NSA taps in to Google, Skype and others

The real question is how it got there. I guess they'll just have to settle for this instead.
I remember people building those things once laser diodes got cheap. A fun little hobby project. However, of limited use because you generally need a window or some resonant reflective surface in line of sight. However, for true cunning you could use a resonant cavity and antenna which you could listen too through walls with microwaves. Designed by Theremin even. The Soviets knew it wasn't enough just to bug someone - you had to bug them awesomely.

Absolutely hypocritical but I imagine he's really just performing for a local audience.

As for the no-fly over, there are probably treaties they have signed and are obligated by that required them to do that even if they didn't really want to.

Indeed and I'd say the spineless part is pretty clear cut too:

The Bolivian foreign minister, David Choquehuanca, said France and Portugal were the first to cancel air permits. "They say it was due to technical issues..."

Technical issues indeed. Spineless liars.

Furthermore, any complaints about NSA activities aired by the governments of any of Austria, France, Portugal Spain, Italy or indeed the UK should be treated with the disdain that such hollow, hypocritical whining merits.

I always knew the UK was America's bitch but I didn't realise that so much of the rest of Europe would just as happily bend over and take the US rogering without so much as a whimper.

The US is a militarily imperialistic nation. We have many nations by the proverbial balls. We provide billions in aid, military, and localized spending around the world. Also, if you want something internationally you want the USA as your friend in NATO, UN, G8, to back you. Over time I'd expect the requests of the USA get fulfilled. Welcome to the control of the world through the 1 remaining SuperDuper Power. You may have your freedom if the Gov so chooses.

I always knew the UK was America's bitch but I didn't realise that so much of the rest of Europe would just as happily bend over and take the US rogering without so much as a whimper.
The US has probably got some good dirt on much of the leadership.

The US has probably got some good dirt on much of the leadership.

If that's all it is, it must be really good:
Morales has said that while the plane was parked in Vienna, the Spanish ambassador to Austria arrived with two embassy personnel and they asked to search the plane. He said he denied them permission.

Seriously, WTF?
Can you imagine this happening the other way around?
"Following the refusal of Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and Venezuela to allow Air Force One entry to it's airspace, Obama's plane was forced to land in Columbia. Obama claimed that whilst on the tarmac Bogota, the Bolivian ambassador to Columbia arrived with two embassy personnel and they asked to search the plane."

On a slightly more lighthearted note:
"We met with the leaders of my party and they asked us for several measures and if necessary, we will close the embassy of the United States," Morales said on Thursday. "We do not need the embassy of the United States."

Good luck with that, Evo. :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/05/european-states-snowden-morales-plane-nsa

France's top security official publicly admonished the United States at the American ambassador's 4 July garden party

Too late. Your nation's actions the day before have already shown anyone paying attention how utterly at the beck and call of the US your government is.

Venezuela and Nicaragua make Snowden asylum offers
Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro said it would give asylum to the intelligence leaker, who is believed to be holed up in a transit area of Moscow airport.

Meanwhile Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said his country would do so "if circumstances permit".
Wikileaks said Mr Snowden had applied to six additional countries on Friday.

The whistleblowing website said it would not name the countries "due to attempted US interference".
Mr Snowden has already asked 21 countries for asylum, most of whom have turned down his request.

But even if a country accepted the American's application, getting there could prove difficult, the BBC's Steven Rosenberg, in Moscow, reports.

European airspace could be closed to any aircraft suspected of carrying the fugitive, our correspondent says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23201774

I hope the quote "The American public is turning against NSA leaker Edward Snowden, with increasing numbers of people now believing he was wrong to reveal details of secret US government surveillance, a survey has found." is in error or is a fabricated statistic because if it's true then it means that America is in worse trouble than we thought. A population of morons or just media owned slaves? Either way, not hopeful.

I think Snowden made a mistake when he leaked more than just the NSA secrets involving Google and Skype. It seems that he has revealed some secrets involving foreign spy campaigns and that has turned the tide against him. I've read comments in other forums where people said they initially supported him but turned against him when they saw leaks for other things that were perfectly legal. I also read somewhere that he got the NSA job with the intent to leak, but I can't say I've bothered to verify any of that.

Honestly, not sure why he left China. And if he had to leave, he could have picked a better nation to travel to. Like maybe Vietnam or even North Korea. I don't think he really thought this through. He should have just stayed home and hoped for a chance at an open court.

I don't think he really thought this through.

Probably not entirely but that isn't really surprising. I imagine he was probably feeling under immense pressure from the moment he realised (assuming that's what happened) that his conscience couldn't tolerate what he was party to.

I've read comments in other forums where people said they initially supported him but turned against him when they saw leaks for other things that were perfectly legal. I also read somewhere that he got the NSA job with the intent to leak, but I can't say I've bothered to verify any of that.

Where there is a survey there is a counter survey.

Back