Enjoy the World Cup while it lasts...

Glaucus

Reaction score
Russian Priest: Multi-Colored Cleats Make World Cup a ‘Homosexual Abomination’

Enjoy the World Cup’s carnival atmosphere while it lasts: the next two tournaments will be held under joyless, autocratic, homophobic governments.

I for one really enjoyed this World Cup so far. Aside from Greece getting into the top 16, it's been rather exciting all around. Looking forward to Brazil vs Germany. We setup an HDTV right above my desk at work for everyone to watch the entire tournament. Awesome stuff!

So the hugging and the crying is OK if it's done in gray.

By the way
which bans promoting homosexuality to those under age 18
You know what we should do to prove our PC cred. We need to have a law that makes it compulsory to promote homosexuality to those under age 18. That will show the Russians how tolerant we are. I'd love to see the Republican party bring something like that forward. I think it would energize their base.

Well, there are anti-gay laws on the books in the US (mostly in the form of anti-sodomy laws), but here's the thing: they keep getting crushed by that peace of paper called a constitution. But Russian homophobia is alot more deep rooted than what you see in the law books. Russian banks been "urged" to not deal with homosexuals, and many of them comply. And that's just one example of many. Many Republicans would love to make the US more like Russia or Qatar, but it's doubtful they'll ever get that chance. And let's face it, overall the US is socially far more progressive than Russia even if there is a sizable and overly vocal bunch that are not.

And let's face it, overall the US is socially far more progressive than Russia even if there is a sizable and overly vocal bunch that are not.
It depends on the populations. The rednecks and the fundies are the same in every nation. Meanwhile the townies are generally more tolerant and Moscow and St. Petersberg have big LGBT communities.
However, the politicians are generally pretty conservative perhaps because the kind of people who become politicians are generally more conservative or you are more likely to get that kind of politician when things are rough. Gays are definitely an easy whipping horse for a few quick votes. Witness the gay marriage "debate".

Also the law was framed in language that made it hard to vote against. The entire Duma voted for it. How do you vote against "protecting children"? That's how the Harper government is tries to sell the internet spying bill.

One thing I'd be curious to know is how many of those conservative Russian politicians are gay. And Russian priests for that matter.

BsDsW5KIIAA7Tb4.jpg

Wonder how many members of the Brazilian team will survive the year? Maybe they'll seek asylum in Germany - that'll be a turn around.

Well, I think most of them play in Europe anyway.

lol, we all enjoy the World Cup in our special ways. :D

Good luck to Oranje. An all European final would be somewhat unexpected I'd say, but totally possible.

lol, we all enjoy the World Cup in our special ways. :D

Good luck to Oranje. An all European final would be somewhat unexpected I'd say, but totally possible.
Thanks, but alas :(

Though it was an extremely tense game, plenty of entertainment :)

You just had to ruin a perfectly good thread didn't you?
Sorry. OK, back on topic everyone. Putin is the Great Satan. All Russian soccer players are in mortal danger from queer bashers. (Though they'll probably still be safer in Russia than the Brazilian players would be in Brazil.)

Back