OS News

What I find an interesting OS is Redox: https://www.redox-os.org/
It's built up from the start with lessons learned during ~50 years of *nix development.
With it being built in Rust, vulnerabilities caused by memory leaks and overflows - a major source of vulnerabilities - should be a thing of the past.

What I find an interesting OS is Redox: https://www.redox-os.org/
It's built up from the start with lessons learned during ~50 years of *nix development.
With it being built in Rust, vulnerabilities caused by memory leaks and overflows - a major source of vulnerabilities - should be a thing of the past.

They have an uphill battle when it comes to adoption. The desktop OS we grew up with is being slowly phased out. Heck, desktops are probably a back seat to smart phones to a majority of people. Even my elderly father uses his smart phone for most things these days.

They have an uphill battle when it comes to adoption. The desktop OS we grew up with is being slowly phased out. Heck, desktops are probably a back seat to smart phones to a majority of people. Even my elderly father uses his smart phone for most things these days.
Don't forget that Android is based on Linux. Many a server is based on Linux, and there is a trend to containerize many apps. This OS is largely POSIX compliant so porting to it is easy. And because this OS has a microkernel and a very clean codebase without being bogged down with tons of legacy code, it is a lot easier to port to new platforms, be it supercomputers or low powered IoT devices, or indeed, the wide variety of phones.

And because this OS has a microkernel and a very clean codebase without being bogged down with tons of legacy code, it is a lot easier to port to new platforms, be it supercomputers or low powered IoT devices, or indeed, the wide variety of phones.

But how many of these have come and gone? There are basically two OS for the multi-billions of smart phones out there, iOS and Android. Even Micro$oft failed in the smart phone market. For desktop and servers there are basically 3 options, Windows, OSX and *nix. Yes I am lumping BSD with *nix, same sh*t. You could even argue it is just 2, since OSX is derived from *nix.

I'm not even an OS historian and I can rattle off promising OSes. Speaking of microkernels, do you remember the one floppy OS Demo that QNX released shortly after McBill dropped QNX as an OS partner for Amiga Forever? That was pretty impressive and it died.

Last edited:
But how many of these have come and gone? There are basically two OS for the multi-billions of smart phones out there, iOS and Android. Even Micro$oft failed in the smart phone market. For desktop and servers there are basically 3 options, Windows, OSX and *nix. Yes I am lumping BSD with *nix, same sh*t. You could even argue it is just 2, since OSX is derived from *nix.

I'm not even an OS historian and I can rattle off promising OSes. Speaking of microkernels, do you remember the one floppy OS Demo that QNX released shortly after McBill dropped QNX as an OS partner for Amiga Forever? That was pretty impressive and it died.
I know the long list of failed operating systems that showed promise, and I tried quite a few as a secondary desktop OS or for a little hobby server, but the lack of software support killed most.
Redox is kind of different as I don't want to try it, I'm looking for an OS that deals with real world problems, like updating correctly and is from the ground built with security in mind, and I want to use it for my work, for using on production servers and IoT devices, which is very troublesome with current operating systems.
It's not a solution looking for a problem so to say and that's why I think it might have a chance.

Last edited:
Back