I can't believe the news today...

I'm not saying it's completely false. His Mother Apparently DID file papers for his future care.
And It's obvious even now that he was angry at his mother (derp)

I just want more facts before I reach a conclusion. It's the way I was trained.

yesterday when I read this on other sites the 1st thing I did was look to see where it had been reported. At THAT time, all sources lead to fox....Nothing from AP or other sources. THAT made me suspicious. Today, tomorrow and a month from now may be different, but yesterday my scepticism was tweaked

yeah and coupled with the minister father's denial of his sons claim i can certainly understand your reticence when faux news is providing the details... but the four gunshots rang out to me as soooo indicative of a familial hatred type situation that the article seemed entirely plausible... when the court says they cant release transcripts it typically means something exists, but prvacy concerns supersede. wonder if theyll be examining that...

well, here's another "rumor" flying around and I offer it up here to show that people talk about this stuff with virtually no facts. I heard this on the radio so it's already OUT there (before somebody accuses me of spreading lies) :D :

Was he taking medication?? Jay Thomas on his show this morning was wondering why some of the violent shootings he happens to know of may be related to people taking certain medications......I just woke up so if he mentioned an actual drug I may have missed it.

this is all nothing....an autopsy has to be done on the shooter, a medical history has to be documented, as well as as exact a definition of this kids' mental condition.

we know very little. I agree with you about his anger at his mother but it's part of the picture. It will take time to put this puzzle together.

I read yesterday that he wasn't on any medication. But who knows.

Btw, the kookiest thing I read was that some pro-gun whack jobs have openly accused the attack to be a false flag operation designed to scare the public into passing sensible gun control measures. And the amazing thing is, they seem to actually believe it. They're actually worse than those 9-11 conspiracy idiots.

What Was DHS Doing In Sandy Hook? False Flag Two Years In The Making Or Department Of Homeland Security Fail?

So we have this name, “Sandy Hook” and it’s asking about the cryptic meaning. We just had hurricane Sandy that assured Obama won. Sandy Hook is on the map in the Batman The Dark Knight Rises! It’s the only thing you can read on the map and he points right at it. I know, it’s just another coincidence right?

It's actually hard to believe there are people this dumb that can operate a computer. What worries me more, as that people this dumb own guns! Now that really is scary - and a good argument for gun control all on it's own.

Anyway, they even go so far as to say the parents of the victims are just actors. Quite despicable if you ask me, but it's exactly the same type of bullshit tactics the 9-11 conspiracy theorists used:

So it's been nothing but peace and good behavior since the Newtown massacre, right? Well, not really. Since that horrible event, there have been 78 other horrible events since then. One recent gun victim was just 3 years old. Another 14. It just never ends.

How Many People Have Been Killed by Guns Since Newtown?

911 actually WAS a conspiracy.
Sorry. I thought it was kinda obvious that I meant conspiracy theories other than the al-Qaeda guys who actually planned and executed it, but I guess not.

I saw that stupid "press conference" by that NRA asshole. wow, what a jackass.

everyone who is a member of NRA should insist on this guy's removal from the organization. He makes the whole lot of gun owners sound as if they are insane. And I know many aren't.

Well, it seems I was right. There was another spree shooting in the US before Christmas.

The Latest Mass Shooting Occurred While NRA Officials Were Prepping To Go On Stage

But it's too soon to talk about gun control now. We gotta wait until the next spree shooting. And then wait for the one after that. And then maybe the one after that just to be sure.

oh hell no... we aint done.... we want an easy fix...easier to blame the tool than confront or educate the workman... and we'll be having us lots more of that please... it absolves us from rearing our children... :confused:

"You only care because they were vanilla children"

Schools are gun free zones, by federal (1995 gun free schools act) state and local law.
President Obama’s hometown of Chicago is a gun free zone

since 2008, 110 children (age 0-15) have been murdered in Chicago's gun free zone

Chicago’s murder rate has “unexpectedly” increased by 30% at a time when the national murder rate has been dropping

gunsmakeuslesssafe-600x357.png

Dec 17: Clackamas mall shooter faced man with concealed weapon
'
After a shooting spree, taking guns away from the law abiding people doesn't help prevent future occurrences.

