Old Computers

Classic Amigas while awesome are getting really old and it can be difficult to get replacement custom chips.

Yes and no. Mostly yes, but that may be changing. Individual Computers Clone-A seems to be bearing some fruit finally. Icomp has teamed with Dave Haynie to push a drop in Buster replacement across the finish line, with bug fixes and improvements added. Modern Indivision models such as the IndivisionECS improve upon the Denise. Eliminating or replacing the Denise entirely could be next.

Knowing Jens, I suspect a slow drip of replacement custom chips could be forthcoming over the next decade or so.

Wow, that's a lot of Amigas and even a MorphOS rig for someone no longer into Amigas, LOL. I understand the desire to keep them. I hope you had them recapped. What unusual Amiga stuff did you get rid of?

Hah, I suppose that is a lot of Amigas for someone no longer into them. Though honestly, it's really only the A1200 rig. It was the one system I decided to keep. The NOS A500 will eventually be sold when the time seems right. Any others I might have are essentially parts grade, and would be sold cheaply or donated to a repair facility if I find them and get some ambition. None have been recapped, but I made sure there were no batteries or anything else short of a cap that could contaminate them. The A1200 was still stable last time it was used. At least as stable as any early C= A1200 with a GVP 030 was. (Displays the Lisa "white bars" corruption occasionally -- But my original A1200 back in early 1993 did that, too. Part of the nostalgia, I guess? :/ ) And the MorphOS system is really just an old PPC Mac I pulled from a scrapheap loaded with an OS I bought on a whim, and never really found a use for. I have a hard time considering it as much more than that, TBH.

As for the unusual Amiga stuff I got rid of... Nothing super-prototype rare, but some uncommon stuff. An A4000 desktop with CS-MK1 060 w/SCSI, CV3d, Amiga Z2 Ethernet (that old C= BNC and AUI board, forget the model)... Another A4000 with Prometheus board and PCI video and ethernet... 2x A3000 desktops, early model with the ROM tower. A retina Z2 board, one of the somewhat rare upgraded ROM editions of a FastLane SCSI and RAM Z3 card, A GVP A530 68030 + HD sidecar, an OCS A2000, A500 Bodega Bay expansion (the giant thing to make your A500 not fit on any desk, but likely to crush your foot should it fall.) An A500 VXL '030... Oh yeah, and one of those garbage zorro ethernet cards that was the junk grade ISA card poorly soldered to a Zorro interface. It never did work right. And then when I learned the ancient C= model I bought as a temporary replacement absolutely blew it out of the water, performance wise... Well, I just stuck with that. And oh yeah, I had a ASDG z2 serial card I used for a 56k modem. There was a Toaster 4000 in there somewhere, too. Though the TBC didn't work right, so it was of limited use. And a couple frame grabbers and MIDI boxes and some other misc. stuff I've probably forgotten. Oh yeah, a few oddball multisync monitors...

The A4000 / CS MK1 '060 / CS SCSI module / CV3d / C= Ethernet was my main rig from early 1994 through 1997 or so, though it started as a plain A4000 with the stock 3840 and I kept adding to it. That one was probably my favorite computer of all time in that final configuration. But it started getting flakey in the end, and probably needed a new power supply, some new caps (certainly in the audio output, at least, it got some static) and some other misc repair work. The CPU slot had a bad pin I had repaired, but might not be making perfect contact, as well, etc... Basically, it needed a good rework I never had time for. On one hand, I'm really sad I sold that rig. But I realized it needed more attention than I'd ever give it time for. :(

@redrumloa

It's good to hear that Clone-A is progressing. All the Amigas custom chips should be reproduced in FPGA. Ideally, a drop-in replacement because that would encourage the new PCB Amiga market even more. Jens is very talented and I always look forward to new products from his company. Competition in the Amiga scene drives innovation.

Last edited:

The First PC to Sell Millions: Commodore VIC-20 Turns 40

commodore_vic20_hero_2.jpg

-Edit-
That Doom port is not a joke, and does not use any exotic hardware expansions. It requires a 32k RAM expansion, and that's it! If you watch any footage on Youtube you will see it is an actual port. It's extremely limited due to the hardware it runs on, but it is obviously the actual game. There is a port for the C64, but it requires a SuperCPU and still runs more poorly than the Vic20 port. The C64 port was just a proof of concept for some MIPS to 65816 compiler, where the Vic20 port is a straight native port.

• Love
Reactions: adz
Gadzooks!! Be careful mentioning that port!! We can never be sure the ancient a.o curse has lifted. :eek:

-----

But happy 40th to the Vic-20!! Wow. I didn't have one, myself, but my friend did. And that was a big part of why we ended up deciding on C64s. So the Vic-20 has a special place in my heart.

