goodbye, Yogi

I guess you would have to be American, [strike]a New Yorker and[/strike] or like baseball to really care, but the guy was special.

FTFY

Definitely agree that Yogi Berra was a special guy. Of course, he might even be better known now for his quotes than even his baseball days. I was listening to our own Detroit legend Al Kaline talking about his friendship with Yogi on our local sports radio before the Tiger's game yesterday.

many of Yogi's "le mot juste" have now become part of American idiom.

Love the Yankees (hate the Red Sox to my dad's extreme disappointment). And loved this guy's logic. Yogi Berra's death upset my dad as it does when any baseball legend passes on, he can't stop talking about it. My mom has been greeted to Yogi-isms all week. With me, I guess it's cliche, but I think of "It ain't over til it's over" when in the middle of something and things aren't quite going as planned - I mean, it's true. You never know how anything will end unless you stay committed and follow it through - to the end - and sometimes it surprises you. I agree with Cecilia, the guy was special, said what was on his mind, and people respected that.

Back