The Dead Celeb thread, 2018 edition

FOGHAT Bassist CRAIG MACGREGOR Dies At 68

craigmacgregorlive2013_638.jpg

I've heard the term "boffin" for a long time.. Exactly what does it mean.

Well, this article is from The Register and whenever you see the word 'boffin' on there, it's guaranteed to be an affectionate term for someone considered smarter than the average bear. It's usually a little more specific than that but that definition should get you most of the way there. ;)

I didn't agree with everything he said, but that goes for probably anyone I ever looked up to. He was obviously a once in a lifetime genius and was also a maverick who openly spoke about subjects like alien threats. It is sad, but the fact he lived for 55 years to the age of 76 with ALS is comforting.

I'm probably the only one to get this one at all, but yet another who died too young.

NECROPHAGIA Vocalist And Founder FRANK 'KILLJOY' PUCCI Dies At 48

NECROPHAGIA frontman Killjoy passed away this morning (Sunday, March 18), the band has confirmed. The vocalist, whose real name was Frank Pucci, was 48 years old. No cause of death has yet been released.

killjoyseasonofmist2014_638.jpg

REPULSION's Scott Carlson mourned Pucci's passing, writing in a Facebook post: "Just heard the sad news that Killjoy of NECROPHAGIA has gone into The Beyond. He and I began trading our bands' demos way back in '85 or so. He was a real sweetheart and a true aficionado of underground horror and music."

Pucci formed NECROPHAGIA in 1983 and released the band's debut album, "Season Of The Dead", in 1987. Pucci was the sole remaining original member in NECROPHAGIA's most recent lineup, which issued its latest LP, "WhiteWorm Cathedral", in 2014.

PANTERA frontman Philip Anselmo offered to write a NECROPHAGIA record two decades ago, which then resulted in his appearance on 1998's "Holocausto De La Morte", NECROPHAGIA's second full-length studio album. Anselmo contributed guitar tracks to the effort (under the name Anton Crowley) and two follow-up EPs, "Black Blood Vomitorium"(1999) and "Cannibal Holocaust" (2001), before departing the band.

"Philip is a great guy; he's like a brother to me. Unfortunately, due to extreme scheduling conflicts and previous commitments we will not be working together any longer," Pucci said in a 2002 interview.

Pucci first met Philip in 1990, bonding over their "mutual passion for true horror. He resurrected NECROPHAGIA in 1997 by writing some truly dark, horrific music that persuaded me to start doing music and NECROPHAGIA again," Frank explained.

I did not like Wayne for how Blockbuster operated under him, but as a sports team owner in South Florida and philanthropist, he was indeed a class act. RIP.

Andy Cohen: Huizenga Was A class Act In So Many Ways

temp2012-01-01-DolphinsvsJets-DaveCross-0216--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

I'm not sure there has ever been or will ever be a more important person to the overall South Florida sports scene than Wayne Huizenga.

Owned the Dolphins. Started the Marlins and Panthers. Had so much to do with giving this area a big-time sports flavor. But this isn't about what Huizenga did as much as how he did it. With kindness. With generosity. With class. With a rare ability to make even the most casual acquaintances feel special.

that's sad. She was great in at least one episode of Seinfeld

Back