Midges

These wee beasties were the bane of my life as kid when we had a stationary caravan (trailer) in a wee Highland village called Arrochar. Fortunately only a few places in Scotland get it this bad.

Erg. That video makes my skin crawl. We get a bunch of those little tiny buggers around the Great Lakes, too. Not usually as many as in that video, except maybe deep in the most boggy, rotting and stagnant water areas. Even then, you'll usually get a pretty huge population of frogs that'll help cut them down.

But the worst part is their swarms often have some biters and mosquitos mixed in. With all the collisions from the little ones, you don't realize the mosquitos are eating you alive until that evening when you discover you have 1,000 little red itchy lumps.

Erg. That video makes my skin crawl. We get a bunch of those little tiny buggers around the Great Lakes, too. Not usually as many as in that video, except maybe deep in the most boggy, rotting and stagnant water areas. Even then, you'll usually get a pretty huge population of frogs that'll help cut them down.
Yes, there are certain areas, mainly in the Western Highlands, where they are a real nuisance. No problem at all in the cities.
But the worst part is their swarms often have some biters and mosquitos mixed in. With all the collisions from the little ones, you don't realize the mosquitos are eating you alive until that evening when you discover you have 1,000 little red itchy lumps.
Luckily we still don't get many mosquitos this far north in the UK (yet - they're creeping further up every year).
And one good(?) thing about midges, despite biting like hell, is they don't seem to spread disease, even if you get mauled by a swarm of them and end up like an itchy pin cushion.

Holy camoly! Thankfully we don't have those here in NL, but we do have horse flies and they are total b*st*rds

If I ever get the chance to visit Scotland I'm wearing a space suit

If I start complaining about mosquitoes in South Florida during summer, I'll remember this :eek:

Our local authorities actually do a pretty good job controlling mosquitoes. I haven't seen the fumigating trucks in at least a decade if not longer. Hmm the again, come to think of it, I wonder if the ~week long cold snap about 10 years back killed off lots of the dormant eggs. That event did help to cull much of the invasive iguana population.

Back