Georgia, the Olympics, the US armada and Iran

Glaucus said:
It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

I'm of the normal opinion of "why is this any of our (The US') bleeping business?"

Glaucus said:
It'll be interesting to see if the US decided to draw a line in the sand here, or will Georgia be sacrificed to the Russians?

I'm of the normal opinion of "why is this any of our (The US') bleeping business?"

Glaucus said:

Glaucus said:

Glaucus said:

- Mike

I'm not sure how you mean. There will probably still be a Georgia but the question is will it be a US puppet state or a Russian puppet state. It was Russian until 1991 so it wouldn't be so much a sacrifice as a back slide. If they had played nice with Russia I'm sure they'd have been given a fair bit of autonomy just for appearances (because it's impolitic to invade places when you don't actually need to). However, they had put their eggs in the US basket and Russia could allow that just as much as the US could allow Russia in Cuba.

As to whether the CIA were surprised, do you mean in the size of the response or the timing of the Georgian action? Do you think the Georgians were acting on their own and hoping the Russians wouldn't notice or believing that the US would back them up? Or were the Georgians acting under US say so. Seems there is quite a lot of US involvement in the military buildup in Georgia and reports (unconfirmed) of US dead and US captured military and mercenary in Georgia.

Glaucus said:

- Mike

I'm not sure how you mean. There will probably still be a Georgia but the question is will it be a US puppet state or a Russian puppet state. It was Russian until 1991 so it wouldn't be so much a sacrifice as a back slide. If they had played nice with Russia I'm sure they'd have been given a fair bit of autonomy just for appearances (because it's impolitic to invade places when you don't actually need to). However, they had put their eggs in the US basket and Russia could allow that just as much as the US could allow Russia in Cuba.

As to whether the CIA were surprised, do you mean in the size of the response or the timing of the Georgian action? Do you think the Georgians were acting on their own and hoping the Russians wouldn't notice or believing that the US would back them up? Or were the Georgians acting under US say so. Seems there is quite a lot of US involvement in the military buildup in Georgia and reports (unconfirmed) of US dead and US captured military and mercenary in Georgia.

Glaucus said:

- Mike

Glaucus said:

- Mike

Glaucus said:

- Mike

Glaucus said:

- Mike

FluffyMcDeath said:
Many here don't like to think that the US plays any geopolitical games to control access to and control over commodities. Would those people feel that the accusation would carry weightif Russia was doing it?

Meanwhile the US has flown 800 Georgians back home from Iraq and are sending weapons too!

That weapons report hasn't appeared anywhere else. As the Russians have been attacking journalists, the fog of war is thicker than usual. The Georgia PR machine seems to be doing a rather better job than the Russians.

I think the US response has been extremely muted. They've even said that Russia shouldn't be attacking Georgia-proper, implying that the Russian action in South Ossetia and Abkhazia is ok.

Georgia voluntarily pulled its troops out of South Ossetia, seemingly because of pressure from the Americans.

There is the entirely token UN vote which the US has initiated, which will be vetoed by Russia and China, that will do nothing but provide more evidence of the pointlessness of the UN.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with the Georgian-proper territory that the Russians have (apparently) occupied. If Russia gets away with this, and I think they will, the next place on their shopping list will be Ukraine. Most countries in Europe should be extremely alarmed.

FluffyMcDeath said:
Many here don't like to think that the US plays any geopolitical games to control access to and control over commodities. Would those people feel that the accusation would carry weightif Russia was doing it?

Meanwhile the US has flown 800 Georgians back home from Iraq and are sending weapons too!

That weapons report hasn't appeared anywhere else. As the Russians have been attacking journalists, the fog of war is thicker than usual. The Georgia PR machine seems to be doing a rather better job than the Russians.

I think the US response has been extremely muted. They've even said that Russia shouldn't be attacking Georgia-proper, implying that the Russian action in South Ossetia and Abkhazia is ok.

Georgia voluntarily pulled its troops out of South Ossetia, seemingly because of pressure from the Americans.

There is the entirely token UN vote which the US has initiated, which will be vetoed by Russia and China, that will do nothing but provide more evidence of the pointlessness of the UN.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with the Georgian-proper territory that the Russians have (apparently) occupied. If Russia gets away with this, and I think they will, the next place on their shopping list will be Ukraine. Most countries in Europe should be extremely alarmed.

FluffyMcDeath said:

FluffyMcDeath said:

Back