Why I do what I do, and how I could use your help...

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't imagine anyone's going to actually read this, but over the last few years, I've invested in both 3D printing, and a computer controlled wood carving machine (aka CNC machine). The CNC machine to make things like signs, and furniture, initially the first 3D printer (of now four) was intended to simply make tools for the CNC machine.

My goal was to turn both into a "after I retire business"... Things happen, life happens, and the cost of wood has well-over doubled, making it kinda expensive to play with and learn on.

Initially my thought was to turn to Etsy, Marketplace, and other venues to try and sell en masse but I've discovered that pretty much every other hobbyist on the planet had the same idea, meaning I'm very late to the game and it's almost impossible to get a foothold and to get established.

Meanwhile, I've discovered something. Rather than printing out "toys" and stuff, I am really enjoying the designing aspect of it. Making solutions to real-world needs, such as a soap tray for the shower, a sink drainer to sit your soap bottles on, garage storage tools and trays, webcam mounts, etc... This weekend for example, I designed and built a swivel arm to mount on the wall for my shop vac hose to keep it off the floor...

To that end, I'm hoping that you, as my friends, my help me out and think about things that you need around your own home or for your own hobbies. Work with me to help build what you need, and that'll help me become a better designer, and to build a portfolio of unique items that others don't currently sell online...

Win/Win, and thanks for reading this far...

Wayne, I salute you. I've had that inherited 3D printer for a year and haven't even bothered my arse to get it working yet. I spent an hour with it one day last year, got as far as the power lights showing up, then gave up and promptly forgot about it.

Wayne, I salute you. I've had that inherited 3D printer for a year and haven't even bothered my arse to get it working yet. I spent an hour with it one day last year, got as far as the power lights showing up, then gave up and promptly forgot about it.
I know how your feel. There's no "Amiga-level" plug and play printer yet, and I hate tinkering with the mechanics and electrical...

I pre-ordered a bambu lab X1 Carbon (bambulab.com) which is by all reports supposed to be a quantum leap forward, but we will see.

Back