Senate OKs 4-month delay in conversion to digital TV

Wayne

Administrator
Reaction score
The Senate voted today to delay until June 12 the deadline for the changeover from analog to digital television broadcasting. People still getting their pictures through old-fashioned antennas otherwise would face a Feb. 17 cutoff.
Freep.com
---------

Anyone who hasn't bought a $15 box after what... 6 years of "it's coming, here is the deadline" should be left behind. They'll get the picture, and honestly if they're too poor to afford a box, they shouldn't be wasting time watching TV anyway.

Just my thought.

Wayne

I heard the government was giving away vouchers for the digital converter box - two per household. If that's the case, then even money shouldn't be an issue.

Glaucus said:
I heard the government was giving away vouchers for the digital converter box - two per household. If that's the case, then even money shouldn't be an issue.
It's an issue for politicians who worry about 6.5 million people screaming bloody murder because they didn't want a new converter box.

I hate this politically correct society BS.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/
is where you can get coupons. it doesn't mean the converters are free, but cost less.

it's a good thing for people like my aunt who is barely living off ss or whatever she has.

My freedom of choice was shown recently by cutting off DirectTV and going to the internet for free TV and then the rentals.

Yup. This was an emergency alright. The last thing the government needs is for all the mouth-breathing trailer trash to have their TV cut off. They might actually wake up - then there'd be hell to pay.

WASHINGTON - The House has defeated a bill to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12.
no need to panic

We shut down the analogue network a few years ago, and there was one hell of a fuss about it here aswell.
Once the transition was done, people stopped whining. :roll:

as i was "in charge" of getting my aunt's converter box it seems to me that the biggest issue was/is that they can't make those things fast enough.

I had to call a store for a few weeks to see if they had gotten a shipment into their warehouse.

once that happened it was easy to get one and my brother installed it for her.

transitions are always a bit bumpy.

people tend to think technology is problem free

they are wrong

cecilia said:
as i was "in charge" of getting my aunt's converter box it seems to me that the biggest issue was/is that they can't make those things fast enough.

I had to call a store for a few weeks to see if they had gotten a shipment into their warehouse.
Weird. Best buy here constantly has at least an entire pallet full of them (stacked about 4' high) right in front of the door as you walk in. I'm thinking more distribution issue than manufacturing issue.

Wayne

Wayne said:
cecilia said:

Weird. Best buy here constantly has at least an entire pallet full of them (stacked about 4' high) right in front of the door as you walk in. I'm thinking more distribution issue than manufacturing issue.

Wayne
could be - I'm also thinking that there are a TON of customers in NY for these converter boxes. They seem to run out quickly

but I have no inside info on any of this. I'm just responding to my recent experience with getting my aunts' box

Back