Elon Musk watch (was Elon Muskrat watch)

and The Leaving continues...

If Twitter really did demand (unconfirmed for now) $50k per month for something that was previously free, one has to assume that Twitter wanted them to leave. Which hints yet again at deliberately destroying the platform as a going concern.

If Twitter really did demand (unconfirmed for now) $50k per month for something that was previously free, one has to assume that Twitter wanted them to leave. Which hints yet again at deliberately destroying the platform as a going concern.
One would also have to wonder what twitter costs to run and how it was financing running itself. Further, if organizations are only using a thing because it is free then that is how much they value it. Clearly using twitter is of no benefit to them so why were they doing it? So many questions.

More Twitter fun. The earth is flat:

-EDIT-
I think someone has broken something again or Elon Musk is gaslighting us. My Twitter account was this morning following some "business start up" company that I've never interacted with. I've no idea how long I've been following them but guessing only today as that's when their Tweets first appeared under my "following" timeline.

Last edited:
Free speech absolutism in da house! (again)

Musk defends enabling Turkish censorship on Twitter

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (L) shakes hands with Elon Musk during a meeting in Ankara on November 8, 2017.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (L) shakes hands with Elon Musk during a meeting in Ankara on November 8, 2017.

This weekend, Twitter restricted access to some tweets in Turkey at the request of the Turkish government ahead of its next presidential election. Twitter's compliance silenced accounts that had been critical of the Turkish government, Business Insider reported. It also prompted a wave of criticism directed at Twitter CEO Elon Musk, who seemingly once again abandoned his free speech principles to comply with the Turkish government order.

He's being corrected for spreading fake news so often these days that I now just assume everything he says is utter bollox until I hear otherwise. That's a shame because I used to consider him reliable enough to take the complete opposite approach; assume what he was saying was genuine until I heard otherwise.
FxTHSoDWIAU8lZg

It's a bit like the blue tick thing. It used to be a reasonable rule of thumb that a blue tick was (a), who they claimed to be and (b), unlikely to be deliberately spreading lies. Now that's upside down too. When I see a blue tick these days I just assume it's probably bogus unless proven otherwise. That he's managed to 180 both of these ways of using Twitter in such a short period of time is kind of impressive in its own perverse way.

It's a bit like the blue tick thing. It used to be a reasonable rule of thumb that a blue tick was (a), who they claimed to be and (b), unlikely to be deliberately spreading lies. Now that's upside down too. When I see a blue tick these days I just assume it's probably bogus unless proven otherwise. That he's managed to 180 both of these ways of using Twitter in such a short period of time is kind of impressive in its own perverse way.
Blue ticks were never an indication of reliable information. All they were supposed to say is that the person whose identity was behind the account was that person in reality. It did not indicate that the person was writing their own tweets or that the tweets were a reliable source of truth. Verification was touted to be just that - the verification of identity, but it was always a status symbol and could be given to or taken away from anyone for any reason known only to those having the authority to grant or remove them, and with the social status award came the ability to reach more people both through twitter and through the traditional media.
Now verification just means that you paid, and in many ways that is a more honest and better indicator.

Blue ticks were never an indication of reliable information.
But they were a decent indication of reliable identity. The vast majority of the time, the account was who it claimed to be. That's gone now. Now you have to check previous Tweets, follower numbers, etc, to try to gauge if the claimed ID is who is actually Tweeting. Usually more hassle than it's worth.
All they were supposed to say is that the person whose identity was behind the account was that person in reality. It did not indicate that the person was writing their own tweets or that the tweets were a reliable source of truth.
It usually didn't have to. The fact that it was a reasonable indicator of true identity was enough in most instances. People who were concerned about their reputations were generally (not always) unlikely to be spreading scams or fake news. It wasn't 100% reliable but was a decent rule of thumb. Again, gone now.
Now verification just means that you paid,
Alas, not quite. Now it means you either paid or are one of the "power accounts" Elon gave free blue ticks to, completely contradicting one of his stated reasons for changing the system. If he really is doing it for the reasons he stated, he's made a rip-roaring howling arse of it so far.
and in many ways that is a more honest and better indicator.
In many ways? Well, perhaps, but not in the only one that really mattered to me in my day to day use of the platform. And I doubt I'm such a niche Twitter user as to be the only one who now uses the blue ticks in the opposite way from how they used to. As for better? I suppose the army of new blue ticks might think it's better but it's certainly devalued the platform from my perspective. I still use it most days but nowhere near as much as I used to and that's one of the reasons why.

