Fake News

There will come a time, probably within the next 5 years, where the naked eye cannot discern. 10-12 years? Forensic pros will struggle. When they get voice duplication down? I don't even want to imagine.

When that time comes I think most people will probably adjust to not trusting video footage as a general rule unless certified from a source they trust.
Of course, this means it will be open to abuse in much the same way "fake news" is today. And we'll probably have to spend just as much time chastising the more gullible of our friends for circulating fake video as though it's real as we've recently had to with fake news stories.

Anyway, here's some more stuff of a similar ilk:
There's a scarily good 'deepfakes' YouTube channel that's quietly growing – and it's freaking everyone out

When that time comes I think most people will probably adjust to not trusting video footage as a general rule unless certified from a source they trust.

You mean like CNN and MSNBC? To this day there is a large segment of the US public who believes Donald Trump is a Russian Agent. For roughly 2.5 years the "Trump is a Russian Agent" narrative was nearly 24/7/365. Most of what they "reported" during this time was from "unnamed sources".

Their entire existence has been to try to destroy the president. Now imagine these same media organizations with the technology to doctor videos? They would be in position to push any narrative they want, and a large part of the country will accept it no matter what. Remember the whole Jussie Smollet hate crime hoax? Remember how joyful these outlets were pushing the (laughable) narrative? They didn't care the truth as long as it made Trump supporters look like cartoon villains. Fringe "civil rights leaders" were openly calling for an all out race war before the Chicago Police revealed the truth. Now imagine a deep fake showing a couple of MAGA hat wearing white guys beating him up? These outlets would absolutely not question the validity. It would be open season on whitey.

Donald Trump Rips ‘Washed Up Psycho’ Bette Midler for Fabricated Quote

Midler shared a popular fake quote falsely attributed to Trump to her followers on Twitter.

“If I were to run, I’d run as a Republican. They’re the dumbest group of voters in the country. They believe anything on Fox News. I could lie and they’d still eat it up. I bet my numbers would be terrific,” read the fake quote by Trump attributed to People magazine.

But that quote has been widely debunked including by left-wing fact-checkers.

After receiving a flood of mockery, Midler deleted her original tweet and acknowledged that the quote “turns out to be a fake.”

“Don’t know how I missed it, but it sounds SO much like him that I believed it was true!” she wrote.

Now this is funny.

Rachel Maddow Gets Blacklisted

2xiakq-2-300x215.jpg

The New York Times had reportedly blocked its reporters from appearing on “Maddow” because the program is too partisan, with one insider from the Grey Lady’s newsroom agreeing, telling Fox News “it rubs off” on any journalist who is too closely aligned to the far left.

More Fake News that you will never hear a correction on.

OOPS: Maddow’s Favorite “Russian Connection” Turns Out To Be…

While the likes of Maddow will never adjust their beliefs to evidence, it is amusing to revisit just how wrong many of her “bombshells” were. One man she devoted a large chunk of her show to on June 8th of last year was Konstantin Kilimnik, a man she saw as central to Paul Manafort’s guilt. “Today the case marked United States of America versus Paul J. Manafort Jr., became United States of America versus Paul J. Manafort Jr. and Konstantin Kilimnik” she opined, trying to connect the two as proof of Russian collusion.

She further explained that “now that Manafort is charged in a joint indictment alongside Russian citizen Konstantin Kilimnik, this prosecution and the investigation that goes along with it could no longer be stopped simply by Trump pardoning Manafort. To stop this part of the investigation, Trump would also have to pardon Konstantin Kilimnik, Russian citizen, a Russian intelligence operative. And I know Trump`s willing to push the envelope, but that seems unlikely.”

Now Kilimnik’s name it popping up again – but not in the way that Maddow and company would expect. According to The Hill’s John Solomon:

In a key finding of the Mueller report, Ukrainian businessman Konstantin Kilimnik, who worked for Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, is tied to Russian intelligence.

But hundreds of pages of government documents — which special counsel Robert Mueller possessed since 2018 — describe Kilimnik as a “sensitive” intelligence source for the U.S. State Department who informed on Ukrainian and Russian matters

Kilimnik’s past State Department ties are not mentioned in Mueller’s report despite the fact that he was a “sensitive” intelligence source for them since 2013.

Kilimnik was not just any run-of-the-mill source, either. He interacted with the chief political officer at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, sometimes meeting several times a week to provide information on the Ukraine government. He relayed messages back to Ukraine’s leaders and delivered written reports to U.S. officials via emails that stretched on for thousands of words, the memos show. The FBI knew all of this, well before the Mueller investigation concluded.Alan Purcell, the chief political officer at the Kiev embassy from 2014 to 2017, told FBI agents that State officials, including senior embassy officials Alexander Kasanof and Eric Schultz, deemed Kilimnik to be such a valuable asset that they kept his name out of cables for fear he would be compromised by leaks to WikiLeaks.

Some of the information that Kilimnik provided the State Department included intel on Ukraine’s opposition bloc.

Watch: Anderson Cooper Abruptly Goes to Commercial After Trump Accuser E. Jean Carroll Says ‘People Think of Rape as Being Sexy’

So this one incident, this one, what, three minutes in this little dressing room, I just say it’s a fight. That way I’m not the victim, right? I’m not the victim.”

“You don’t feel like a victim?” Cooper replied.

“I was not thrown on the ground and ravished, which the word rape carries so many sexual connotations,” she said. “This was not sexual. It just – it hurt.”

“I think most people think of rape as a violent assault,” Cooper said.

“I think most people think of rape as being sexy – think of the fantasies,” she added.

Not perfect for this thread, but here's one of the figureheads of that bastion of journalism (/sarcasm), CNN. Wow...

CNN’s April Ryan: Trump Wants to Nuke Hurricanes Because They Come From Africa, Where Black People Are

Ryan said, “This is the President of the United States saying something about that. And he brought in Africa … he’s called Africa a shit hole nation.”

She continued, “Africa is a continent. And what part of Africa are you talking about? Sub-Saharan Africa, where there are mostly black people? This is just crazy. There is a ripple effect that could happen for land, sea, for people, if he did something like this. For this man to think this. This is the leader of the free world. ”

Watch: Trump Tweets Video Of CNN Saying Alabama Was Under Threat From Dorian After CNN Said They Never Were

The media outlet has steadily maintained that Alabama was never at risk to be impacted by Dorian (“He falsely claimed that Hurricane Dorian was likely to hit Alabama.”). Trump said initially it was, although at the time he said it the threat was on the lower end of the scale.

The latest rhetorical salvo came from Trump on Friday, when he tweeted out a humorous video showing that in spite of CNN’s claim that Dorian was never expected to hit the state, CNN weather forecasters themselves initially predicted Dorian could impact Alabama:

Back