Death by cop

Robert

Reaction score
There was a pretty extensive thread on this on the other version of the site but these incidents just keep on coming.

A Texas broadcaster has published video captured from a viewer's mobile phone that shows San Antonio police shoot and kill a man with his hands up.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-01-at-11.15.53-AM.png

Gilbert Flores.
The video, published Monday, shows deputies shoot 41-year-old Gilbert Flores outside a house where police were responding to a domestic disturbance call.

"He put his hands in the air and then he had his hands up for a few seconds and the cops shot him twice," Michael Thomas, the man who filmed the video, told CNN.

The recorded incident highlights again a YouTube society of sorts where the public, seemingly uneasy with the police because of a raft of shootings, is filming officer activity more and more with their mobile phones. All the while, police departments are embracing body and dash cams to film the public. "I thought with everything going on in the world, with police shootings and everything, I thought I would record what was happening," Thomas said.

Sorry for losing the other thread. There really was no interchangeability between the two programs.

What I've learned is that video is indispensable but doesn't always show everything. I've seen several examples where a shooting occurred but in the background of the video is some other action, such as another person drawing a weapon and the first person reacting...

BTW, I'm just as upset by bad cops as I am by the apparent war on cops by people shooting them because they feel "slighted". Not sure where a solution lies.

Wayne

Sorry for losing the other thread. There really was no interchangeability between the two programs.

No worries. I'm sure this one will fill up with tragically similar incidents just as quickly as the last one did.

What I've learned is that video is indispensable but doesn't always show everything. I've seen several examples where a shooting occurred but in the background of the video is some other action, such as another person drawing a weapon and the first person reacting...

True and I make no claim one way or the other about whether the police were wrong to shoot this guy dead.
The trouble is, things like this are now happening (or, more likely, being made public) so regularly people are no longer shocked and appalled and then the "video doesn't tell the whole story" explanation becomes the boy who cried wolf.

BTW, I'm just as upset by bad cops as I am by the apparent war on cops by people shooting them because they feel "slighted". Not sure where a solution lies.

Well I'm no expert on policing but a place to start might be if the US police could somehow see fit to stop shooting unarmed people dead. Then those other people might not feel so "slighted" as you put it.
I'm sure if an unarmed member of your family was murdered by someone who both you and the victim paid to protect them (via your taxes), you might feel "slighted" too.

Last edited:
When I say "slighted", I was referring to the undeniable fact that a vast majority of the current "war on cops" (and killing of same) is racially motivated by people who feel they have a right to kill cops just because of the color of their skin.

It's truly a fubar situation all around. One I'm sick of either way. Idiots, offenders, and people with chips on their shoulders make it neigh impossible for a police officer to do their job, then when things go awry, they label said officer "bad". Not saying there aren't bad cops. There are, just like there are bad people in EVERY profession...

Somewhere along the way, "the people" (broad generalization) have seemingly decided they want to live without respect for the authority of the police but at the same time, they want to hold the police accountable for the rise in crime when it all inevitably goes very bad...

Frankly, with a racially motivated POTUS who actively promotes racial division and actively refuses to step up and speak out EQUALLY about racial problems, it just gets worse from here...

This "war on cops" you're talking about, I am unaware of it.
This thread, like the other thread, was started to highlight how many people are shot dead by police officers.

There are, just like there are bad people in EVERY profession...

True but given that "bad" professionals of almost every other stripe are not defined by their shooting unarmed people dead, it's not particualrly relevant.

Don't really think bringing race into helps your case much either.

Don't really think bringing race into helps your case much either.
Sir, I'm not the one "Bringing race into" anything. That's simply the fact as it stands that 90% (or more) of the recent cases involving police shootings are racially motivated.

The fact that I feel our President is a race-bating incompetent hasn't been helped by his actions. Every black person that gets killed, he panders to the black voters. Every white person (or cop) who gets killed, you could hear crickets chirping... Not personal opinion on that. Demonstrated fact...

Sir, I'm not the one "Bringing race into" anything.

I'm afraid you are.
Specifically, *you* are bringing *race* into *this thread*.

That's simply the fact as it stands that 90% (or more) of the recent cases involving police shootings are racially motivated.

They are?
I'm aware that the majority of these incidents have involved white cops shooting black people. Indeed it might even be as much as the >= 90% you claim but I haven't seen any figures to confirm that.
And even if you can demonstrate that those are indeed the figures, I'm not sure you can demonstrate that race is the reason for it but if you have some evidence to back this up, I'd be happy to read it.

Sir, I'm not the one "Bringing race into" anything. That's simply the fact as it stands that 90% (or more) of the recent cases involving police shootings are racially motivated.
90% of policing is racially motivated. Black neighbourhoods are patrolled to a far higher degree than white neighbourhoods because whites wouldn't put up with it and police are on quotas and arrest black people for stuff they'd never get away arresting white people for.

And the private prisons will sue the states that can't deliver the minimum numbers of inmates that the contracts state.

Good grief. Stories like that make me appreciate UK police not routinely carrying guns.
It's a fustercluck all round. You keep coming across stories where police are called in to deal with medical patients and they just are not trained to deal with ... well, they aren't really trained to deal with people. Their whole training is - if something is acting out, tell it to comply, force it to comply or shoot it. People having panic attacks or asthma attacks or strokes etc are not necessarily (and many other conditions besides that can make people act abnormally) need a different protocol. The police are basically programmed to believe that everyone who doesn't do as they say is simply being wilfully defiant.

And the fact that hospitals (and other well meaning folks) who call in police to handle disruptive people either don't realize that they are calling in electricians to fix the plumbing or just don't care (perhaps because they are over worked).

This guy isn't dead at the moment, just paralyzed. Check what the cop says on the radio after looking in the vehicle.

Back