Last edited:
And I doubt I'm such a niche Twitter user as to be the only one who now uses the blue ticks in the opposite way from how they used to.
you most definitely are not.
In any argument the second an account with a blue check shows up they're IMMEDIATELY made fun of...as in "you paid to kiss elon's butt". The meme's all come out and the person(s) are ridiculed mercilessly. I've seen this happen almost every time I'm on twitter - and I don't spend as much time on twitter as I used to. Mostly because it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

there's no question that blue checks are seen as disingenuous and fake right out of the box. And judging by their comments, its fairly accurate.

you most definitely are not.
In any argument the second an account with a blue check shows up they're IMMEDIATELY made fun of...as in "you paid to kiss elon's butt". The meme's all come out and the person(s) are ridiculed mercilessly. I've seen this happen almost every time I'm on twitter - and I don't spend as much time on twitter as I used to. Mostly because it's just not as much fun as it used to be.

there's no question that blue checks are seen as disingenuous and fake right out of the box. And judging by their comments, its fairly accurate.
Every where I went on twitter blue checks were frequently derided before Elon. As were "pronouns in bio". It was generally taken as a sign that you were ideologically approved. I'm not sure what motivations people have to buy blue checks but some people may do it because they still feel it legitimizes them, some may do it because it further pollutes the value of a blue check (which some organizations have fought to maintain) and there may be others that just like it because they aren't freeloading like all the unpaid accounts. Who can value the moral weight of such things? That's what the market is all about I guess.

Good riddance

It seems she left because of the decision to allow the Matt Walsh film, What is a Woman, to be shown. I watched it last night to see what all the fuss was about and found it to be a mostly reasonable look at the issues surrounding Trans rights. I'm certainly not a Matt Walsh fan, but with the exception of an opinionated ranty bit towards the end, I thought he did a pretty good job of providing balance. It's obviously biased but so is any other "documentary" you care to watch. (I'd probably hesitate to label it a documentary. It was more aimed at an entertainment angle, and pretty funny in parts. The style reminded me a bit of Fahrenheit 911, by Michael Moore. )

There was similar outrage over Adult Human Female. I watched that a couple of weeks ago and it was also pretty reasonable. Whilst both films featured interviews with people who could perhaps be described as transphobic, they also featured numerous interviews with trans-rights activists. Both films were undeniably critical of some trans-activism, but IMO neither film was overtly transphobic. In both cases the majority of the time was dedicated to highlighting some of the undeniable absurdities that have been thrown up. Having watch both of these supposedly transphobic films, the main takeaway for me is that Trans rights activists do themselves no favours when they label everything they disagree with as transphobic and seem to want a "book burning" society.

Last edited:
I watched that a couple of weeks ago and it was also pretty reasonable.
This has been the problem with twitter for years (as well as other "social" networks but twitter in particular). These "trust and safety" teams ran as little soviets, minitries of truth maintaining ideological purity on the interwebs. That's why there was all that squealing about Elon taking over Twitter (and why he wanted it). Otherwise it was just another corporate takeover, nothing to have a meltdown over - unless you are a loud and unpopular minority dictating "correct" opinions to the rabble. There are still a lot of wokies about but keep on cleaning house. I feel like the tide is solidly turning. Just the other week, on two separate radio science shows, Watson and Crick were rehabilitated back to being respectable credit worthy in the discovery of the Double Helix, for example, and we are now 5 days into "Pride Month" and I've yet to meet anyone who cares and there are precious few rainbows to be seen.

Back