What's your "thing"?

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
I know everyone here pretty much migrated from Amiga.org, so everyone shares (or at least shared) one interest in legacy computers.

To that end, what other hobbies do you have? Any interests that you could use a Web site or section to support? Anything from Angling, to Wiffle bat collecting?

As for me -- to get the ball rolling -- I'm too old to deal with frustrating computers but obviously, there's;
  • political ranting,
  • recipe collecting and cooking (though not so much any more after surgery)
  • Motorcycles and cars...
  • Movies and TV...
I'm trying to think about big picture stuff related to the site's future. How could I better target Whyzzat.com better, that sort of thing. Unfortunately none of my interests seem to be anywhere near an untapped (or even unsaturated) niche market like Amiga.org served in 1994...

How could I do a better job at providing a site you'd actually use more? Do you see a niche or something I might be able to provide an online sanctuary for? Is "Whyzzat" the place for such an adventure or would another domain name be better?

A lot of questions, not a lot of answers. Help!

Wayne

I could let you guess, but it should be fairly clear that I'm mostly a political ranter. A lefty liberal one.
Outside interests? My lodge and my community - but those are fairly local things.
Unfortunately non of my Amigas got any love so far this year. My uA1 hasn't been powered on in 2015 because the ethernet died on it (or so it seems) and I haven't had time to look into it.

Honestly I would have said tablet gaming, except that my tablet shat the bed back in December. I'll replace it at some point... Honest. I really was getting into Republique.

Cooking is fast becoming an interest of mine, beyond just the course.

I like gadgets and technological oddities. As well as tech that never made it, like this.

I enjoy history.

I am more or less out of the political stuff - at this point the only difference between the various parties both in the UK and US is who they claim are to blame for whatever the problems is, why we should hate them and how much lube they're going to bring when they start {bleep} you. I know it's kind of cynical but honestly there are only so many permutations of some authoritarian group, be it Teahadists or SJWs doing something reprehensible and the media at large rewarding such behaviour by providing f*cktons of coverage before you have to say: Enough.

I think there could be things like a question of the week perhaps? Might be interesting to give a one comment answer blind to other answers until posting.

As for the big picture stuff, I'd be very interested in what you come up with. I think there is definitely a place for whyzzat targeted at a larger demographic. How and what that demographic is and how you'd target it is however a question for brighter minds than mine.

Hmm... hobby projects usually fall into the musical category.
I'm awaiting the go-ahead to convert my garage into a home recording studio so room acoustics are something I'm going to be reading up on but that will be most likely a one off.

I still occasionally fire up the A1 but it's been much neglected lately....

Nah, I guess political ranting is probably my main interest as far as Whyzzat is concerned.

Honestly I would have said tablet gaming, except that my tablet shat the bed back in December. I'll replace it at some point... Honest. I really was getting into Republique.

Yeah, I enjoy some mobile gaming, and even some other gaming, in general. Though, one of my alter-egos (TK_SVT) already inhabits GESC on Ars Technica forums to scratch that particular itch. Ars folks are actually great to game with online. I've had a blast.

I like gadgets and technological oddities. As well as tech that never made it, like this.

I enjoy history.

That stuff is definitely cool...

I am more or less out of the political stuff - at this point the only difference between the various parties both in the UK and US is who they claim are to blame for whatever the problems is, why we should hate them and how much lube they're going to bring when they start {bleep} you. I know it's kind of cynical but honestly there are only so many permutations of some authoritarian group, be it Teahadists or SJWs doing something reprehensible and the media at large rewarding such behaviour by providing f*cktons of coverage before you have to say: Enough.

You know... I agree. And coupled with my disappointment that so many of the political "discussions" even among friends here just degraded into firestorms and cheap attacks... (sigh) Maybe if there was some way to wrangle discussion back around to what we can do about the current situation... But I have no idea how that would work.

I think there could be things like a question of the week perhaps? Might be interesting to give a one comment answer blind to other answers until posting.

Or even make it blind for the first week. Then next week when the new question is posted, the thread is opened to read everyone elses response to last week's question and discuss. That's a really interesting concept, there. Something I haven't seen elsewhere.

As for the big picture stuff, I'd be very interested in what you come up with. I think there is definitely a place for whyzzat targeted at a larger demographic. How and what that demographic is and how you'd target it is however a question for brighter minds than mine.

Yup. If I had a really strong answer to this question, I'd probably be running that site, myself. :D

...And as for Amigas... Well, I still have a few in storage. But I haven't booted one in years. I was mildly intrigued when I learned that WinUAE now has PPC support. But I don't have a PPC AmigaOS to try on it, and I'm not even sure I'm interested enough to spend a few bucks to pick one up. (I did hear OS4.1 Final is actually reasonably priced.)

Last edited:
(I did hear OS4.1 Final is actually reasonably priced.)

Indeed it was - somewhere around thirty British pounds, if memory serves.
Just cheap enough to persuade me to buy it.
This, in turn, was enough for me to fish the A1 out of the cupboard and set it up in the living room.
Lack of time and motivation has meant it's gone largely unexplored.
This upshot is that the only purpose the A1 currently serves is to smugly lord it over my girlfriend as she silently seethes at having such an eyesore in the front room. :oops:

Still, one day, as I keep telling her (and myself).

Indeed it was - somewhere around thirty British pounds, if memory serves.
Just cheap enough to persuade me to buy it.

Yes, I keep meaning to buy that OS4.1 - but likewise, time is a illusive thing these days. Not too much time for playing.

My thing is still computers - Microsoft and Linux mainly. Though I have some Apple devices as well. I run and exercise. I have a monthly Board Gaming Group I attend. Sun nights while the kids sleep is my online gaming fix.

Though being the single dad with 2 great kids their transportation and interaction involves the vast majority of my time (outside of working hours)

Computing, music, reading, gaming, walking etc.

Except I never seem to do any of those things apart from walking, these days :)

I did enjoy a brief gaming resurgence in the new year after getting a 4K TV. Although I couldn't get 60fps due to the silly HDMI 1.4 spec output, it did look pretty amazing for a while.

Computing, music, reading, gaming, walking etc.
When you say "walking" do you mean like the Penine Way or the Yorkshire Three Peaks, etc, or do just mean going between the kitchen and the sofa?

Little of column A, little of column B...

I moved home since we last caught up. There's plenty of moorland and hills and such where I am these days.

I do miss the city views from the old place though.

Cars, photography, gaming, music, beer, computing, reading (history, chem and physics), fishing and I seem to have developed some kind of YouTube addiction. Recently I've been spending far too much time playing with Lego Digital Designer however with GTA V now out, I think that will die off a tad...

Since no one else chimed in (or I missed it, it's early here...) Welcome back Karlos!

Thanks. I see a lot of familiar handles here :)

Tying in with the walking, I find myself whipping out the phone and firing up ingress a lot when I'm out and about. Any other aficionados here?

Tying in with the walking, I find myself whipping out the phone and firing up ingress a lot when I'm out and about. Any other aficionados here?
I hadn't heard of it. Sounds like I'd have to get a better data plan!!

It's one of the many things I'd never heard about before. Taking a look now.

Back