Hi all!

Cyberus

New User
Reaction score
Hello

I'm so glad I remembered this place existed!

I have returned to the Amiga 'scene' after several years, and without wanting to get on too much of a downer, I've made these observations:

AOrg is a shadow of its former self and seems to have turned into 'Trevor's cult of personality'. Even the most enduring members such as Karlos seem to have vanished. We never had it so good when Wayne was webmaster. I will always remember the time I used A.Org in the early 00s, full of intelligent people, lively debate and Amigans from all over the world (one of the things for me that really made it so great was the good mix of Americans, Canadians, Europeans and Australians, etc).

The Amiga scene itself seems to be just as full of infighting as ever it was, and now it seems the rip-off merchants have come to the fore on ebay selling copies of Shadow of the Beast for £500. Have people taken leave of their senses? It seems Amibay seems like a good place to buy hardware, although I have read some criticisms that all the stuff is 'picked clean' by the moderators and a guy called Fitzsteve, and that they read your PMs? Is this really what the Amiga community has come to? Its a wonder anyone is still part of the community, oh wait....

Anyway, so glad to see some familiar faces here, and look forward to connecting with some of you I haven't spoken to in 10+ years.

Regards
Cyberus

Good morning, and welcome!

Strangely, we get so many spambot registrations, there was simply something familiar about your username, so I took a chance, and you're here!

The others will chime in I'm sure when they wake up.

As for the Amiga community, or at least Amiga.org, one of Bill's big tenets when they bought it was that they didn't want anything to change. I just didn't realize that he meant they NEVER want anything to change. At least I kept screwing people up by rebranding about once a year eh? :)

Anyway, it's early. I desperately need caffeine. Just wanted to say "hi".

Wayne

Wayne, thanks for the add, so great to speak to you again! I think I had already stopped posting when you sold A.Org, so not really sure about what happened there, but have spent some time reading some old posts, etc. Looking back, I now realise that Amiga.org had such a great bunch of people who kept me coming back on a daily basis (well, that and a bit of fixation with obsolete hardware).

I've read back / remembered some of the old posts, the days of DoomMaster and the JonoPike trolls and I really do wonder how/why you kept the motivation to carry on with Amiga.org for so long, I really do. What are you up to these days?

Anyway,I look forward to speaking to some old friends here!

I don't know that it was motivation, so much as it was the steadfast refusal to just close it and walk away from the community after putting so much work into it over the years.

As for me, after the American job market went to shit, I ended up bouncing around the country for a few years and finally ended up settling near DC, working for the government. Like my job. Like the co-workers. Absolutely loathe the state of Northern Virginia (which is entirely different from the state of Virginia -- mostly the southern half -- in almost every way).

I also got kinda bored with web sites in general, so I putter around here talking to old friends and rabidly debating politics. We have a few diehard liberals and a lot of rabid conservatives to keep it lively (and apparently run off most new posters)... :)

Wayne

Cyberus, speaking of which, if you know anyone left over there looking for refuge, let them know about the spambot issue over here and that they should reach out directly (or put a note in their profile saying "hey, it's me". and I'll add them right in...

Wayne

I don't know that it was motivation, so much as it was the steadfast refusal to just close it and walk away from the community after putting so much work into it over the years.

I know that feeling too well. In my case I'd call it stubbornness. And for my part it has caused me trouble on a number of occasions, looking back now. Its a tough call sometimes to know whether I'm sticking with something for the right reasons or sheer bloody-mindedness. This year my dogged continuation of work, commuting, buying an apartment / flat, a long distance relationship and studying all at the same time nearly killed me :(.

As for me, after the American job market went to shit, I ended up bouncing around the country for a few years and finally ended up settling near DC, working for the government. Like my job. Like the co-workers. Absolutely loathe the state of Northern Virginia (which is entirely different from the state of Virginia -- mostly the southern half -- in almost every way).

Glad you like your job and co-workers, not everyone can say that. I have learned to my cost the importance of happiness over wealth (although money is important). I guess you're still doing something computer related?

I also got kinda bored with web sites in general, so I putter around here talking to old friends and rabidly debating politics. We have a few diehard liberals and a lot of rabid conservatives to keep it lively (and apparently run off most new posters)... :)

Just like the old days, eh? I really enjoyed having discussions in the DMZ with people I didn't always agree with - the conversations were often intelligent, but for the most part civilised. In fact, you learn a lot more from speaking to people who don't agree with you, and it 's healthy to actively challenge your views, there may be angles you haven't considered, arguments you haven't pursued, etc.

This is another reason why I valued the international angle. Even with the advent of 'social media', most of the people I tend to interact with are people from my own part of the UK, and this can restrict the range of perspectives about current affairs, etc.

Hey Cyberus, welcome back.

Hi, it's Wilse isn't it! How are you doing? I just followed the link and am listening to your band in the background as I type :)
Indeed it is and I'd completely forgotten that link was still there - thanks. (Should really think about updating the site as we have a gig on Sunday....)

Speel! It's great that you are here!
How are you?
I'm doing very well, finished my study a couple of years ago and having a fulltime job ever since.
So I don't have much time on my hand anymore, nor for some midnight drunk blustering either.

Can't complain mate - no bugger would listen lol!

How are you doing?

Heh, yeah I'm okay. living in the Midlands, gone through a bit of a rough patch - never believed stress existed till I suffered from it!

I'm doing very well, finished my study a couple of years ago and having a fulltime job ever since.
So I don't have much time on my hand anymore, nor for some midnight drunk blustering either.

I spent a lot of time on AO about 12 years ago but then I got a career and A relationship, and other interests. I remember those days of drunken blustering fondly Eyso!

Hey Cecilia, nice to see you here too! Hope all is well?
yes, things are ok.....family is doing reasonable well considering how the stupid wars have ruined the economy....but that's happened several times in my lifetime so, it's nothing new.

my family in Europe is doing fine: my cousin who-knows-how-many-times-removed is starting kindergarten. I guess he's about 2 and a half or 3 - I forget.
really adorable

Back