Brexit!! Yeah, it's a thing now..

@FluffyMcDeath

I'm assuming, perhaps a little arrogantly, that you posted all these clips in response to my previous post. If that is not the case, please ignore everything that follows. :p

I'll try to watch them properly later (despite my contempt for Galloway) and I'm sure I'll agree with many of their points - I considered voting to leave myself after all - but I think it's safe to assume they ignore the question of why UK politicians who favour "no-deal Brexit" are almost exclusively from the far-right of the Conservative party (none of the above are current MPs and one of them died five years ago. There's also old footage of Corbyn arguing against the EU, before he claimed to have changed his mind).

I'm sure I could find videos making the case for hard Brexit from Rees-Mogg, Davis, Johnson and the rest of their upper-class, "Rule Britannia" cabal but it probably wouldn't decrease the divergence from the point.

There are around 70 Tories signed up to the ERG "hard Brexit" group, and probably a good bunch more Tory MPs who are not members but still favour "no deal".
There might be some Labour MPs who think "no-deal" is a good idea but I can't find any. There certainly aren't anywhere near 70.
I'm also pretty confident that none of the Green, Lib-Dem or SNP MPs favour it.
All of the parties solidly against "no-deal" are to the "left" of the Conservatives.
Even the Conservatives who are against "no-deal" are mostly to the left of the ERG.

So, I'll ask you straight this time, why do you think the MPs who favour "no-deal Brexit" are almost exclusively from the far-right of the Conservative party?

@FluffyMcDeath
So, I'll ask you straight this time, why do you think the MPs who favour "no-deal Brexit" are almost exclusively from the far-right of the Conservative party?
Because they aren't in power and won't see any benefit from the "deal". Any deal will lock in wealth for the insiders in perpetuity. Both the out of power left and out of power right want no deal because it is the only option which will allow them a chance at getting some of the UKs wealth at some point in the future - because there will still be a UK government that it will be worth winning seats in.

Because they aren't in power and won't see any benefit from the "deal".

Their party are in power, as far as that goes, so they're more in power than MPs on the left.
Labour, whose party are not in power, want a deal.

Both the out of power left and out of power right want no deal...

Except that is not true. As I've tried to emphasise numerous times but you seem determined to ignore, MPs advocating "no-deal" are almost exclusively from the right. I don't know of a single MP on the left who takes a similar position (although there may well be a few).

Left-wing MPs (whose party are not in power) want a deal.
Right-wing MPs (whose party are in power) want no deal.

Can you can explain the difference?

Last edited:
Honda three weeks ago, announcing a six-day shutdown in Swindon due to Brexit:
“Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd has been assessing how best to prepare for any disruption caused by logistics and border issues following the UK leaving the EU on 29 March 2019. To ensure Honda is well paced to adjust to all possible outcomes, we are planing six non-production days in April 2019. This is to facilitate production recovery activity following any delays at borders on parts. “These contingency provisions have been put in place to best mitigate the risk of disruption to production operations at the Swindon factory.”

Honda today, announcing a permanentt shutdown in Swindon and loss of 3,500 jobs due to absolutely not Brexit:
We have to move very swiftly to electrification of our vehicles because of demand of our customers and legislation.
This is not a Brexit-related issue for us.

Swiftly? You're not joking.
I suppose a lot can change in three weeks.

On a selfish note, I'm booked up to go to Italy for a week of snowboarding, two days after the official leave date. If they don't get the finger out soon, my holiday could be even more adversely affected than it already is.

I'd like to think this won't interfere with my snowboarding but the disagreement over semantics seems to have become a bit more entrenched:
British tourists travelling to continental Europe may need to pay £52 for a visa in a few weeks after Spanish demands over the status of Gibraltar again derailed Brussels’ preparations for Brexit.

Agreement on legislation exempting UK nationals from requiring the travel permit is mired in a dispute over whether the British overseas territory should be described as a “colony” in the EU’s statute book.

Spain has insisted, with the reluctant support of the other 26 member states, that a footnote containing the contentious description of the disputed territory is added to the legislation.

First World Problems. :cool:

More farcical incompetence:
Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case
_105852866_eurotunnel.train.g.jpg

The government will pay £33m to Eurotunnel in an agreement to settle a lawsuit over extra ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

In December, the Department for Transport (DfT) contracted three suppliers to provide additional freight capacity on ferries for lorries.
But Eurotunnel said the contracts were handed out in a "secretive" way.
As part of the agreement, Eurotunnel has agreed to make some improvements to its terminal.
One of the firms awarded a ferry contract, Seaborne Freight, has already had its deal cancelled after the Irish company backing it pulled out.
Shortly after it was awarded the contract, the BBC found out that Seaborne had no ships and had never run a ferry service.

