Space Stuff

Kubrick and Clarke reunited as mountains on Pluto’s moon Charon
Names proposed by the public are now officially acknowledged by astronomers.
PIA19713_hires-1-800x450.jpg

That's Kubrick Mons to you, sir!

NASA may fly crew into deep space sooner, but there’s a price
The Exploration Upper Stage seems nowhere near readiness.
SLS-variants-800x535.jpg

NASA will likely launch its first astronauts into deep space since the Apollo program on a less powerful version of its Space Launch System rocket than originally planned. Although it has not been officially announced, in recent weeks mission planners at the space agency have begun designing "Exploration Mission 2" to be launched on the Block 1 version of the SLS rocket, which has the capability to lift 70 tons to low Earth orbit.

Acting agency administrator Robert Lightfoot confirmed during a Congressional hearing on Thursday that NASA is seriously considering launching humans to the Moon on the Block 1 SLS. "We'll change the mission profile if we fly humans and we use the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage (ICPS), because we can't do what we could do if we have the Exploration Upper Stage," Lightfoot said.

Reactions: adz
SMOD 2018GE3 has a near miss in its failed attempt for a Tunguska event today

amateur astronomer video of asteroid 2018GE3 passing earth at 0.5 Lunar Distance at link

now going to have to wait until the April 23rd for Nibiru to destroy the World

74316-Work-Office-Watching-Clock-Time-Slow-Smiley-Smilie-Smileys-Smilies-....gif

it is anticipated that on April 23 2018 the sun, moon and Jupiter will align in the constellation Virgo, and the mysterious "death planet" Nibiru will appear in the sky

A Solar Cycle 25 sunspot has been detected – Solar cycle 24 one of the weakest cycles

A new solar cycle starts when a pattern of sunspots have the opposite magnetic polarities from the sunspots of the current cycle. That sunspots have magnetic polarity was not discovered until 1907. Overlap of solar cycles is typical, solar cycle 24 is not over until 7 months after the last sunspot of sc24 polarity is detected. The official start of SC25 will be not be determined until more SC25 sunspots appear.

I thought Nibiru was supposed to have wiped us out already?

I thought Nibiru was supposed to have wiped us out already?

There have been a few "miscalculations" on the appearance of Nibiru, BUT this time doomsayers predict it will kill us "for sure"

10,000 pixel? That's literally 100x100 resolution.

correct, it's a 10000 pixel detector array of a spot of light focused on at the optical resolution of the Palomar Telescope

Design and Development Status of MKID Integral Field Spectrographs for High Contrast Imaging

DARKNESS is a 10,000 pixel MKID IFS that will integrate with the coronagraphs at Palomar Observatory, as well as directly with the Palm-3000 (P3K) extreme adaptive optics (AO) system. MKIDs detect individual photons with time resolution of a few microseconds, are capable of measuring individual photon energies to within a few percent, and have no analogue for the read-noise or dark current present in conventional semiconductor-based detectors

Headline of the week, possibly year, from the Independent:
Uranus smells like rotten eggs

It would be very difficult to actually smell it, however, since the suffocating, cold atmosphere would take you first
uranus.jpg

A false colour view of Uranus made from images taken by Voyager II in 1986 from a distance of 4.17 million kilometers
Uranus smells like rotten eggs, scientists have found. And that’s not even the worst of it.

The planet’s cloud tops are partly made up of hydrogen sulphide, the same chemical that gives rotten eggs on Earth their disgusting odour. As such, anyone who actually managed to arrive there would smell the pungent aroma.

“If an unfortunate human were ever to descend through Uranus’s clouds, they would be met with very unpleasant and odiferous conditions,” said Patrick Irwin from the University of Oxford, one of the team of scientists who explored the planet’s chemical makeup.

Impressive bit of boffinry:
Incredible Euro space agency data leak... just as planned: 1.7bn stars in our galaxy mapped
In 53 quadrillion miles, take the next exit right at V354 Cephei
Wednesday's mega-release, containing high precision measurements of nearly 1.7 billion stars, dwarfs the first release of data in 2016, which pinned down the position of 1.14 billion stars and the distances and motion of "only" two million.

The new data includes distance indicators and motions of more than one billion stars. Thanks to the accuracy of measurements taken over 22 months, scientists are able to separate the parallax of stars (a shift on the sky caused by the Earth’s orbit) from how they are actually moving through the Galaxy.

The distance to individual stars can then be measured.

comet clip:

The bright dots travelling from the top of the frame to the bottom, which look something like snow, are in fact background stars. They have that apparent motion as the spacecraft moves and the comet rotates. The more rapidly moving streaks are thought to be dust particles illuminated by the Sun. There also appear to be a few streaking cosmic rays.

ezgif-1-9936079c97.gif

NASA budgeting reveals dim hopes for humans going to Mars

When it comes to spaceflight, there are crazy optimistic schedules like those that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk sometimes tosses about, and then there's just plain crazy. Some recent comments from the chief executive of Boeing, an aerospace company that simultaneously holds the most lucrative contracts in NASA’s exploration, International Space Station, and commercial crew programs, seem to fall into the latter category.

Speaking at a recent forum about NASA’s plans to send humans to Mars, Boeing’s Dennis Muilenburg offered his own opinion. "I anticipate that we will put the first person on Mars in my lifetime,” he said. “I think in this decade, and the first person that gets there is going to be on a Boeing rocket."

This is a preposterous statement. NASA may one day send humans to Mars on a “Boeing rocket”—the Space Launch System—but it will not happen in this decade or the next. In fact, on the present schedule, and because the staggering development costs of Boeing’s rocket will measure in the tens of billions of dollars, NASA seems unlikely to land humans even on the Moon in the 2020s. Mars remains a distant, evanescent dream.

Muilenburg’s rah-rah rhetoric, moreover, is severely undercut by comments from NASA’s chief of human spaceflight. Although a recent remark from Bill Gerstenmaier didn’t get much public attention, it put to bed any grandiose ideas about NASA’s deep space exploration plans, and especially talk of Mars. During a meeting of the NASA Advisory Council in late March, in reference to planning for human deep space missions, Gerstenmaier said, “We’re going to try and live within flat budgets.”

I've begrudgingly accepted the fact in my lifetime I will not live to see mankind leave Near Earth Orbit.

I'm a bit more optimistic.
I think we'll have seen at least a Martian fly-by before 2035 (no guarantee that either of us will last that long but one can hope..)

-EDIT-
I should add, I don't think it will purely down to NASA.

Back