First YT video in 2 years! I am setting up this Amiga 2000 with PC "Bridgeboard" up to do MS-DOS gaming properly and natively. The goal is getting it to the point of playing Duke Nukem 1 & 2 properly. That requires 286 instruction execution EGA and VGA respectively for 1 & 2. I'm almost there! So far:

Amiga 2000
A2088 Bridgeboard with 512k (upgraded to NEC v20 CPU which has 286 extensions)
ISA VGA board
Sound Blaster Pro ISA
MS-DOS 5.0

-pending overclock to 9.54Mhz
-pending adding addition 128k to bring to maximum 640k
-pending adding IDE-XT board for hard drive (on compact flash)

First YT video in 2 years! I am setting up this Amiga 2000 with PC "Bridgeboard" up to do MS-DOS gaming properly and natively. The goal is getting it to the point of playing Duke Nukem 1 & 2 properly. That requires 286 instruction execution EGA and VGA respectively for 1 & 2. I'm almost there! So far:

Amiga 2000
A2088 Bridgeboard with 512k (upgraded to NEC v20 CPU which has 286 extensions)
ISA VGA board
Sound Blaster Pro ISA
MS-DOS 5.0

-pending overclock to 9.54Mhz
-pending adding addition 128k to bring to maximum 640k
-pending adding IDE-XT board for hard drive (on compact flash)

I grew up with PCs (being jealous of my older cousins who had an Amiga 500), and in all my computer collecting, while being curious about the other systems, I neglected the PCs completely. I still regret that I hadn't properly repaired my Compaq portable (I threw it away thinking it was unrepairable), or that I passed on a Schneider EuroPC, that I could get for a guilder back in 1999 :S

Btw a sound blaster only became kinda common in the early 486 era (about 1993 - 1995) though.

Seriously pimped A1200:
244555529_10166035814510077_7582287932453131668_n.jpg

Sadly I can't post the picture out of respect of the poster's request, but if you are a member of the main 64/128 Facebook group you can see it HERE.

Remember the Eye of the Beholder C64 port being made by Swedish coding demigod Andreas Larsson (aka Jackasser, ja_boozedesign) and some graphics wizards? Well it's actually going to be *THE* KILLER APP for C128 (in 64 mode)!
FULL 1351 mouse support
C128 NUMPAD support for movement
2Mhz support!
And... (drumroll) c128 VDC-CHIP for a 2nd screen showing an auto-map in REAL TIME! BAM!

(photo by Andreas Larsson; please don't re-use or distribute w/o permission, thx)

Translated, this means this dungeon crawler game will take full advantage of the extra features of the Commodore 128/128D. This is a dual monitor game that uses the extra CPU speed and enables the num pad (off by default in 64 mode) Mouse support is also really sweet.

This is absolutely stunning. I've never been much of a dungeon crawler type of gamer, probably partially due to lack of map, but this has me excited. Dual monitor dungeon crawler with active map on second monitor? Taking full advantage of C128 extra features? I really wish an official licensed boxed edition could come out, I'd buy it! My 128D will be given a prominent desk space for 2 monitor setup when this comes out
1f642.png
Will probably dust off the old SuperCPU 128 also
1f603.png

Seriously pimped A1200:
244555529_10166035814510077_7582287932453131668_n.jpg

Wow... :wrong: So incredibly wrong. Why do I want one?!?!

I'd need to somehow rig up an RGB keyboard, as well, though. Which would be incredibly difficult to do on an Amiga. (As far as I know, there aren't any Amiga keyboards that don't have the frame and membrane.)

C64 users have been spoiled for years/decades recently with crazy good quality new games while the Amiga classic just withered away. The only releases for Amiga were quite embarrassing. That is changing now with some quality programmers returning and making some impressive games.

Amiga arcade ports back in the day were an adventure, with a seeming majority of them being underwhelming. Some were just plain terrible. The Double Dragon port was one example of a terrible port. We're finally getting to see what we were missing and what the computer is capable of.

Double Dragon - Work continues to bring an Arcade quality port of Double Dragon over to the Amiga

At first glance, this looks indistinguishable from the original arcade version. It's really nice to see quality developers returning to the Amiga.

Reactions: adz
C64 users have been spoiled for years/decades recently with crazy good quality new games

The spoiling continues at absurd levels for C64 users! To me this one is a major "oh what could have been" moment. If Commodore weren't so stupid, they could have staved off bankruptcy. There was still life in the C64 in 1991. If they would have encouraged game makers to embrace expansions, mainly the own REUs (Ram Expansion Units), C64 gaming could keep pace with and in some ways surpass consoles of the time.

