Funny Pics '15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proof that Pi = 4.

BtJh3aiCMAALVdb.jpg

Proof of Squaring the circle ?!?

The way marginal tax rates work is more like - when your kids take more than a quart of ice-cream, put 90% of what is over a quart back in the tub.Top marginal tax rate was about 25% in the 20s (falling from 75% the previous decade) and then the economy blew up (because rich people can spend all their money so they gamble it - "invest"). After the 1929 crash marginal rates went up to 90% by the 40s and stayed there til 63. They cruised at about 75% until Reagan and have been 30-40% since then and the economy has regained the wealth distribution profile of the 30s.
The median income in the US is about 50k. If that were one scoop of ice-cream then the top marginal tax rate (of 40% at the moment) wouldn't kick in till you were getting 8 scoops, and at that point it would mean that if you got another scoop, 40% of that scoop would go back but the previous scoops are taxed at a lower rate. The idea that the average citizen would be anywhere close to having a chance of paying top marginal rate is just a hoax perpetrated on poor people by rich people.

Guys, I know we go off on political rants constantly, but this thread specifically was supposed to be about funny pics, not political pics... Right?

Proof that Pi = 4.

BtJh3aiCMAALVdb.jpg

Proof of Squaring the circle ?!?
Okay, interesting. However, how about if the perimeter were 5 or 6, not 4. I just accept that pi is pi, but it was interesting to contemplate that idea for a minute.

Okay, interesting. However, how about if the perimeter were 5 or 6, not 4. I just accept that pi is pi, but it was interesting to contemplate that idea for a minute.

The "proof" goes wrong at step #2, the square is the outer bounds, there is no inner bounds ( a square of sides of .7071, perimeter = 2.8284) a first approximation of Pi (2.8284 < π < 4)
the rest of the steps just confirm the perimeter of a square is 4
;)

Archimedes computed upper and lower bounds of π, by drawing a regular hexagon inside and another outside the circle, and then successively doubling the number of sides until he reached a 96-sided regular polygon. By calculating the perimeters of these two polygons, he proved that Pi was between the values of 223/71 < π < 22/7 (3.1408 < π < 3.1429)

Last edited:
The "proof" goes wrong at step #2, the square is the outer bounds, there is no inner bounds ( a square of sides of .7071, perimeter = 2.8284) a first approximation of Pi (2.8284 < π < 4)
the rest of the steps just confirm the perimeter of a square is 4
;)

Archimedes computed upper and lower bounds of π, by drawing a regular hexagon inside and another outside the circle, and then successively doubling the number of sides until he reached a 96-sided regular polygon. By calculating the perimeters of these two polygons, he proved that Pi was between the values of 223/71 < π < 22/7 (3.1408 < π < 3.1429)

Yup.... But I do love me some troll math and science pictures. That one was particularly good, too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back