Funny and sad at the same time

I'm hardly an expert, But as I see it, leaving will create a giant mess. Not just because none of this is planned but because none of this was thought through.

I thought Tony Benn's comments about democracy were very subtle and complex.

I think improving the EU is a better and more intelligent solution, rather than leaving in a huff.

Left-wing MPs (whose party are not in power) want a deal.
Right-wing MPs (whose party are in power) want no deal.

Can you can explain the difference?

I meant to get back to this before - thanks cecilia for bumping the thread today -

You say the left want a deal (and maybe they do) so did they vote for the deal? It was rejected by almost all of Labour and others with just a few Labour and Independents voting for, and almost a third of May's own party voted against.

So, is the issue "a deal" or is it who gets to make the deal, or what's in the deal? "Deal" may be a high level goal, but just getting a deal cannot be the goal itself and who trusts who to make that deal? The left can SAY they want a deal for moral advantage, then vote against the deal because a) they don't like it, and b) they can blame the Tory's for not being able to get a good deal.

I meant to get back to this before - thanks cecilia for bumping the thread today -

You say the left want a deal (and maybe they do) so did they vote for the deal?

They say they want a deal but not the one the "centrist" Tories are proposing.
But the point that you still haven't addressed is, those proposing leaving without any deal are the far right, not the left.

-EDIT-
Updated to add today's comment from John McDonnell, Corbyn's sidekick and considered by many to be the most leftwing MP in parliament:
“The Bank of England is working to mitigate the potentially disastrous effects of a no-deal Brexit for the financial sector but for the sake of the whole economy, Labour will do everything to prevent no deal from happening.”

Last edited:
BMW may stop making Mini at Cowley if there is no-deal Brexit
Carmaker joined by Toyota in warning over threat to jobs if UK leaves EU without deal

BMW has said it might be forced to stop making the Mini at its Cowley plant near Oxford in the event of a no-deal Brexit, putting more than 100 years of carmaking at the site at risk.
--
“This would be really a huge burden for the Mini brand. If this would come, which is the worst-case scenario, we’d need to consider what it means for us in the long run. For Mini this is really a danger.”

Asked if this might mean BMW moving out of the Cowley plant, on the outskirts of Oxford, he said: “We at least have to consider it because we cannot absorb 10% costs on top of it.”

Brexit is a 'huge help' to Irish republicanism, says dissident leader
Saoradh party’s chair believes exit from EU will fuel violent resistance to British rule
3500.jpg

A mock customs post set up at the Irish border by anti-Brexit campaigners. Border infrastructure would underline the reason for resistance, Brian Kenna said.

Brexit is a “huge help” to Irish republicanism and will fuel violent resistance to British rule in Northern Ireland, a dissident republican leader has claimed.

The UK’s departure from the European Union has refocused attention on the border and the “colonialist” partition of Ireland, boosting efforts to politicise a new generation of Irish nationalists, Brian Kenna, chairman of the political party Saoradh, told the Guardian.

“Brexit has been a small pilot light in reigniting that side of physical force to British occupation,” he said.
Kenna spoke in an interview before three* improvised explosive devices were found at separate transport hubs in London on Tuesday. At least two of the packages bore Irish stamps and postmarks.
The return of customs posts or any border infrastructure would underline the reason for resistance, he said. “That border denies our national sovereignty and partitions our island. Brexit has brought that into focus.”

No one has claimed responsibility but, on Wednesday, Ireland’s deputy prime minister, Simon Coveney, hinted that republican extremists were suspected by expressing “anger and embarrassment” at the “warped thinking” behind the packages.

--
* there were actually four if you include the controlled explosion at my old college yesterday. A slightly alarming development as Scotland was generally spared bomb attacks during the troubles.

No-deal Brexit: Ryanair to ban UK citizens from buying more shares
Airlines not majority-owned by EU nationals or companies risk losing right to fly within bloc
4842.jpg

British citizens who own shares in Ryanair will be barred from buying more stock, voting on company resolutions or attending annual shareholder meetings if a no-deal Brexit goes ahead, the Dublin-based carrier said on Monday.

EU regulations require that airlines flying under a European licence must be majority-owned and controlled by shareholders from the trading bloc.

N
British citizens who own shares in Ryanair will be barred from buying more stock, voting on company resolutions or attending annual shareholder meetings if a no-deal Brexit goes ahead, the Dublin-based carrier said on Monday.

EU regulations require that airlines flying under a European licence must be majority-owned and controlled by shareholders from the trading bloc.

WTO has annexes dealing with air transport. Non European licensees will still have access to the market under WTO rules. However, if you are not European, and you actually want to take over control of Ryanair, this has made things more difficult.

Back