Old Computers

Vintage electronics for trusted radiation measurements and verified dismantlement of nuclear weapons

Information barriers are trusted measurement systems to confirm the authenticity of nuclear warheads based on their radiation signatures. Traditional inspection systems rely on complex electronics both for data acquisition and processing. Several research efforts have produced prototype systems, but it has proven difficult to demonstrate that hidden switches and side channels do not exist. After almost thirty years of research and development, no viable and widely accepted system has emerged. We pursue a fundamentally different approach: Our prototype of an inspection system uses vintage hardware built around a 6502 processor. The processor uses 8-micron technology and has only about 4,200 transistors. Vintage electronics may have a number of important advantages for applications where two parties need to simultaneously establish trust in the hardware used. CPUs designed in the distant past, at a time when their use for sensitive measurements was never envisioned, drastically reduce concerns that the other party implemented backdoors or hidden switches on the hardware level. We demonstrate the performance of a prototype system using an Apple IIe and a custom-made open-source data-processing board connected to a standard sodiumiodide radiation detector for low-resolution gamma spectroscopy. Data processing and analysis is exclusively done on the Apple IIe hardware...

This seemed like a reasonable thread for this article on the history of C:
“A damn stupid thing to do”—the origins of C
Today, C may be a lingua franca among programmers. This is its (abridged) history.

RICHARD JENSEN - Yesterday at undefined

As hard as it may be to believe, C was not simply born in wellworn paperback form.

Enlarge / As hard as it may be to believe, C was not simply born in wellworn paperback form.

Reactions: adz
It looks like the brand new Vampire V4 is reviving the Amiga market. I have one myself and it's a kick-ass system.

It looks like the brand new Vampire V4 is reviving the Amiga market. I have one myself and it's a kick-ass system.
Tempting - but how to hide it from the wife? And how to find the time to play with it? Interesting looking kit.

It's berry berry small, you can hide it from her.

It's berry berry small, you can hide it from her.

Six hundred quid is a wee bit beyond what I could justify.

You pay to play, it cost about the price of an A500 but with loads more features.

You pay to play, it cost about the price of an A500 but with loads more features.
Is there a decent, detailed review anywhere? I'm almost certainly not going to buy one but would be interested in reading more about it.
-edit-
Watching this in the meantime:

Lots of Vampire V4 reviews on YouTube.

I have a Vampire 500 v2 in my A500. It will be moved over to my semi-recent A2000 purchase soon. I only paid something like $360 (no VAT living in the US) all in for my v2. I was doubly disappointed in the v4 release.

1) The enormous markup over earlier v2 models. Increase I get for bigger FPGA, but not nearly doubling price.
2) The v4 Standalone is now being said to be the ONLY v4 model they will make. Meaning, no plug in V4 models for classic Amigas.

I love my v2 500. It really is a great product, but I will be staying with the v2 in my 2000. I am absolutely saturated with all things "Amiga" these days. The v4 standalone would be redundant to me. I suppose someone who has been away from the platform and starting from zero it might be attractive, considering they can afford and justify the high entrance cost.

If you are looking for something similar at about half the price there are options. There's the Turbo Chameleon with docking station for stand alone use. Over the last ~1.5 year it's Minimig core has taken huge leaps and bounds. It's probably the nicest Minimig implantation out there currently. Turbo Chameleon can also run other cores, most notably being the C64 core. Then there is the MISTer which looks just crazy good these days for it's amazing number for available cores. It runs a similar Minimig core to the Turbo Chameleon (some same developers), but also has far more cores such as tons of arcade cores. Even owning a Turbo Chameleon I am tempted to get a MISTer for the many arcade cores.

The Minimig on the Turbo Chamelon does not have the raw speed of the so called 080 cpu in FPGA. It runs as an 020 at about 80Mhz. That is plenty enough for gaming. It has about all the features you could want for WHDLoad or otherwise.

Classic Amigas while awesome are getting really old and it can be difficult to get replacement custom chips. Thus, I understand the focus on the V4 version of the Vampire by its developers. It's a very faaaaast Amiga clone to me, even though I already have the high-end Amiga x5000 I was still very impressed by the stand-alone Vampire. So small yet so very powerful for an Amiga clone. The appeal of the Vampire is creating new software and games for it. And it contains no lead which many computers from the 1980s & 1990s have. I've heard good things about the MISTer but have not tried one personally.

