How long until Skynet becomes self aware?

The design looks more Aperture Science than Skynet, but I'm not sure if that is better or worse. :D

yes, after quite a long time on research they got these devices to walk and dance.
They aren't thinking.

Clickthrough for video...

Department of Homeland Security tests robot dogs to patrol southern border

(WSVN) - The Department of Homeland Security is testing robot dogs to patrol the southern border.

The Ghost Vision 60 can travel for more than seven miles in three hours on a single battery charge.

It’s been tested to inspect train cars in railyards and has explored residential buildings.

The machine can be manually or independently operated.

(WSVN) - The Department of Homeland Security is testing robot dogs to patrol the southern border.

The Ghost Vision 60 can travel for more than seven miles in three hours on a single battery charge.

It’s been tested to inspect train cars in railyards and has explored residential buildings.

Whenever I see one of those Boston Dynamics style dogs these days it reminds me of the wonderful "Metalhead" episode of Black Mirror from a few years back.

-EDIT-
Just found an old interview with Brooker, where he acknowledges the episode was inspired by those Boston Dynamic clips:
"It was from watching Boston Dynamics videos, but crossed with — have you seen the film All Is Lost? I wanted to do a story where there was almost no dialogue. And with those videos, there’s something very creepy watching them where they get knocked over, and they look sort of pathetic laying there, but then they slowly manage to get back up."

Last edited:

Was just watching a video on the energy density of Ammonia, and how it can be easily liquified - which prompted me to have a look to see if anyone is working on ammonia fuels cells, and indeed several groups are. Given that liquid ammonia has an order of magnitude higher energy density than lithium ion batteries which could drive a dog 70 miles for the same weight of ammonia as batteries (excluding weight of fuel cell though).
Ammonia has its problems, like the production on NOx compounds and the fact that ammonia gas is toxic, but if these operate in remote areas those issues become less important. In fact, it could be considered a positive that, if you shoot one of these things, and you are downwind, you die!

I thought we specifically had a thread for the horrors of people working for Amazon, but I can't find it :confused: May need to start one, but this fits here too.

AMAZON WORKER FILMS ESCAPE FROM WAREHOUSE AFTER BEING TRAPPED BY ROBOT WALLS. YOU READ THAT RIGHT.

What do you do when Skynet becomes aware and starts screwing with you? Well, we live in America in 2022, so when things happen—anything, really—you pull out your smartphone and start recording a TikTok video.

It would take place in an Amazon warehouse, too. When this guy goes to grab some stuff out of this ridiculous maze of shelves, some little robots decide to have some fun and start moving those shelves around, blocking him in, forcing him to then set off on an adventure to escape.

-snip-

Did anyone happen to catch the menacing look on the robots’ faces? They knew what they were doing. They knew they had the upper hand. I half expected an entire squad of them to start synchronizing their efforts, blocking him in a small cubby hole and then moving together the two walls like the trash compactor in Star Wars.

Back