, less violent again. Sure, a guy with a fishing knife could kill someone but of the numbers achieved in these cases? Somehow seems unlikely.

Knife violence is a problem in this country and the Scottish government are currently looking at ways of addressing the problem. Whether they come up with anything positive is another matter but longer sentences for possession is one of the aspects they're looking at.
I can walk into a local shop and buy swords or knives like any of these, which clearly have no legitimate purpose, no questions asked. I'd personally like to see some restrictions on this. Having said that, such a measure would only address a tiny part of the problem.

I can only assume your argument is that, but for this decision, there would be a lot less violence which is, to be frank, complete and utter bollox.

Guns were restricted *because* of the violence caused by them, in case you overlooked that small but important detail.
Hungerford and Dunblane would have been far less violent if the murderers had been restricted to using knives. And if they'd been further restricted in the type of knives available to them, less violent again. Sure, a guy with a fishing knife could kill someone but of the numbers achieved in these cases? Somehow seems unlikely.

It is frightening what's going on here. Almost every day there is a new violent crime related story in the newspaper.

Robert said:

I don't think swords are the problem. It's the small flick knives that will fit into a trouser pockets that are easily concealed and easy to carry around on, say, public transport.

You are right though, harsher sentences might help: there is no reason why anyone should be wandering around carrying a knife in their pocket (unless they've just bought it and are carrying it home).

It is frightening what's going on here. Almost every day there is a new violent crime related story in the newspaper.

Robert said:

I don't think swords are the problem. It's the small flick knives that will fit into a trouser pockets that are easily concealed and easy to carry around on, say, public transport.

You are right though, harsher sentences might help: there is no reason why anyone should be wandering around carrying a knife in their pocket (unless they've just bought it and are carrying it home).

Back