Solar is competitive

And Texas runs 1/3 rd on wind.
http://www.newsforage.com/2014/03/one-third-of-texas-was-running-on-wind.html?m=1

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
from the link:
"That's enough to provide 29 percent of the state's power, and to keep the lights on in over 5 million homes."

That does not imply texas was running 1/3rd of that wind-generated energy. Unless demand was keeping up exactly with the wind gusts, lots of that energy was wasted, even if large arrays of batteries were being used to serve the energy when needed.
Creating a windmill still takes more energy than it will ever produce (perhaps because of the ill energy/costs ratio caused by too low gas prices).
There are plenty of alternative windmill and solar techniques that are much more competitive yet unfortunately I see them not implemented as everyone seems to take a blind eye for them.
(exceptions exist thankfully though, like this solar energy system in spain)

At the energy exchange in Leipzig, you will frequently see negative energy prices which is to say that companies will receive money for taking power out of the grid (so it does not overload).

That said, these kind of peak production numbers should not be taken too seriously. Nine new coal fired power plants are being built in Germany right now which probably would not be the case if there was widespread belief that it will soon be possible to efficiently and inexpensively store power generated via solar or wind.

I don't know why people assume solar is simply supposed to 'replace" whatever energy source one is using now. It's supposed to be an additional source.
As the technology advances it may replace various other sources but the point is to get it moving. In the next several years I am most definitely going to be getting solar something for my mother's house.

I don't know why people assume solar is simply supposed to 'replace" whatever energy source one is using now. It's supposed to be an additional source. As the technology advances it may replace various other sources but the point is to get it moving.

Actually, it is most certainly supposed to replace nuclear and fossil energy sources as much as possible. Germany has been investing heavily into the deployment of alternative energy sources specifically to meet its targets for reducing carbondioxide emissions. (Unfortunately, despite all the efforts, Germany has continously failed to meet its own targets.)

I mean "replace IMMEDIATELY".

AND at Least Germany is doing SOMETHING

we really have no choice. eventually there will be NO oil left to "easily" collect out of the planet. It doesn't matter when this "deadline" happens because it will just get more difficult to extract, more expensive and the probabilities for pollution become greater.

At the energy exchange in Leipzig...

OT - do you live in Leipzig?

I haven't been in Germany for over 20 years but the last time I was there, I lived in Leipzig for six months.

OT - do you live in Leipzig?
Not exactly, but I live very close by.

I haven't been in Germany for over 20 years but the last time I was there, I lived in Leipzig for six months.
Well, I hope you enjoyed your stay. The city has changed a lot since then for sure. Fortunately, it is one of a few cities in Germany that you can explore via Google Street View so it is easy to compare one's memories to what the city looks like today.

Well, I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Very much so. I was reluctant to leave.

The city has changed a lot since then for sure. Fortunately, it is one of a few cities in Germany that you can explore via Google Street View so it is easy to compare one's memories to what the city looks like today.

Thanks, I might just do that.

I like solar, but on a really large scale the US should go geothermal. More specifically, we should build the world's largest geothermal plant by far in Yellowstone park. Put the crooked regional electrical utilities out of business and power as much of the entire US as possible from Yellowstone.

Before you say how terrible to treat a natural park this way, know that Yellowstone is a literal super volcano that scientists think is past due to erupt. If/when it does erupt it could kill 2/3 the US population in a few months and possibly much worse globally.

If Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, two-thirds of America will be left uninhabitable

As much energy as we can extract out of the ground could delay such an event.

As much energy as we can extract out of the ground could delay such an event.

I've thought about that too. The upside is that strategically done you may be able to tap heat in such as way as to reduce the likelihood of eruption - but then again - just installing the infrastructure could set something off.

On the positive side, who the heck is going to be left to sue you either way? :)

Back