Here's an example of what could have been back then, but only is now many decades later.

Sonic The Hedgehog is coming to the C64 and C128 and it looks seriously cool! (REU expansion cartridge required)

In the early 90's I had the pleasure of playing the mind blowing platformer Sonic the Hedgehog on both the Sega Megadrive and Sega Master System. A game by Sega which featured a ring collecting blue hedgehog that could spin, run, jump and roll about at the fastest of speeds in a battle against the main antagonist Doctor Eggman, plus a number of other menacing enemies throughout each level. Now I'm sure many of you remember playing this fantastic game and probably still playing it to this day, but what you probably didn't know as a shocking news story, Sonic The Hedgehog has been announced as coming to the C64 and C128 as of this month (REU expansion cartridge at least 256 KB required).

Looking mighty impressive indeed in the video above, not only does the creator say that this is in celebration of Sonic's 30th Anniversary as a direct port of the SEGA Master System 8-Bit version, but it will be the first C64 made exclusively for RAM Expansion Units, feature fast and smooth scrolling, six colorful zones to play through, and finally has been announced by Mr Sid as coming this December! So yes if the game does make it before the end of the 2021, it could well be a game of the year!

This still does not hold a candle to the awesome Mean Streets on Amiga and CD32. The Amiga Vampire also has a very playable and fun version of Sonic the Hedgehog. It’s still an amazing feat that Sonic is coming to the C64. This looks better than I ever thought it could. my first computer was a C64 but I sold it when I saw the Amiga. I also had an SX-64 for years, the worlds first laptop. I wish I would have kept it.

This still does not hold a candle to the awesome Mean Streets on Amiga and CD32. The Amiga Vampire also has a very playable and fun version of Sonic the Hedgehog. It’s still an amazing feat that Sonic is coming to the C64. This looks better than I ever thought it could. my first computer was a C64 but I sold it when I saw the Amiga. I also had an SX-64 for years, the worlds first laptop. I wish I would have kept it.
The SX-64 wasn't a laptop (it's not really comfortable to put it on your lap), it was a portable. There were quite a few portables that came out earlier, for instance, the Kaypro, the Osborne and the Compaq portable.

I still have a nice little 1200 with a GVP 030 card in the baseboard, a NOS Amiga 500, and I think the MorphOS PPC Mac is in storage somewhere, too.

Late replying to this specifically. I was actually coming to post to the group as a whole, but it actually applies to your post also. I just repaired 2 CDTV remote controllers. Both had a single leaky SMD capacitor. Apparently it is problem that is know, but not widely known. There are companies out there still selling these controllers NOS (new old stock),and they sell them with a leaky cap. I only started looking and asking around since my 2 NOS ones functioned so poorly. I replaced the SMD caps with radial ones. They fit when laid down. I can share pics if anyone is interested.

It made me think though of here. It's my understanding some if not all A1200s use these exact SMD caps. You also mentioned having an Amiga 500 in storage. NOS or not, if it has a memory card there is a battery that could/will leak. Not sure which A500s were bundled with memory cards.

I was going to mention more widely to the group to simply inspect your antique computers for both leaky caps and batteries. Amiga is notorious for it, but I'm sure there are others. Capacitors aren't as notorious as Varta batteries, but in the case of at least CDTV controllers and A1200s they are.

Depending the type of PPC Mac you have, it may need looked at ilwrath.

It made me think though of here. It's my understanding some if not all A1200s use these exact SMD caps. You also mentioned having an Amiga 500 in storage. NOS or not, if it has a memory card there is a battery that could/will leak. Not sure which A500s were bundled with memory cards.

Yeah, I know I checked the memory card (if it even has one -- I don't even think mine did) for those batteries. Even back in the day the Vartas were timebombs. I've always pulled them as soon as I see them. I know them too well. I'm to the point I'll pull a coin type too, though I didn't use to years ago.

I was going to mention more widely to the group to simply inspect your antique computers for both leaky caps and batteries. Amiga is notorious for it, but I'm sure there are others. Capacitors aren't as notorious as Varta batteries, but in the case of at least CDTV controllers and A1200s they are.

Depending the type of PPC Mac you have, it may need looked at ilwrath.

I'm not concerned about the PPC Mac. It was never anything more than an experiment I scavenged. Most of it was parts grade. 10 years ago it was stuff barely worthy of being spares. I'm not even sure I still have it. I haven't seen it in a long time, come to think of it.

Back