You know, I kinda get that, but yet, I could easily enough justify spending $600 on a toy like that, if I wanted to. I've certainly spent more on toys. If I could pick up a GeForce RTX 3080 for list (around $700-800) I'd do it without blinking. I'd buy an XBox Series X at list, without thinking, too. Though, honestly, that's probably more for my son than me, at this point.

But I've been wrestling with this for a while. I think the real fact of the matter is I don't actually want to justify another Amiga. At $600, it feels like it should be something I'd want to actually boot more than once a year. And yet, I just can't think of a single reason why I'd ever boot it other than a nostalgia kick. And I still have a few Amigas and Amiga-ish machines... I seem to just have them, because I have them. I couldn't tell you the last time any of them were actually on, let alone doing something.

In the late 80's and early 90's, the Amiga and AmigaOS had a lot of compelling reasons to use it. I truly struggle to find any in 2021, though. Sure, I could do some development on it... But why? I never exactly a great developer, and I never found the Amiga as a particularly pleasant development environment. And nowadays, there's what, maybe a couple thousand people who even have the equipment to see your work?

I don't mean this to be a downer. I've thought about deleting this response entirely (and in fact have deleted this response twice, already) but I just don't quite get it. What's the compelling reason? Maybe there isn't one? And people just buy it because they want it. I couldn't blame them. I guess it's just not me, anymore. I'm not sure if I'm sad about that.

@ilwrath

Totally understandable, you shouldn't buy something you might only use once per year. I enjoyed reading your perspective on the matter. If you ever want to sell off those Amigas please let me know. I still maintain Open Video Toaster and sometimes need different Amiga configs to test this open-source software on.

@ilwrath

Totally understandable, you shouldn't buy something you might only use once per year. I enjoyed reading your perspective on the matter. If you ever want to sell off those Amigas please let me know. I still maintain Open Video Toaster and sometimes need different Amiga configs to test this open-source software on.

You're about a decade too late on that one. I sold the majority of my Amigas back in 2009 or so. I still have a nice little 1200 with a GVP 030 card in the baseboard, a NOS Amiga 500, and I think the MorphOS PPC Mac is in storage somewhere, too. And there might be one or two others tucked away in a box in the basement that I'm forgetting. I know there's a few C64s and parts, as well as the SX64 that I'll fix "when I have time." Which, a good two decades after I bought it, I still haven't made time... It wouldn't surprise me if I pulled an A500 out of one of those boxes, too. But the really unusual stuff I had is all long gone.

Wow, that's a lot of Amigas and even a MorphOS rig for someone no longer into Amigas, LOL. I understand the desire to keep them. I hope you had them recapped. What unusual Amiga stuff did you get rid of?

Wow, that's a lot of Amigas and even a MorphOS rig for someone no longer into Amigas, LOL. I understand the desire to keep them. I hope you had them recapped. What unusual Amiga stuff did you get rid of?
I still have a Pegasos 1 and an A1XE, as well as an old iBook I've been meaning to stick Morphos on. Haven't used them for at least 6 months. Gave all my original Amigas and peripherals away to the local user group a couple of years ago to free up space as I hadn't used them for years.
Never can find the time even for my main hobby (music) so have no idea when I'll get back to the Amiga stuff but I retain a weird emotional attachment to it. It was a real wrench giving most of my gear away.

Sad to hear you had to give away most of your Amiga gear. If music is your main hobby have you created some cool songs? My old iBook runs MorphOS really well.

Sad to hear you had to give away most of your Amiga gear.
Aye, t'was a sad day.
If music is your main hobby have you created some cool songs?
Well, I've created a bunch of songs, and been involved in the creation of a whole lot more. Whether any of them are cool is another thing entirely. :drumroll:

Aye, t'was a sad day.

Well, I've created a bunch of songs, and been involved in the creation of a whole lot more. Whether any of them are cool is another thing entirely. :drumroll:
Feel free to PM me a link, I like most music especially the synth or techno stuff that many musicians used to create on the Amiga. I don't mind buying your music if it's for sale somewhere online.

Feel free to PM me a link, I like most music especially the synth or techno stuff that many musicians used to create on the Amiga. I don't mind buying your music if it's for sale somewhere online.
That's very kind, thank you, but it's free to listen to via Spotify and Youtube (and a few other places). If you click the link in my sig, there are a bunch of songs on Spotify from my band. A few of those were produced on the Amiga, especially the majority of this album.
There are also some solo efforts here, here and here.
Here's the Youtube link.

Reactions: adz
Back