What it's like to be a third party candidate

well, of course.
Bernie has always been and still IS an Independent.
But he's no dummy. To be taken seriously (and it didn't happen right away), he Had to run on the dem ticket

What I WANT to see happen is that he helps transform the democratic party - because right now it sucks badly.

TBH, the Republican Party sucks too. I've been a Republican for years, but no one who is intelligent and a Republican is left in the race - Trump is a smart businessman but he is infected with "foot in mouth disease" and the President should think before speaking. (Can't get behind Cruz with his Canadian citizenship questions that he has yet to clarify to my satisfaction, so who's left for the country to take seriously.) And the last 3rd party candidate to make any substantial showing was H. Ross Perot. And Clinton (Bill) pretty much said in a couple of the debates back then, "yes, I agree with Ross". So, Perot got his message out there, but Clinton took credit for some of his ideas. I honestly like Bernie - he's very smart and well read, he has class, too. Also, he's a New Englander and he tells it like it is.

what I hate about cruz and the rest of the gop candidates is that they have no respect for the First Amendment (Separation of church and State). cruz is a dominionist and general wacko.
drumpf just yells louder but he says what they all agree on

the whole lot of them (in the gop) are unpresidential and embarrassing

On the GOP side, I'd say that Kasich is probably the best bet. Don't get me wrong, he has some troubling connections (especially Lehman Brothers) but still, he seems the most level-headed and sane one of the group. I don't really know that much about him, but from what I can tell, he's done a fairly decent job in Ohio, and in a lot of ways, Ohio is kind of a miniature version of the whole country. You have a little tourism, a bunch of farming, and a lot of ghosts from long downtrodden manufacturing.

Of course, I would guess that Kasich getting the GOP nomination has an even slimmer chance than Bernie getting the Democratic nomination... Such is politics, nowadays. (sigh)

Welp, now that it's Trump versus Hillary, I'm still in the "anyone but Hillary" camp... I just wish I could have a real candidate to vote for.

Welp, now that it's Trump versus Hillary, I'm still in the "anyone but Hillary" camp... I just wish I could have a real candidate to vote for.

Yeah, I'm with ya, there. I can't vote for Hillary. That is pretty much a given.

So, my decision comes to if I'll vote for Trump or again register my disgust with the choices and vote for a 3rd party candidate? I think it'll come down to who Trump chooses as a VP.

What options are there here?
Jill Stein is the Green Party candidate.

John McAfee is running in the Libertarian primaries but there are many other candidates in that race and they haven't selected their candidate yet. Others I don't know about.

Jill Stein is the Green Party candidate.

John McAfee is running in the Libertarian primaries but there are many other candidates in that race and they haven't selected their candidate yet. Others I don't know about.

I hadn't actually looked into who was leading the other parties, yet, this year.

John McAfee?!? The batshit-insane founder and ex-executive of the AntiVirus company? Dear God.... So you mean Hillary isn't even the worst choice in the running for a nomination?

Looks like if Trump goes with a terrible VP, I'll be going with Jill Stein. I don't remember, for sure... But I think I ended up voting for her back in 2012, too.
(ETA: Nope. Looks like I voted for Gary Johnson back in 2012.) Seems like I found a post mentioning it on some site named Whyzzat? lol

I hadn't actually looked into who was leading the other parties, yet, this year.

John McAfee?!? The batshit-insane founder and ex-executive of the AntiVirus company? Dear God.... So you mean Hillary isn't even the worst choice in the running for a nomination?

Mental as he is, I'd sooner have McAfee than Trump. But that's just me. =)

Looks like if Trump goes with a terrible VP, I'll be going with Jill Stein.

I imagine if I were in your shoes I'd also vote Green, given that I voted Green in the Scottish election on Thursday.

Just remember folks, in a two-party system as is the U.S., a vote which isn't cast AGAINST Hillary Clinton works for her. Since 99% of the country (the part that will bother to vote at all) will vote either red or blue, any vote cast for Libertarian, Green, or Donald Duck only makes it that much harder to keep her out of office. I'm not a fan of Trump really, but again, "Anyone but Hillary".

Just remember folks, in a two-party system as is the U.S., a vote which isn't cast AGAINST Hillary Clinton works for her.

Ironic that this thread started with an article laying out how the media would portray any third party as stealing votes FROM the Democratic party.

Either way, if you (and the electorate in general) just keep thinking like that, it'll never change.

When I was first allowed to vote (1990) there was essentially a two party set up of Labour/Conservative. I voted for a minority "loony" party (SNP) who would only get around 5% of the vote in Scotland, and I voted for them consistently afterwards, watching as their share of the vote improved over the last 26 years. That has gradually increased to the point that they are now the leading party in Scotland. So much so that I voted for someone else last Thursday, not because I fundamentally disagree with any of their policies but because I didn't want them to continue with an outright majority.
Things can change over time.

Having said all that, I can understand your inclination to do whatever you can to keep Clinton out of office. I'd probably feel the same. Just don't think I could actually vote for a rabble-rousing scumbag like Trump

Mental as he is, I'd sooner have McAfee than Trump. But that's just me. =)

I imagine if I were in your shoes I'd also vote Green, given that I voted Green in the Scottish election on Thursday.

Well, I'm definitely not thrilled with Trump. Don't get me wrong, there. I don't like a lot of his techniques. But, honestly, he's less of a hawk on war than Hillary... He's not spent any time I know of in a mental institution, unlike McAfee... Sure, he is definitely a blowhard and opens his mouth a bit before he really thinks things through. And he's certainly willing to play by the letter of the law over the spirit of it, when it suits him... And he's not above some other underhanded tricks, as well. He's an old-school asshole, all around.

But we keep marching out the same empty-headed spineless politicians and keep getting taken advantage of, both on foreign relations and domestic issues. Maybe it really is time to bring in someone completely new. He obviously knows how to play politics and get what he wants, even within complex rules and frameworks. He isn't owned by any major donors, and he doesn't seem hot on going to war. If you can put aside the fake tan and fake hair, there are definitely worse choices out there.

Ironic that this thread started with an article laying out how the media would portray any third party as stealing votes FROM the Democratic party.

Either way, if you (and the electorate in general) just keep thinking like that, it'll never change.
Yup. I've never been a fan of voting for someone I don't like just for the sole purpose of voting against someone I dislike even more.

Having said all that, I can understand your inclination to do whatever you can to keep Clinton out of office. I'd probably feel the same. Just don't think I could actually vote for a rabble-rousing scumbag like Trump

Yup. I'm kinda trying to decide that, myself. :D

Back