What is needed are strong laws for involuntary commitment of the violently mentally ill

This is more about gun safety than about gun control, but it still demonstrates the power of the gun lobby and how even basic safety regulations do not apply to firearms the same way they apply to pretty much everything else. Wonder what ltstanfo has to say about this.

We Have the Technology To Make Safer Guns
Hello Mike,

The funerals are over and while the police report is not yet final (or released) I think we have enough preliminary information to discuss this topic. I will create a new thread for such a purpose.

To answer your specific questions above, my specific responses are:

1. Gun safety involves several things... it certainly can include the design of a firearm but it also requires competency on the part of the owner / shooter. With regards to the design, there are several modern (meaning 15 years older or newer) designs that try to reduce the "idiot factor" of the user by purposely misaligning the firing pin / striker mechanism unless the trigger is purposely pulled to fire a round. Still, a modern design can only do so much.

2. Smart gun technology, while quite interesting (to me) is not yet ready for "prime time". Until the technology is essentially 100% effective, no one who believes that their life may depend on a weapon will ever buy one.. myself included. Your link to smart gun tech is known to me. The various types of tech have been around for 20+ years in various forms and if I recall correctly, I previously discussed this very topic back in AO's Coffee House in the late 90's or early 2000's. Let me add another link to yours, to give the other side of the argument:

http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/smart-gun/

If there is a 10% chance that a weapon I draw in self defense won't work then that is a weapon I will not buy.

And finally, with regards to the tragic accident where the father shot and ultimately killed his child, he was clearly at fault. Anyone who takes a firearms safety course will know that this incident could have and should have been prevented... period. He violated at least two and likely all three rules of gun safety:

1. Always treat the gun as if it is loaded and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.
2. NEVER put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot the weapon!
3. Always keep the firearm UNLOADED until ready to use. As an addendum to rule 3, if you carry concealed see 1 and 2 above. Carrying concealed is the assumption of increased risk, therefore increased diligence is needed.

I argue that guns do not just "go off by themselves". It takes some kind of external stimuli to result in the discharge of a firearm. If the weapon isn't charged (loading round into chamber... rule #3) it cannot go off. A gun sitting on a table, chair, console, etc... will not go off by itself. The user had to create a scenario where the weapon was primed to fire (ie weapon loaded). Also, what is the mechanical condition of the firearm? Like any other mechanical device, a part of a firearm can fail / break (usually due to brittle metal or excessive wear from shooting high power ammo in a weapon not designed for such).

I cannot imagine what that poor father must feel like, realizing that the entire incident should not have occurred. I do have to ask, why did he point it at his child? Why was the weapon still loaded? He apparently did remove the magazine but didn't think to rack the slide to look for a round in the chamber? Again, basic firearms safety.

Enough on this one. Moving to new thread for future discussions.

Regards,
ltstanfo

See, the thing is, and I know this is going to sound callous, but I've become somewhat neutered regarding this type of incident.
From my side of the pond, every now and again you hear something along the lines of: "America was shocked today as a young man slaughtered his entire high-school class with a hand gun"

I was away from any news source for all of yesterday so have only just heard about the latest "big news" shooting.

Same old, same old.....

I was away from any news source for all of yesterday so have only just heard about the latest "big news" shooting.

Same old, same old.....
they are talking about "the suspect" now and his PTSD.
aside from keeping guns away from people with mental illness this society has to take mental illness seriously and stop just throwing people away

they are talking about "the suspect" now and his PTSD.
aside from keeping guns away from people with mental illness this society has to take mental illness seriously and stop just throwing people away

right?

Back