Finally - Some Real Questions for the Obama Administration

ltstanfo

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that for once, the mainstream media isn't entirely asleep (or bending over).

My congratulations to Jake Tapper (ABC) and Ms. Loven (AP) for trying to do their job.

Now let's see if this get reported by any other news outlet.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

obamacuts.jpg

Let’s say the administration finds $100 million in efficiencies every working day for the rest of the Obama administration’s first term. That’s still around $80 billion, or around 2% of one year’s federal spending.

Paul Krugman? :slingshot:

$100 million is what the federal government will spend on interest per day over the next 10 years just on the stimulus bill.

I agree a $100Million isn't much. However, $100M here and $100M there do add up in the end. It's not like Obama inherited a budget surplus like Bush had.

The arguement sounds a bit like -- it's not enough so don't bother. Wrong approach in IMO. Start there and let's add to it!

faethor said:
I agree a $100Million isn't much. However, $100M here and $100M there do add up in the end. It's not like Obama inherited a budget surplus like Bush had.

The arguement sounds a bit like -- it's not enough so don't bother. Wrong approach in IMO. Start there and let's add to it!

I disagree. I think the administration has a problem with math. First they tell us that 8 billion in earmarks isn't much and now they are trying to tell us that 100 million is a significant start? What "new math" are they using? Even if, as you suggest, they add a 100 million here and there when might that equal the "not much" 8 billion in earmarks (call it an offset for the pork they willingly spent)? Even then it apparently won't be much (judging by the original press secretary comment)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

ltstanfo said:
I'm glad to see that for once, the mainstream media isn't entirely asleep (or bending over).

Funny that this thread seems to have decided that the $100 million is the interesting part of the story. The $100 million is tiny, of course, even in proportion to the rest of the cuts the new administration is proposing, but the bigger story is the progress of the wire tapping case.

(And why no mention of Harman yet - that should be a big story!)

Back