New Gun Control... Necessary or Politically Expedient

I see your points about the NRA and on the surface, I agree. However, the NRA is only effective if the public joins and supports the NRA. Wayne LaPierre can be the NRA's worst enemy on occasion... Jack booted thugs comes to mind as well as his latest press fiasco. As far as being an NRA member and future participation, that's your choice.

Regards,
ltstanfo
Minnesotans buying a record number of guns and permits NRA is definitely winning as gun manufacturers contribute to the NRA.

kinda funny... when i was watching the video it occurred to me that muslims and rednecks both enjoy celebratory gunfire.... :D common ground, it appears; has been found! :cool:

This picture just popped up on my Facebook feed and reminded me of this thread and the longstanding joke Lee and I have:
21151_10151459186203611_1625058722_n.jpg

Nice one Robert! :pint:

Just for that, I will temporarily disable my ICBM this weekend while I am SCUBA diving. :D

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Perhaps it's a really bad idea to give a loaded gun and let your 5year old run around unsupervised. My kids 5&6 are allowed to have sharp knives, but we supervise their use. Call me paranoid... I call it being a responsible parent.

when i went to school, our guns were in the windows of our trucks for all to see... when we skipped school it was usually due to some hunting season or another... a loaded gun sat on a shelf by the front door... two or three in the barn... and the treasured ones in a gun safe ive had the combination to since i was twelve... when i came home from school i had to milk 80 some cows, dad bought me a 22 with one of those old west style gunbelts and holster... i wore it everyday when i went to get the cows from the far end of the pasture... during pheasant season id take a shotgun... i didn't feel like a god... it didn't give me any sensations of having a "thunder penis" either... it was a tool in my world... a tool that provided food for my family and kept predators away from our livestock... america doesn't have a gun problem any more than it has a crack issue... just because it's going on somewhere... isn't what makes it everywhere... victoria kansas... guns flippin everywhere...gun crimes? 0... i gotta wonder what all the rest of you are doing wrong?

Reflecting back to the topic - New Gun Control is it necessary?

I think the question for any countries are what dangers are acceptable, or unacceptable. Terrorists we have the overbearing Patriot Act, they kill a few Americans ever year. Though this pales in comparison to the 30K+ deaths per year for guns. For kids 15-24 in our society guns are the #2 cause of death, larger than the next 10 reasons combined. (Autos are #1).

It doesn't make good rational sense to be fighting terrorism at billions per year and not thinking about shoring up the guns. I think a good first step would be to drop the Patriot Act. The next step would be to develop an understanding of is to which extent the dangers are, or are not acceptable for us.

Reflecting back to the topic - New Gun Control is it necessary?

I think the question for any countries are what dangers are acceptable, or unacceptable. Terrorists we have the overbearing Patriot Act, they kill a few Americans ever year. Though this pales in comparison to the 30K+ deaths per year for guns. For kids 15-24 in our society guns are the #2 cause of death, larger than the next 10 reasons combined. (Autos are #1).

It doesn't make good rational sense to be fighting terrorism at billions per year and not thinking about shoring up the guns. I think a good first step would be to drop the Patriot Act. The next step would be to develop an understanding of is to which extent the dangers are, or are not acceptable for us.

I would also like more research. My "pet peeve" is the apparent lack of enforcing existing federal gun laws (which carry mandatory sentences by the way). Whether you believe the widely touted 20,000 (I presume this combines all federal and state laws) number often pushed by gun advocates or the Brookings Institution number of "300 relevant gun laws" (I presume only federal and select state laws), how will 1 more more federal law be any better than the (for sake of argument) existing 300?! Is there real data to answer this question once an for all? I cannot find anything conclusive on either side. I am aware however that federal gun crime prosecutions have also declined in recent years. And we are being told more federal laws would make us safer? Huh?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50140020n

Regards,
Ltstanfo

the greatest disasters on earth are caused by human nature, not mother nature. try fixing that with gun laws and/or more guns...

the greatest disasters on earth are caused by human nature, not mother nature. try fixing that with gun laws and/or more guns...

I defy you to point to a single thing mankind has ever done to top Krakatoa or Pompeii.

That said. Requiring that firearms be locked up when not in use, or at the very least out of reach of toddlers would, it seem to prevent these kinds of needless deaths. I'm not even talking gun safes here, just a locked drawer or something.

I'm not even talking gun safes here, just a locked drawer or something.
Ahh, the things we think kids can't get into. My son at about 9 months old was given a 'child proof medicine bottle'. Which he opened in about 15 minutes. At 13 months those toddler drawer locks were defeated. He, also, pulled the electric plug covers out of the outlets. He didn't bother them if they didn't have a cover. So to stop him playing with electricity we uncovered the outlets. It worked.

1 locked drawer, no key in lock.

Short of putting a crowbar to it, how would you expect a toddler to get into it?

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk HD

I defy you to point to a single thing mankind has ever done to top Krakatoa or Pompeii.

That said. Requiring that firearms be locked up when not in use, or at the very least out of reach of toddlers would, it seem to prevent these kinds of needless deaths. I'm not even talking gun safes here, just a locked drawer or something.

good gawd you made that way too easy...

at least 36,417 people were killed and additional effects were felt all over the world.

An estimated 16,000 people died due to hydrothermal pyroclastic flows.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_eruption_of_Krakatoa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Vesuvius

from the wikis...

cars cancer drugs murder guns dui hiroshima nagasaki wars in general tobacco diabetes aids hunger... we didnt start the fire, but you can damn well bet we made it burn brighter...;)

cars cancer drugs murder guns dui hiroshima nagasaki wars in general tobacco diabetes aids hunger... we didnt start the fire, but you can damn well bet we made it burn brighter...;)
Hey, I bet that could make a cool song!

Back