#notmywar

Indeed, the Awakening versus the Woke is a tragic-comedic metaphor for contemporary Western civilisation.

Also an accurate one, feels like it's all going to shit and I don't mean in the Ukraine.

even IF there is "corruption" in Ukraine (and this guy gives zero evidence), how does that justify invasion and killing civilians?
Right now there are thousands of children, mothers and families trying to escape by train, car, walking. This isn't exactly "pro-life".

putin doesn't give a rat's behind about anyone but himself. He's not invading another country because he cares about "corruption"

I can't feel anything but numbness these days, for the past 20 years the US has been stomping its boots all over the Middle East resulting in the same. Putin, like the US, has one thing in mind, natural resources.

Put here or National Embarrassment thread? I guess here.

From 'The State Of The Onion" last night.

• Haha
Reactions: adz

Moscow man buys newspaper, glances at front page, throws it straight out. Next day: same again. And again. Eventually, seller snaps. "Why DO you do that?" "Oh, I'm just checking for an obituary" "But obituaries aren't even on the front page!" "Oh, the one I'm looking for will be"

People in the Donbass have lived under Ukrainian shelling for 8 years. Not saying anyone's suffering is less or more - but our governments (which include our media) have no problem turning a blind eye to that, and to the bombing of Yemen where true ongoing horrors are occurring. For all their talk of diversity, equity and inclusion, the government is still happy to weep for the white people and ignore the brown ones.

A different perspective
Scott Horton:
"The Americans preferred the war happened" isn't really that much of a stretch.
Hillary being the hubristic, ignorant poster child for US imperialism? Well, yes, we all knew that already, didn't we?
Russia has ~6000 nukes and we shouldn't fight them? Yup, no argument there.
America helped overthrow the democratically elected government in 2014 - check.
Etc, etc.

None of this is in dispute for me. Overall, he gave a pretty reasonable* summary of how we got to this point but it doesn't do anything to diminish how much of a war-mongering, murderous scumbag Putin is. It's possible to acknowledge all of the above and still be disgusted by what Russia is currently doing.

*with the caveat that his piece about "US presidents would be flinging nukes about" is a bit too speculative for my tastes.

None of this is in dispute for me. Overall, he gave a pretty reasonable* summary of how we got to this point but it doesn't do anything to diminish how much of a war-mongering, murderous scumbag Putin is. It's possible to acknowledge all of the above and still be disgusted by what Russia is currently doing.
By way of an insufficient analogy - it's like some guy who has a dog and abuses it until it mauls a neighbour's toddler. Chances are the dog will have to be put down - but you also have to stop that guy getting his hands on another puppy. There's an unaddressed root cause.

By way of an insufficient analogy - it's like some guy who has a dog and abuses it until it mauls a neighbour's toddler. Chances are the dog will have to be put down - but you also have to stop that guy getting his hands on another puppy. There's an unaddressed root cause.
I don't disagree but if the dog is currently in the process of mauling the toddler, you might give your priorities a once over.

Interesting, if rather niche but apparently invasion-related story on Krebs site (quite a long read but part 2 is here if you're still interested):

Conti Ransomware Group Diaries, Part I: Evasion

20 Comments

A Ukrainian security researcher this week leaked several years of internal chat logs and other sensitive data tied to Conti, an aggressive and ruthless Russian cybercrime group that focuses on deploying its ransomware to companies with more than $100 million in annual revenue. The chat logs offer a fascinating glimpse into the challenges of running a sprawling criminal enterprise with more than 100 salaried employees. The records also provide insight into how Conti has dealt with its own internal breaches and attacks from private security firms and foreign governments.
conti-ukraine.png

Conti’s threatening message this week regarding international interference in Ukraine.
Conti makes international news headlines each week when it publishes to its dark web blog new information stolen from ransomware victims who refuse to pay an extortion demand. In response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Conti published a statement announcing its “full support.”
“If anybody will decide to organize a cyberattack or any war activities against Russia, we are going to use all our possible resources to strike back at the critical infrastructures of an enemy,” the Conti blog post read.
On Sunday, Feb. 27, a new Twitter account “Contileaks” posted links to an archive of chat messages taken from Conti’s private communications infrastructure, dating from January 29, 2021 to the present day. Shouting “Glory for Ukraine,” the Contileaks account has since published additional Conti employee conversations from June 22, 2020 to Nov. 16, 2020.

Last edited:

Europe's largest nuclear plant shelled in Ukraine

Security camera footage from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant appears to show a fire at the facility.
According to Mayor Dmytro Orlov of nearby Enerhodar, "continuous enemy shelling of [the plant's] buildings and units" seemed to cause a fire at the nuclear station, which is the largest in Europe.
1646385287294.jpeg

No way to verify which side is doing the propaganda in this instance but seems plausible enough:

Ukraine war: 'My city's being shelled, but mum won’t believe me'​

Oleksandra sheltering with her dogs in her flat's bathroom in Kharkiv

Oleksandra and her four rescue dogs have been sheltering in the bathroom of her flat in Kharkiv since the shelling began.
"When I heard the first explosions, I ran out of the house to get my dogs from their enclosures outside. People were panicking, abandoning their cars. I was so scared," she says.
The 25-year-old has been speaking regularly to her mother, who lives in Moscow. But in these conversations, and even after sending videos from her heavily bombarded hometown, Oleksandra is unable to convince her mother about the danger she is in.
"I didn't want to scare my parents, but I started telling them directly that civilians and children are dying," she says.
"But even though they worry about me, they still say it probably happens only by accident, that the Russian army would never target civilians."

Rest of article here.

Russia Blocks Facebook

Russia on Friday blocked Facebook and moved to impose harsh jail terms for publishing “fake news” about the army as part of efforts to muffle dissent over Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

Social media staple Facebook was blocked over several instances of “discrimination” of Russian state media, media regulator Roskomnadzor said.

Earlier in the day, Russian lawmakers backed legislation that would impose harsh jail terms and fines for publishing “fake news”.

Russia’s lower house said in a statement that if fake news stories “led to serious consequences, (the legislation) threatens imprisonment of up to 15 years”.

Amendments were also passed to fine or jail people calling for sanctions against Russia.

The BBC, which has a large bureau in Moscow and runs a Russian-language news website, reacted by announcing a halt of its operations in Russia.

“This legislation appears to criminalise the process of independent journalism,” BBC Director-General Tim Davie said in a statement.

He warned that journalists could face “the risk of criminal prosecution simply for doing their jobs”.

Two Russian outlets, Nobel Prize-winning newspaper Novaya Gazeta and business news website The Bell, said Friday they will stop reporting on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to protect their journalists.

The past year has seen an unprecedented crackdown on independent and critical voices in Russia that has intensified since the invasion.

Russia’s media watchdog said Friday it had restricted access to the BBC and other independent media websites, further tightening controls over the internet.

Foreign media restricted

The independent news website Meduza, German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, and the Russian-language website of the US-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Svoboda, were “limited,” said Roskomnadzor, following a request from prosecutors.

Back