Conservatives - Typhoid Mary coming to your town.

faethor

Reaction score
We have Chris Christie that doesn't like those progressive vaccines. Afterall, who should want to prevent illnesses.

[url=http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...be-able-to-opt-out-of-mandatory-handwashing ] NC Senator Thom Thillis wants hand washing at eateries to be optional [/url]

And of course we see Republicans in Congress trying for the 56th time to overturn the ACA and go back to what we had before.

Throw in the Anti-Gay Marriage and demand that laws 2K years ago were good enough that we don't need to progress from Hucklebee and it seems very clear the conservatives hate change and improvements.

Heck MN's own Republican once stated that no minimum wage should be enforced because then we'd have 100% work. Damn progressives outlawed slavery means a lack of a hard day's work.

It's been a sad week for Republicans and it's only Tuesday.

Last edited:
I am concerned Sen. Tillis does not understand what it means to "reduce regulatory burden". He proposes to replace a fairly simple regulation requiring all restaurant workers to wash hands after toilet use, which is fairly easy to understand, with a different regulation that mandates either handwashing or public "we do not require our staff to wash hands" signs that must meet certain requirements regarding dimensions, font sizes and visibiility / placement.

Clearly, the end result would be a regulation that is considerably more complex than the original one and leaves quite a lot of room for misinterpretation and legal uncertainties.

In addition to any effects on public health, how would this proposal reduce regulatory burden? It would not . It would do the exact opposite, which I must say I find pretty embarrassing considering this was proposed by a self-proclaimed deregulation proponent.

My view is Sen. Tillis changes means lowered to no responsibility for businesses and no rights for citizens.

See if your parent gets sick or dies due to a lack of sanitation as long as there is a sign posted saying sanitation is optional then the business is within the law and the citizen has no recourse.

IMO like Hobby Lobby dictates their religion to their workers, we continue to see Republicans upholding the rights of businesses over the rights of individuals. This type of fascism has to end if we want a country that's 'for the people'.

See if your parent gets sick or dies due to a lack of sanitation as long as there is a sign posted saying sanitation is optional then the business is within the law and the citizen has no recourse.
No, he's saying that the market should do its work. If you tell people that you don't wash your hands before you make their food then the smart people will stop eating your food (but I guess the mouth breathers and those without a choice will continue to do so). That's sound as far as it goes but if all businesses go to the no-hand-wash because they can get more done that way then consumers don't have a choice, boutique hand-wash-delis may pop up charging more but not everyone can use them and some businesses will undoubtedly cheat by not putting up a sign and hoping they don't get caught.
On the flip side, regulation puts everyone on a level playing field, however, this will lead to consumers trusting the businesses more than they perhaps should because, if they can cut costs by not hand washing they may simply skip it hoping they don't get caught.
Either way, figuring out who is naughty and nice takes vigilance and that has a cost. Either the government has to have people regularly looking at hand washing practices (in either regime - to check compliance or signage) or people have to organize their own networks to disseminate news about who got sick at what eatery (and further, to police nefarious lies introduced into the system by competitors).
There are problems with both approaches but (caveat - haven't done the math on this) I suspect that regulation, enforcement and real penalties is probably the more cost effective route for society as a whole and probably for the business owner too.

@Fluffy,
You're right he is saying the market should do its work. The problem here lies that the only measure of value to society would be a monetary value. In theory a few deaths would close the business as no one would want to return to eat there. The harsh reality is the market didn't and doesn't work this way. Sen. Tillis needs some history lessons to understand why in the late 19th century resulted in the early 20th century creation of the FDA.

The idea here is that 'We the people' establish a union to ensure general welfare. Sanitation wasn't being provided and we established a way to create a rule that would better, and did better, the general welfare.

I guess I'm a liberal since I don't agree with the conservative tea-party idea that the only value society should hold is a monetary one. In my mind the market is a construct of the nation (it abides to the rules of fairness and equity that we the people establish) not the other way around.

Not having strict sanitation values while running a restaurant is about as UN-professional as one can get.

I wouldn't EVER go to any restaurant if there were no standards.

the entire industry would die

Back