Old Computers

I have a new addition to my retro collection. I just picked up a nice Tandy 1000 HX (8088 PC Clone) the other day. This one is pretty much stock but upgraded with 640K in RAM. It boots a minimal MS-DOS 2.1 from ROM. It's primarily CGA but has a TGA mode, that is sort-of EGA compatible. The sound is ancient PC speaker.

This system was released in ~87, so way behind the times compared to the likes of the Amiga but is still a cool addition to the collection. I'll see about adding some sort of hard drive and maybe adding a couple ISA cards if I can find adapters for the non standard ISA slots. Maybe an early VGA board and early sound card. Not spending a lot on this one, just making it good for a really, really early PC gamer.

ayvts2.jpg

I know 15 years doesn't really count as old but I switched this on the other night for the first time in nearly two years. At first it seemed totally dead so I changed the CMOS battery. Still nothing. Was frustratedly pushing the power button repeatedly when suddenly there was a loud pop, a burning smell and then this:
25488268_10156825973337506_2460509926430461068_o.jpg

Think (hope) the 'explosion' was related to some non-essential part of the tower case rather than the mother board.

I know 15 years doesn't really count as old but I switched this on the other night for the first time in nearly two years. At first it seemed totally dead so I changed the CMOS battery. Still nothing. Was frustratedly pushing the power button repeatedly when suddenly there was a loud pop, a burning smell and then this:
25488268_10156825973337506_2460509926430461068_o.jpg

Think (hope) the 'explosion' was related to some non-essential part of the tower case rather than the mother board.

Weren't the Teron boards known for blowing capacitors? You might want to open it up and examine the capacitors.

Weren't the Teron boards known for blowing capacitors? You might want to open it up and examine the capacitors.
old electrolytic capacitors fail
look at each one closely
the scribed X on top is the designed failure point
if they have a bulged top or goo beside them they have failed
those are the obvious failure signs

there are ESR testers to check them in circuit, to find the non obvious failures

Here's an addition to my collection. I got the Apple IIe Platinum in early December, but couldn't anything with it until recently. I got a floppy drive, Super Serial card, joystick and ADTPro on floppy. Now I am set. I can download anything I want and write it to floppy. The first selection was probably the first computer (not arcade or console) game I ever played.

5n0oar.jpg

I couldn't get a good pic with both the display and computer at the same time.

14snxau.jpg

I am using a program on the PC side called ADTPro to transfer disk images over serial null modem to write back to original disk.

qnnx3c.jpg

I'm a C= guy through and through, but the computer wars are over. I love all classic/antique platforms.

Welp, after swearing off all things Amiga, the Vampire board has my interest enough where I have an A500 on the way to me. I'll post an update here when it's all settled in.

I didn't realize you'd completely sold off all Amigas. I still have a couple 500's and a nice 1200 here. And yeah, I noticed that Vampire board, too. I had a pang, too, and considered ordering one for a bit, but managed to remind myself that I just don't have time to mess around with it. And even if I did have time to mess with a hobby, Amiga really isn't even the hobby I'd go for, right now.

I didn't realize you'd completely sold off all Amigas. I still have a couple 500's and a nice 1200 here. And yeah, I noticed that Vampire board, too. I had a pang, too, and considered ordering one for a bit, but managed to remind myself that I just don't have time to mess around with it. And even if I did have time to mess with a hobby, Amiga really isn't even the hobby I'd go for, right now.

I don't blame you. I really never thought I'd get an Amiga classic again. It's been nearly a decade since I sold off my Amigas. Without getting long winded, the Amiga scene has become toxic and MorphOS on a cheap PowerMac fills my needs. The Amiga classic scene is nearly dead, but worse than dead it is toxic. There is almost nothing new of any quality coming out on it. The best and brightest moved on long ago. Applications I can do on my PowerMac/MorphOS. The odd game through emulation, or the Mnimig core on my Turbo Chameleon for the C64.

Only the Vampire reeled me in. 68k processor faster than PPC co-processors? On a real Amiga? I gotta give it a try. Hopefully my interest isn't fleeting. Retro computing has become a pure hobby for me again, without trying to run a side business to burn me out. About ~90% of my hobby currently is on C= 8bit. The other 10% spread across those mentioned in this thread. I'm trying to give more time to the other platforms, but a majority will likely stay on the C= 8bit.

Got the A500 and have started the process of refurbishing. Converted an ATX psu, reseated all chips and she posts! Only testing composite-mono output at the moment, but very happy. Will be a breeze to get this going. Only problem is some cosmetic cleanup, and a damaged keyboard. I may have a line on the parts for the keyboard repair already. It's a revision 6a board, which is a treat! Came with an A501 too, battery damage not critical. I officially got on the waiting list for a Vampire A500+ board :-D

kf5hqq.jpg

I have been looking at retro style computers and i saw something i would love to see on modern keyboards. The C64 had shortcuts/functions labelled on the keyboard which is super convenient. By my own estimation 99% of computer users (including me) don't use shortcuts because they are too hard to remember.

That keyboard is curious, what is it? It is not an A500 keyboard.

There is no keyboard in this picture, it was removed for testing. Unless you mean what is under the A500? It's a C128 under the A500, but unrelated.

That's a original Commodore 128 wedge used to prop up the A500. I got a real chuckle out of that.

My collection has expanded so much in the last few months, I am lacking desk space. I will be building a new desk on the other end of the workshop soon.

My collection has expanded so much in the last few months, I am lacking desk space. I will be building a new desk on the other end of the workshop soon.
I hear ya
Living in a 'petite' european house from late 19th century, using space optimally is one big tetris puzzle.

It doesn't matter how much desk space you have, though. Commodores always expand to fill any open space, and then, inevitably, begin stacking on each other, as shown. It's an age old problem that has photo documentation going back to the 80's, even.

The final part of the epic (ten years or so) History of the Amiga series is now up on Ars:
A history of the Amiga, part 12: Red vs. Blue

Reading this article now. I didn't know there was a part 1-11. So far they seem to be generally getting the story correct, though really glossing over quite a lot of history and missing a few key points. Still overall, not bad for a major site such as Arstechnica.

-Edit- By page 3 I am seeing some outright mistakes. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back