Meet Linux’s little brother: Zephyr, a tiny open-source IoT RTOS

the_leander

Reaction score
The Linux Foundation has launched the Zephyr Project, to foster an open source, small footprint, modular, scalable, connected, real-time OS for IoT devices.

Normally we think of the Linux Foundation as being all about Linux. But as the organization has matured, it has expanding its scope to embrace an ever-wider range of open source standards and software. Despite the existence and widespread use of minimalistic Linux implementations including uClinux, OpenWrt, Brillo, and Ubuntu Core, the exponential proliferation of smart, connected devices — such as light bulbs, thermostats, security cameras, sensors, and many others — has fuelled intense interest in minimizing the power, space, and cost budgets of IoT hardware.

Full story here.

Cool. Is that for those DIY build devices and computers (their names escape me at the moment)... ?

Has anyone we know tried this yet?
I work with open embedded linux which is hilarious to me - an embedded system with a CPU 900 times faster than my first Amiga with more memory and non-volatile storage - and it still takes 20 seconds to boot!!
Zephyr sounds interesting. I'd like to see smaller and faster come back. Linux seems to have some penetration now (and developers with experience), it's always a hard slog to push out something new.

Cool. Is that for those DIY build devices and computers (their names escape me at the moment)... ?

Arduino and the like, yes. Also Intel's Quark series of micro controllers.

Has anyone we know tried this yet?
I work with open embedded linux which is hilarious to me - an embedded system with a CPU 900 times faster than my first Amiga with more memory and non-volatile storage - and it still takes 20 seconds to boot!!
Zephyr sounds interesting. I'd like to see smaller and faster come back. Linux seems to have some penetration now (and developers with experience), it's always a hard slog to push out something new.

It's funny you mention the Amiga, as if you look at how Zephyr handles ram, you'll probably feel right at home. For both good and bad.

Back