The mayor of London is a moron

Glaucus

Reaction score
London mayor suggests Clooney needs his 'marbles restored'

“Someone urgently needs to restore George Clooney’s marbles,” Johnson said. "Here he is plugging a film about looted Nazi art without realising that Goring himself had plans to plunder the British Museum. And where were the Nazis going to send the Elgin marbles? To Athens! This Clooney is advocating nothing less than the Hitlerian agenda for London’s cultural treasures. He should stuff the Hollywood script and stick to history.”
That's some seriously screwed up logic and in a way made the NAZIs look like the good guys. What an idiot.

"The mayor of London is a moron"

Well spotted.

London mayor suggests Clooney needs his 'marbles restored'

That's some seriously screwed up logic and in a way made the NAZIs look like the good guys. What an idiot.

The logic is ok, it's just hard to swallow. George Clooney wants Britain to send the marbles back to Athens. Hitler wanted to send the marbles the British had appropriated back to Athens. Therefore Clooney is advocating what Hitler advocated. Like I said, the logic is impeccable.
Whether or not the prepositions are true, I cannot say. Personally I think that if Clooney had his marbles he wouldn't have signed up for a movie with such a nauseating self-righteous premise.

Boris' logic is that because Hitler wanted to return the marbles to Greece, it's automatically a bad idea for the marbles to be returned by anyone else. That's it. He offered no other reasoning for not returning the marbles than that. Hitler also drank water, I suppose Boris abstains from such evil activity?

Hitler and the NAZIs did a lot of evil things, but what's right and what's wrong is not solely defined by what the NAZIs did. Boris' logic is backwards. I think you're mixing up facts with logic, but even then I'd argue that it's debatable if Hitler would indeed send the marbles back to Greece or keep them in the huge museum he always dreamed about in Germany.

Either way, I know very little about Boris, but what he said here makes no real sense. Resorting to such a poor defense typically means they're defending the indefensible and are just grasping at straws to distract rather than convince.

And I actually look forward to Clooney's movie although I know little about it really other than the main premise.

Hitler and the NAZIs did a lot of evil things, but what's right and what's wrong is not solely defined by what the NAZIs did.
And likewise the British and Americans committed their own attrocities as did the other participants in the war. However we know what is good and what is evil because of who won. The victor is always moral almost by definition. The Hebrews of the old testiment were assured that the successes of their genocidal ventures against their neighbours was proof of their righteousness. We know the old saying about history and who writes it.

Boris' logic is backwards. I think you're mixing up facts with logic,

No. Logic is actually pretty straightforward. I would presume that you must have taken at least one course in logic at some time.

As I said, the logic is plain enough. The problem lies in the assumptions and in moral interpretation.

On the assumption side I do not know if Boris is correct. I do not know if Hitler intended to repatriate the Parthenon marbles.
On the moral side I cannot say whether or not it would have been evil for him to do so.
I'm not even sure if I can decide whether it was evil or not to take them in the first place. The British acquired an awful lot of other people's stuff as they built their empire. The Brits are emotionally tied to the stuff now - it's their birthright as part of their "fairly won" booty. Should Britain give marbles back to people who didn't really seem to care for them? If so then shouldn't we also give Canada back to the natives and shouldn't Israel return the lands and homes of the Palestinians many of whom are still alive and still hold the deeds for those properties?

Or do we get to pick and choose who should get their stuff back and when it's good or evil to force people to hand over other people's stuff?

As to the movie, I saw the trailer and it made me queasy. A bunch of Hollywood pretties on a jingoistic mission to show the world their righteousness cred - in other words, a fantasy. Hitler could have made this movie about the Germans if he'd won. After all he was a true lover of art and a frustrated artist himself.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I give up fluffy, you win. I have better things to do than this.

Back